Taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester - nuts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking five upper division math courses concurrently and the potential overlap between them. The speaker suggests discussing with advisors or professors and carefully checking course requirements to make an informed decision. They also mention their own experience with taking multiple upper division courses in one semester and advise against taking too many courses at once. The topic of upper division courses and their prerequisites is also brought up. Overall, the speaker emphasizes the importance of careful planning and seeking guidance when considering taking multiple upper division courses at once.
space-milk
Greetings all,

The classes in question: Statistics, Probability Theory, Abstract Algebra II, Discrete Math II, and Combinatorics.

Considering the overlap between some of these courses, would it be wise to take them concurrently? If you had to remove one class, which one would it be and why?

I appreciate any insight/advice/admonishment.

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to Statistics, Probability Theory, and Combinatorics ... you should discuss with your advisor or professors whether it's OK to take them concurrently, or whether it's preferable to take them in a particular sequence.

Likes space-milk and Vanadium 50
Taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester - nuts?

Only if you want to learn the material.

Likes bhobba, PhDeezNutz and space-milk
It can be that statistics requires probability theory, if the stats course is upper division. A bit weird how you mentioned them being upper division...

MidgetDwarf said:
It can be that statistics requires probability theory, if the stats course is upper division. A bit weird how you mentioned them being upper division...
Why is it weird? They're all 400-level courses.

space-milk said:
Why is it weird? They're all 400-level courses.
That they are able to simultaneously enroll in both upper division Probability Theory and Statistics. Typically, the automated system would not allow students to do this, without signing a waiver, or asking for instructor approval. Since the upper division stats course requires probability theory. So maybe the stats course is lower division course. Which is why I think it is weird...

Likes bhobba and space-milk
space-milk said:
Greetings all,

The classes in question: Statistics, Probability Theory, Abstract Algebra II, Discrete Math II, and Combinatorics.

Considering the overlap between some of these courses, would it be wise to take them concurrently? If you had to remove one class, which one would it be and why?

Later in the topic was some attention to upper division and course requirements.
Your university's course catalog or the Mathematics Department's program information and list of courses can help to understand more clearly. You or your department's advisors would be able to help in course selection using the information about the program and the courses.

Likes space-milk
space-milk said:
Greetings all,

Other than maybe too many courses space-milk plans to take in a single semester, some programs for Mathematics undergraduate degree could very well list a Statistics or Probability or Statistics & Probability as a first course UPPER DIVISION, without showing any prerequisite stat or prob course at lower division.

To be sure for @space-milk, he must check with his department's information or counselors very carefully.

I didn't do 5 UD math courses in a semester. I did do four, however, and the professor of one, Mathematical Economics, let me study the prerequisites - macro and microeconomics, during the break. It wasn't five UD math courses, but a mixture of four Computer Science and Math Courses. One was Analysis B which required Analysis A as a prerequisite. Again the professor let me study it over the break. To me, that is a more reasonable approach.

Thanks
Bill

What is "UD"? Maybe I missed the statement what this means.

Upper Division?

I did an online check of 1 Mathematics department's program. What I saw there looked like for Mathematics Majors, the first of any needed Statistics/Probability/Probability&Statistics course/s were at upper division. And I did not find a lower division such course as prerequite for the upper division ones.

symbolipoint said:
What is "UD"? Maybe I missed the statement what this means.

Upper Division?

Here in Aus, it means either a third-year level subject or taking a Masters level subject undergrad. In the US, it means 3rd, 4th year or Masters level subjects taken undergrad. But stats a UD course has me puzzled. When I did my degree Mathematical Statistics 1A and 1B was all first year. Second-year was 2A and 2B. The UD courses were Mathematical Statistics 3A and 3B. I wasn't that keen on stats but liked the teacher. Due to timetabling constraints, I self-studied 3A - it was just proving some things like the T-Distribution etc.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Maybe I am still misunderstanding. Course code names could vary in classification depending on country.
Here's the way I understand:
MAINNAME 105, lower division and very likely introductory, but not necessarily too much as introductory
MAINNAME 100 , lower division, more advanced, maybe at intermediate level
MAINNAME 315, upper division; might be offered at local community college, and certainly is offered at university; not graduate level although some grad students could be enrolled in it
MAINNAME 400, upper division, and almost always is graduate level
MAINNAME 550, upper division, and at graduate level

I had guessed that UD meant "upper division" and therefore LD would mean "lower division";
I could be wrong.

symbolipoint said:
Other than maybe too many courses space-milk plans to take in a single semester,
5 courses in a semester is too many? That's the standard for undergraduate degrees in Canada (and Engineering programs often require 6) but I suppose it all depends on how many credit hours a course entails.

1. What are the benefits of taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester?

Taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester can help you save time and money by allowing you to complete your degree faster. It also allows you to focus on one subject at a time, leading to a deeper understanding of the material. Additionally, taking multiple courses in a single semester can demonstrate your strong time management and academic skills to potential employers or graduate schools.

2. Is it possible to successfully complete 5 UD math courses in a single semester?

Yes, it is possible to successfully complete 5 UD math courses in a single semester. However, it requires a significant amount of dedication, time management, and strong study skills. It is important to carefully consider your workload and make sure you have the necessary support and resources to handle the workload.

3. What challenges should I expect when taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester?

Taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester can be challenging due to the heavy workload and the advanced level of the courses. You may also experience burnout or fatigue if you do not prioritize self-care and take breaks when needed. It is important to stay organized and communicate with your professors if you are struggling with the workload.

4. How can I prepare for taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester?

To prepare for taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester, it is important to review the course syllabi and familiarize yourself with the material before the semester starts. You can also reach out to professors or students who have taken the courses before for tips and advice. It is also important to create a study schedule and prioritize your time effectively.

5. Are there any alternatives to taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester?

Yes, there are alternatives to taking 5 UD math courses in a single semester. You can spread out the courses over multiple semesters, take summer courses, or consider taking online courses. It is important to discuss your options with your academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your academic goals and personal circumstances.