Taking a partial trace of a multipartite state for measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses how POVMs are used in quantum measurement, specifically in the context of multipartite systems. The measurement instrument, represented by a pure state |\phi\rangle\langle\phi|, interacts with the system to produce a state U \rho_{AB} U^\dagger. A projective measurement is then taken on the instrument only, with the operator corresponding to eigenvalue a_k being 1 \otimes |k\rangle\langle k|. After the measurement, the total system state is given by the numerator in the expression \frac{(1 \otimes |k\rangle\langle k|)U \rho_{AB} U^\dagger(1 \otimes |k\rangle
beefbrisket
TL;DR Summary
Seeking help in algebraic manipulation of a partial trace on a multipartite state to get it into the form of operators operating on only one of the subsystems' state.
I am attempting to understand how POVMs fit in with quantum measurement, and I think I am getting tripped up in notation when it comes to multipartite systems. The situation is as follows:

System: [itex]\rho_A[/itex]
Measurement instrument: [itex]\rho_B = |\phi\rangle\langle\phi|[/itex] (pure state)

The multipartite system starts in state [itex]\rho_{AB} = \rho_A \otimes \rho_B[/itex] and to make a measurement the instrument interacts with the system resulting in a state [itex]U \rho_{AB} U^\dagger [/itex]. Then a projective measurement is taken on the instrument only. The operator corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]a_k[/itex] for that would be [itex]1 \otimes |k\rangle\langle k|[/itex]. Let's assume no degeneracy in eigenvalues.

After the projective measurement (and getting outcome [itex]a_k[/itex]), the total system state would be
[tex]\frac{(1 \otimes |k\rangle\langle k|)U \rho_{AB} U^\dagger(1 \otimes |k\rangle\langle k|)}{tr(U \rho_{AB} U^\dagger(1 \otimes |k\rangle\langle k|))}[/tex]

Focusing on the numerator, I take a partial trace wrt system B to find the state of system A. After doing so, how can I manipulate it into the form [itex]M_k \rho_A M_k^\dagger[/itex]? I think I am getting bogged down in the Dirac notation somehow. I'm unsure how to apply the basis elements with which I am taking the partial trace due to [itex]U[/itex] being there.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to note that expressions such as ##\langle k| U|\phi\rangle## are still operators on the system.

To practice, you could temporarily work in finite dimensions and represent the tensor product as a Kronecker product, then ordinary matrix calculus with indices works. At the end, translate your derivation back into bra-ket notation.

1. What is a "partial trace" in the context of a multipartite state?

A partial trace is a mathematical operation that allows for the measurement of a specific subsystem within a larger multipartite state. It essentially traces out all the other subsystems and leaves only the desired subsystem to be measured.

2. Why is taking a partial trace necessary for measurement in multipartite states?

Measuring a specific subsystem in a multipartite state can be challenging because of the entanglement and complexity of the state. Taking a partial trace simplifies the measurement process by reducing the state to a single subsystem, making it easier to analyze and interpret the measurement results.

3. How is a partial trace performed on a multipartite state?

To perform a partial trace, the state is first expressed as a tensor product of its subsystems. Then, the trace is taken over all the subsystems except for the one that is being measured. This results in a reduced density matrix for the desired subsystem.

4. What information can be obtained by taking a partial trace of a multipartite state?

Taking a partial trace allows for the calculation of reduced density matrices, which contain information about the state of the desired subsystem. This information can include the probabilities of different measurement outcomes and the entanglement between the subsystem and the rest of the state.

5. Are there any limitations to taking a partial trace of a multipartite state?

One limitation is that taking a partial trace can only provide information about the measured subsystem and not the entire multipartite state. Additionally, the measurement outcomes may be affected by the entanglement between the subsystem and the rest of the state, making it difficult to interpret the results without further analysis.