Tan() -- calculate the exact value w/o a calculator

In summary, the conversation involved finding the angle ∠A (α) in a right triangle ABC, where ∠C is 90° and side AC is √3 cm and side BC is 1 cm. The solution involved using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to find the value of α, which was determined to be 30°. The conversation also mentioned an equilateral triangle and its properties.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I have the triangle ABC where ∠C is 90°. The side AC is ## \sqrt{3} \ cm ## and the side BC is 1 cm. What is ∠A (α)?

The attempt
$$tan(a) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}$$

The problem is that I have to calculate the exact value of α without any calculator.

I tried to calculate the third side by applying the pythagoras theorem. AB turned out to be 2 cm.

I even tried to write it like that $$tan(a) = \frac{sin(a)}{cos(a)} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \\ sin(a)=1 \\ a=90 \\ cos(a) = \sqrt{3}\\ $$

chemistry-dog.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine an equilateral triangle with three sides of length s. Each angle is, of course, 60 degrees ([itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians). Drop a perpendicular from one vertex to the middle of the opposite side. One can show (by showing that the two triangles this divides the equilateral triangle into are congruent) that this new line is perpendicular to the opposite sides and bisects the angle at the vertex.

That is, the new line divides the equilateral triangle into two right triangles with angles of 60 degrees ([itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians) and 30 degrees ([itex]\pi/6[/itex] radians). One leg is of length s/2 and the hypotenuse is s so the other leg, the altitude of the original equilateral triangle, is of length [itex]\sqrt{s^2- s^2/4}= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}s[/itex].

So, what angle has tangent equal to [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]?

Likes Rectifier and DEvens
Recall that cos and sin range between -1 and 1, never outside that. So cos(a) = sqrt(3) can't be right.

You have the triangle having sides 1, 2, and sqrt(3). So the cos isn't sqrt(3). You are forgetting the definition of cos. Also, sin isn't 1.

What is the definition of sin? For this triangle it is 1 divided by something, but what?

Likes Rectifier
It's an half of an equilateral triangle with all sides = 2 units . All angles = 60 degrees . Your angle is a half angle = 30 degrees .

Or use sin(a) = 1/2 on original triangle . This is a well known result for 30 degrees .

Likes Rectifier
DEvens said:
Recall that cos and sin range between -1 and 1, never outside that. So cos(a) = sqrt(3) can't be right.

You have the triangle having sides 1, 2, and sqrt(3). So the cos isn't sqrt(3). You are forgetting the definition of cos. Also, sin isn't 1.

What is the definition of sin? For this triangle it is 1 divided by something, but what?

sin(a)= is the ratio of the opposite side and the hypothenuse

Oh!
I get it now
sin(a)= is the ratio of the opposite side and the hypothenuse and the hypothenuse is 2!

This means that $$ sin(a)= \frac{1}{2} $$ and then a=30°

Thank you to all of you!

HallsofIvy said:
Imagine an equilateral triangle with three sides of length s. Each angle is, of course, 60 degrees ([itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians). Drop a perpendicular from one vertex to the middle of the opposite side. One can show (by showing that the two triangles this divides the equilateral triangle into are congruent) that this new line is perpendicular to the opposite sides and bisects the angle at the vertex.

That is, the new line divides the equilateral triangle into two right triangles with angles of 60 degrees ([itex]\pi/3[/itex] radians) and 30 degrees ([itex]\pi/6[/itex] radians). One leg is of length s/2 and the hypotenuse is s so the other leg, the altitude of the original equilateral triangle, is of length [itex]\sqrt{s^2- s^2/4}= \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}s[/itex].

So, what angle has tangent equal to [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]?

I am sorry that I ignored your comment. I didnt see it in this thread when I first got replies for some reason.

1. What is the formula for calculating the exact value of tan?

The formula for calculating the exact value of tan is tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x), where x is the angle in radians.

2. How do I convert degrees to radians for using the tan function?

To convert degrees to radians, use the formula radians = degrees * (pi/180). So for example, if the angle is 45 degrees, the equivalent in radians would be 45 * (pi/180) = 0.7854 radians.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the exact value of tan?

No, using a calculator would give you an approximate value of tan. To find the exact value, you will need to use the formula or a table of values.

4. What is the range of values for the tan function?

The range of values for the tan function is all real numbers. However, the function is undefined at certain points such as when the angle is a multiple of pi/2.

5. How can I check my answer when using the tan function to calculate an angle?

You can check your answer by using the inverse tan function, denoted as tan^-1. For example, if you calculated the tan of an angle to be 0.5, you can use the inverse tan function to check that the angle is approximately 26.565 degrees (tan^-1(0.5) = 26.565).