Tangent space as best approximation

In summary, the tangent space is the best approximation of a manifold because it can be embedded in a larger Euclidean space and its abstract version can always be mapped to the best linear approximation. Derivations and tangent vectors are equivalent, and linear approximation can be made local. However, it may be challenging to define planes and norms in a generic ambient manifold without a vector space structure.
Goldbeetle
Dear all,
in what sense the tangent space is the best approximation of a manifold?
The idea is clear to me when we think about a surface in Rn and its tangent plane at a point.
But what does this mean when we are referring to very general manifolds?
In what sense "approximation" and in what sense "best"?

Thanks.
Goldbeetle

Physics news on Phys.org
Hum. Well, any manifold can be embedded in R^N for N large enough, so the case where M is in R^n is the most general case in a sense.

But yeah, in the abstract setting I don't think it makes sense in any way. But maybe I'm wrong.

I believe you use the definition of tangent space in terms of derivations when the manifold is stand-alone.

The idea of best linear approximation requires the manifold to be embedded in another manifold.

The abstract tangent space will be mapped to the best linear approximation under any embedding into Euclidean space. So the tangent space may be thought of as an abstract space whose geometric realization is always the best linear approximation.

lavinia said:
The idea of best linear approximation requires the manifold to be embedded in another manifold.

The abstract tangent space will be mapped to the best linear approximation under any embedding into Euclidean space. So the tangent space may be thought of as an abstract space whose geometric realization is always the best linear approximation.

I think you need the manifold to be embedded in Euclidean space (which , as Quasar stated, is always possible by Whitney's embedding. ) . In order to have the local-linear approximation the tangent plane gives you, you need to have some properties that you cannot find in any manifold.

There is an equivalence between derivations and tangent vectors, in that each can be seen as being the other, i.e., every derivation can be seen as a tangent vector and viceversa.

Bacle2 said:
I think you need the manifold to be embedded in Euclidean space (which , as Quasar stated, is always possible by Whitney's embedding. ) . In order to have the local-linear approximation the tangent plane gives you, you need to have some properties that you cannot find in any manifold.

There is an equivalence between derivations and tangent vectors, in that each can be seen as being the other, i.e., every derivation can be seen as a tangent vector and viceversa.

I think linear approximation can be made local.

lavinia said:
I think linear approximation can be made local.

But, how do you define a plane in a generic ambient manifold? Don't you need the space

to have a vector space structure to talk about planes? There is a such a thing as

an abstract general plane over a field ( the set of combinations f1p+f2

y for fi in the field --this is how we work in abstract projective spaces

over a field) , but I don't see how to get the structure to have both planes and a norm ,

for , what do you mean when

you say that ||v-w||<e , where v is in the tangent plane and w is in the manifold?

n allows this because it is a normed space. How do you do it in a generic

ambient manifold X?

Bacle2 said:
But, how do you define a plane in a generic ambient manifold? Don't you need the space

to have a vector space structure to talk about planes? There is a such a thing as

an abstract general plane over a field ( the set of combinations f1p+f2

y for fi in the field --this is how we work in abstract projective spaces

over a field) , but I don't see how to get the structure to have both planes and a norm ,

for , what do you mean when

you say that ||v-w||<e , where v is in the tangent plane and w is in the manifold?

n allows this because it is a normed space. How do you do it in a generic

ambient manifold X?

You are right but my gut still tells me that this can be done. Perhaps using coordinate charts. Or like in Euclidean space, you have the idea of geodesics and geodesic planes in the ambient manifold. Locally these planes are close to linear.

1. What is the tangent space?

The tangent space is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and multivariate calculus. It is a vector space that is tangent to a point on a curved surface or manifold.

2. How is the tangent space used in approximation?

The tangent space is used to approximate a curved surface or manifold by using a linear approximation at a single point. This allows for the calculation of derivatives and other important mathematical operations, which are necessary for solving problems in physics and engineering.

3. Why is the tangent space considered the best approximation?

The tangent space is considered the best approximation because it is the closest linear approximation to a curved surface or manifold at a specific point. This means that it provides the most accurate estimate for the behavior of the surface or manifold near that point.

4. Can the tangent space be used for all types of surfaces?

No, the tangent space is only applicable to smooth surfaces or manifolds. Surfaces that have sharp edges or corners may not have a well-defined tangent space.

5. How is the tangent space related to the concept of a tangent line?

The tangent space is a generalization of the concept of a tangent line in single-variable calculus. While a tangent line is a linear approximation to a curve at a single point, the tangent space is a linear approximation to a surface or manifold at a single point.