Tangential and radial accelereations of a flywheel

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of tangential and radial acceleration in relation to a point on the rim of a flywheel rotating with constant angular velocity. The conclusion is that the point has a radial acceleration due to its changing velocity direction, but no tangential acceleration due to its constant linear speed. Both accelerations are constant in magnitude, but the direction of the radial acceleration changes as the particle rotates. A vector diagram could be helpful in understanding the reasoning behind these conclusions.
spaghetti3451
I found this question in a book and I am trying to answer it by myself. Here's the question and my solution.

A flywheel rotates with constant angular velocity. Does a point on its rim have a tangential acceleration? A radial acceleration? Are these accelerations constant in magnitude? In direction? In each case give the reasoning behind your answer.

The point on the rim of the flywheel is rotating in a circle. Therefore, the direction of its velocity is changing. Therefore, the point must have a radial acceleration.

The point is rotating with constant angular speed. Therefore, its linear speed is constant. Therefore, the point does not have a tangential acceleration.

arad = rω2. In other words, the radial acceleration is a function of the radius of the circle and the angular speed of the point. Both are constant. So, the radial acceleration is constant in magnitude.

The point is rotating in a circle. Therefore, at each instant of time, the radial acceleration points from the particle to the centre of the circle. Therefore, as the particle rotates, the direction of the radial acceleration keeps changing.

atan = r[itex]\alpha[/itex]. In other words, the tangential acceleration depends on the magnitude of the angular acceleration. This equals 0. Therefore, the tangential accleration is non-existent in this case (as was shown before).

I would be grateful if you point out the flaws in my solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi failexam! :smile:

all looks good :smile:

(except you should have written |ar|, and probably the last pargraph isn't necessary :wink:)

Yes, an excellent answer. It would, I think, be good to have a vector diagram (of subtraction of velocities) to show why the acceleration is radial (paras 3 and 6).

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of the tangential velocity of an object. In the case of a flywheel, it is the change in its rotational speed.

What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of a circular path. In the case of a flywheel, it is the inward acceleration towards its center of rotation.

How do you calculate tangential acceleration of a flywheel?

The tangential acceleration of a flywheel can be calculated by dividing the change in its tangential velocity by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular acceleration of the flywheel by its radius.

What factors affect the tangential and radial accelerations of a flywheel?

The tangential and radial accelerations of a flywheel are affected by its mass, radius, and angular velocity. The larger the mass and radius, the greater the accelerations will be. The angular velocity also plays a role, with higher velocities resulting in higher accelerations.

Why are tangential and radial accelerations important in flywheels?

Tangential and radial accelerations are important in flywheels because they determine the rotational speed and stability of the flywheel. They also play a role in the energy storage and release capabilities of flywheels, making them crucial in many applications such as energy storage systems and machinery.