Tardigrade is first multicellular organism to be quantum entangled

In summary, a tardigrade was quantum entangled with a superconducting qubit, making it the first multicellular organism to be in this state. This raises questions about the implications of entanglement for living things. Tardigrades are microscopic animals capable of surviving extreme conditions in a hibernating state. However, in this experiment, the tardigrade was "frozen" or in a hibernating state during the entanglement process. This raises questions about the role of the tardigrade in the experiment and the nature of entanglement in living organisms.
vanhees71 said:
Entanglement is referring to "subsystems" of a whole system.
It means no subsystem has a definite state on its own, only the whole system.

Physics news on Phys.org
The subsystems of course have a definite state. Given the state ##\hat{\rho}## of the whole system, it's described by the reduced statistical operator obtained from the statistical operator describing the whole system by tracing over all other subsystems. For my spin example it's
$$\hat{\rho}_1= \sum_{\sigma_{13},\sigma_{13}',\sigma_{23}} |\sigma_{13} \rangle \langle \sigma_{13},\sigma_{23}|\hat{\rho} | \sigma_{13}',\sigma_{23} \rangle \langle \sigma_{13}'|$$
and analogously for ##\hat{\rho}_2##. The sums are over the complete sets of orthornormal states (all ##\sigma_{3}##'s running over ##\pm \hbar/2##). I also used the more compact notation
$$|\sigma_{13},\sigma_{23} \rangle=|\sigma_{13} \rangle \otimes |\sigma_{23} \rangle.$$
If the whole system is in a pure state ##\hat{\rho} = |\Psi \rangle \langle \Psi|##, the two subsystems are entangled if the subsystems are not in pure states, i.e., if the reduced density operators ##\hat{\rho}_1## and ##\hat{\rho}_2## are not projection operators.

Likes MikeWhitfield
https://phys.org/news/2021-12-peers-dispute-tardigrades-entangled-qubits.html

Scientists and journalists alike are disputing claims made by an international team of researchers that they had entangled a tardigrade with superconducting qubits. Their paper is published on the arXiv preprint server. Virtually all of those with an opinion pointed out that the work by the researchers in this new effort did not involve entanglement.

Likes MikeWhitfield, PeroK, manyworldsBob and 1 other person
True fact: A friend of mine once announced, after wandering around the internet in search of a better answer, that "My spirit animal is a tardigrade".

Likes manyworldsBob
My new profile pic. (Photograph by Eye of Science / Science Source).
tardigrade.jpg

• Haha
Likes MikeWhitfield, vanhees71, hutchphd and 1 other person
StevieTNZ said:
So is the true takeaway that this is more an experimental/modeling stunt than ground-breaking science? I cannot truly follow the math so it’s probably my deficiency speaking but I’m seeing nothing truly impressive. Seems more like “We modeled a tun-state water bear as a qubit and voila, it behaved like a qubit!” Is this a gross oversimplification?