Tarzan Physics: Solving for Jane's Minimum Swinging Speed with Wind Resistance

• Thread starter ad333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Jane needs to swing at a speed of at least 120 mph in order to get to Tarzan and back with his 85 kg weight.
ad333
I haven't done this be for so i could really use some help here.

Jane, Whos mass is 60kg, needs to swing to tarzan accrost a gap of 50m. There is a constant Horizontal force of 210N,caused by wind, opposing her. The length of the vine is 35m and the ange from were the vine is tied to jane is 50. what min speed must jane swing in order to get to tarzan and once there what speed must she use to get back with tarzan's 85kg weight added

I need help, i can't even figure out a basic equation to start with

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you'll have to proceed with the energy method.

For a constant force, the work in traveling a distance x in the direction of the force is W = Fx. For us, W = 120x. Can you find the horizontal distance x from one point to the other? Then the minimum speed can be found by solving the equation Ti = W (where Ti is the initial kinetic energy, the final one being set to 0) for vi.

quasar987 said:
I believe you'll have to proceed with the energy method.

For a constant force, the work in traveling a distance x in the direction of the force is W = Fx. For us, W = 120x. Can you find the horizontal distance x from one point to the other? Then the minimum speed can be found by solving the equation Ti = W (where Ti is the initial kinetic energy, the final one being set to 0) for vi.

That does me no good i already know the distance, i need to know how to calculate the speed jane need to use

Consider This relationship

When jane swings to the other side

[tex] K_{o} + \Omega_{gravity_{o}} + W_{wind} = K + \Omega [/tex]

This could be derived from Work-Kinetic Energy principle

[tex] W_{wind} - \Delta \Omega_{gravity} = \Delta K [/tex]

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, I believe it will be necessary to calculate the work by integrate over the curve using the angle as the variable of integration.

What is Omega of gravity cyclovenom?

Gravitational Potential Energy. I don't think that's necessary(spl?) quasar.

1. What is Tarzan Physics?

Tarzan Physics is a theoretical branch of physics that studies the physics behind the famous swinging abilities of Tarzan, a fictional character who moves through the jungle by swinging on vines.

2. How does Tarzan swing on vines without falling?

Tarzan's ability to swing on vines without falling is based on the concept of centripetal force. As he swings, the vine provides a centripetal force that keeps him moving in a circular path, preventing him from falling due to gravity. This force is generated by the tension in the vine and Tarzan's own body weight.

3. Can Tarzan swing on any type of vine?

In theory, yes, as long as the vine is strong enough to support his weight and the length of the vine is suitable for generating enough centripetal force. However, in reality, the type and strength of the vine may affect Tarzan's swinging abilities. For example, a dry and brittle vine may break easily, while a thick and sturdy vine may provide more stability.

4. How does Tarzan change his direction while swinging?

Tarzan is able to change his direction while swinging by using his body weight and positioning. By shifting his weight and body position, he can control the direction and speed of his swing. This requires precise timing and coordination, which Tarzan has mastered over years of living in the jungle.

5. Can Tarzan's swinging abilities be explained by physics?

While Tarzan's swinging abilities may seem unrealistic, they can be explained by the laws of physics. As mentioned earlier, his swinging motion is based on the concept of centripetal force, and his ability to change direction is a result of his understanding and control of his body's movements. However, certain aspects of his swinging may still be exaggerated for dramatic effect in the fictional world of Tarzan.