Taylor expansion - imaginary coefficients?

In summary, the first two non-zero terms in the Taylor expansion of \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}} where a is a real constant are f(0)=0 and f^{\prime}(0)=\frac{-ai}{a}. It is expected for the function to have imaginary coefficients if a^2>x^2. Alternatively, it may be easier to expand \frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}} and then multiply it by x.
Froskoy

Homework Statement

Find the first two non-zero terms in the Taylor expansion of [itex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}}[/itex] where a is a real constant

Homework Equations

[tex]
f(x)=f(x_0)+f^{\prime}(x_0)(x-x_0)+\frac{f^{\prime\prime}(x_0)}{2!}(x-x_0)^2+...+\frac{f^{(n)}(x_0)}{n!}(x-x_0)^n
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If a=0 then f(x)=1 (in the case a=0,x=0, use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit of the ratio as [itex]x[/itex] approaches 0 - is this correct?)

then [tex]
f(0)=0

f^{\prime}(0)=\frac{-ai}{a}

f^{\prime\prime}(0)=\frac{-i}{2a^{13}}
[/tex]

Is it OK that there are imaginary terms here? I guess [itex]f(x)[/itex] is imaginary if [itex]a^2>x^2[/itex] anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really need to expand it at x=0, then your function is imaginary, so of course you expect to get imaginary coefficients. Usually though in expressions like this, x is limited to values larger than a.

I'm not sure if your coefficients are correct though. Maybe it's easier to expand [itex] g(x)=(x^2-a^2)^{-1/2} [/itex]

Thanks! I hadn't thought of expanding [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2-a^2}}[/itex] and then multiplying my [itex]x[/itex] - that's really cool - thanks!

Related to Taylor expansion - imaginary coefficients?

1. What is Taylor expansion?

Taylor expansion is a mathematical method used to approximate a function as an infinite sum of polynomials. It is based on the idea that a function can be represented by a series of derivatives evaluated at a specific point.

2. What are imaginary coefficients?

Imaginary coefficients refer to the coefficients of imaginary numbers, also known as complex numbers. These numbers have a real and imaginary component and are often used in mathematics to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary parts.

3. How do you perform Taylor expansion with imaginary coefficients?

To perform Taylor expansion with imaginary coefficients, you can use the same method as with real coefficients. However, you need to keep in mind that the imaginary unit, represented by i, will be present in the result. You can also use complex variables and apply the same rules of differentiation and integration as with real variables.

4. What is the importance of Taylor expansion with imaginary coefficients?

Taylor expansion with imaginary coefficients is important in fields such as physics and engineering, where complex numbers are used to describe physical quantities. It allows for the approximation of complex functions and the simplification of calculations involving complex variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using Taylor expansion with imaginary coefficients?

One limitation of using Taylor expansion with imaginary coefficients is that it assumes the function is analytic, meaning it can be represented by a convergent power series. However, not all functions are analytic, and in these cases, Taylor expansion may not provide an accurate approximation.