Taylor Series Interval of COnvergence and Differention + Integration of it

In summary: For example, if you are differentiation of a polynomial, then you are using this fact. If you are differentiation of a function that is not represented by a polynomial, then you are not using this fact and your differentiation will not be valid.
Square1
OK...
"A power series can be differentiated or integrated term by term over any interval lying entirely within the interval of convergence"

When i do term by term differentiaion or t-by-t integration of a series though, am i making use of this fact?
Does this come into play later in a class?

Or is this fact referring to if i wanted to take the rate of change of the summation, then i can only do it on the interval of convergence.

Any response or even just an elaboration would be helpfull. Kind of confused about the matter. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Square1 said:
OK...
"A power series can be differentiated or integrated term by term over any interval lying entirely within the interval of convergence"

When i do term by term differentiaion or t-by-t integration of a series though, am i making use of this fact?
Your result will be valid only if you do so on an interval that is withing the interval of convergence.
Square1 said:
Does this come into play later in a class?
Probably later in the class you're in. One of the things you do with series is use a finite number of terms to approximate the whole series. The interval of convergence can help you get an upper bound on how far off your approximation is.
Square1 said:
Or is this fact referring to if i wanted to take the rate of change of the summation, then i can only do it on the interval of convergence.
You can differentiate your series term by term, but if you evaluate your derivative at a specific number, that number has to be within the interval of convergence.
Square1 said:
Any response or even just an elaboration would be helpfull. Kind of confused about the matter. Thanks.

You could think of it this way. Suppose you have some functions f(t), g(t), h(t), etc. and you have to do some calculation involving operations like addition, multiplication, division, function composition, inversion, differentiation, integration.. Those calculations can be tricky for general functions, but they are easier for polynomials. The point of power series is that they are glorified polynomials and that you can replace f(t), g(t), h(t), etc. with their power series representations and do the calculations with those instead. So this theorem tells you that it is valid to do that with the operations of differentiation and integration.

When you do term by term differentiation of a power series, you are using this fact if you are assuming that your result represents the derivative of function represented by the original power series.

Related to Taylor Series Interval of COnvergence and Differention + Integration of it

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point.

2. What is the interval of convergence for a Taylor series?

The interval of convergence for a Taylor series is the range of values for which the series can be used to approximate the original function with a specified degree of accuracy. It is determined by the convergence properties of the series, which depend on the behavior of the function and the point at which the series is centered.

3. How is the interval of convergence determined?

The interval of convergence is determined by finding the radius of convergence, which is the distance from the center point to the nearest point at which the series diverges. This can be done using various tests, such as the ratio test or the root test.

4. What is the significance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the Taylor series approximation is valid. Outside of this interval, the series either diverges or does not accurately represent the original function. Therefore, it is crucial to determine the interval of convergence when using Taylor series for approximations.

5. How are differentiation and integration related to Taylor series?

Taylor series can be used to differentiate and integrate functions by term-wise differentiation and integration of the series. This allows for the calculation of derivatives and antiderivatives of functions that may be difficult to find using traditional methods. Additionally, the derivatives and integrals of the original function and its Taylor series are equal within the interval of convergence.