Teaching english the summer between grad and undergrad.

In summary, the speaker is considering teaching English abroad during the summer between graduate and undergraduate studies before starting a PhD program in engineering. They believe it would be a good way to relax and earn money, and it may be their last opportunity for such a long break before starting their PhD. They are considering going through a temp agency to find a teaching position in a school overseas.
Hercuflea
Hey guys was wondering what you thought about teaching english the summer between graduate and undergraduate. I've been accepted to a PhD program in engineering for fall 2014. However I don't know what to do with my summer. I was thinking that spending my time traveling teaching English might be a good way to relax but still make money over the summer. This is going to be the last time I have 8 weeks of free time for the next 6 years. What do you guys think about this?

Science news on Phys.org
Hercuflea said:
Hey guys was wondering what you thought about teaching english the summer between graduate and undergraduate. I've been accepted to a PhD program in engineering for fall 2014. However I don't know what to do with my summer. I was thinking that spending my time traveling teaching English might be a good way to relax but still make money over the summer. This is going to be the last time I have 8 weeks of free time for the next 6 years. What do you guys think about this?
What do you mean, as a private tutor?

I mean through one of those temp agencies that hook you up with a teaching gig in a school overseas. It sounds like a good way to see the world. They usually take anyone with a bachelors degree.

Related to Teaching english the summer between grad and undergrad.

1. What are the benefits of teaching English during the summer between grad and undergrad?

Teaching English during the summer can provide valuable experience for future educators and enhance their resume. It also allows individuals to apply their knowledge and skills in a real-world setting and gain a deeper understanding of the English language and teaching methods.

2. Is teaching English during the summer a common practice for graduate students?

Yes, it is a common practice for graduate students to teach English during the summer as it provides an opportunity to earn extra income and gain practical experience in their field of study.

3. Can I teach English during the summer without any prior teaching experience?

Yes, many programs and schools offer training and support for graduate students who are interested in teaching English during the summer. However, having some background or coursework in education can be beneficial.

4. What types of students can I expect to teach during the summer?

The types of students you may teach during the summer can vary depending on the program or school. It can range from young learners to adults, and from beginners to advanced levels. Some programs also offer the opportunity to teach English to students from diverse cultural backgrounds.

5. What skills can I expect to gain from teaching English during the summer?

Teaching English during the summer can help develop a variety of skills, including lesson planning, classroom management, communication, and adaptability. It can also enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as cultural awareness and sensitivity.