Preparing for Physics Grad School after Math/Comp Sci undergrad

In summary, the expert suggests that a BA in Mathematics and a Computer Science Minor is not sufficient preparation for a Physics PhD, and that finding a new job or a new career with the skills you currently have may be the best route.
SeaShanty2
Hi all,

I graduated in 2017 with a B.A. in Mathematics and a Computer Science Minor, but I always wish I had been able to squeeze in more physics classes (I've only taken a very basic intro course at a community college right after high school). I'm currently working in IT and am pretty miserable at my job as my skills/knowledge are very underutilized, so I've often toyed with the idea of going to grad school (hopefully PhD) for either Math, Computer Science, or Physics to fulfill my desire to work on deep problems again. I technically already started an MA in Mathematics as part of a BA/MA program at my school, but I had to drop out as it would have taken me longer to graduate and I couldn't afford it, so I just took the BA.

I've always thought physics was interesting, but it was hard for me to have any sort of real appreciation for the "modern" theories of physics until I had a solid foundation in Math. Now when I read or watch stuff about things like Relativity or Quantum Mechanics, in most cases I'm at least able to form a basic understanding of what's being talked/written about much more easily because I know so much more of the language than I did years ago.

However, due to my substantial lack of coursework in Physics during undergrad I'm not sure what my path even just to a Physics PhD program would look like as I've already graduated with a Bachelors and going back to school to get another undergrad degree seems uneconomical, but I'm open to hearing all options. With that in mind, what would be the most efficient and also realistic way for me to have a good shot at getting accepted into a grad school to pursue a PhD in Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I feel like a ba in math is just not great preparation for a physics phd. There's like, a lot of physics in a physics undergrad degree that you're going to be missing.

As one example, there's another thread in this forum where someone says they took QM 1 and don't want to take QM 2 as an undergrad since they'll have to take QM again in grad school, and the consensus seemed to be you need to take QM 2 to understand the grad school version of the course. You've taken QM 0 which seems like a bad start.

Math or computer science seems more likely to be successful. The most important part of a phd application is your references, ideally from phd holders describing why you are likely to succeed at completing a serious research project.I'm sure you already have, but just to say it, have you tried just finding a new job or a new career with the skills you currently have? Not every life change needs to involve 6 years of school.

Likes jasonRF and Vanadium 50
SeaShanty2 said:
am pretty miserable at my job as my skills/knowledge are very underutilized,

My friend has a PhD in Aerospace Engineering, and worked in Satellite Navigation Systems, which I would have considered an active area, and he felt his skills and knowledge was underutilized. He is happier now that he found another active area in his current job.

Moral: a doctoral degree is no guarantee you will be "employed" in an area that you enjoy and extends you to your capacity. While-working on my post-doc, I went through a period, I felt under-utilized in preparing publications, I was just doing computer word-editing, and photo-editing etc. Who cares if the graphs are 600 dots per inch? The publication guide does. My research advisor probably feels under-utilized completing almost endless administrative chores. It even seems like the more successful, and famous one is, the more difficult it is to get to do what one likes. I suppose even nobel laureates have almost endless distractive commitments.

It is great that you have a job. Many are not so lucky, even with terminal degrees. You might try talking to your superiors to upgrade your roles and responsibilities.

When I was associated with a government lab, they had programs to advance their employees, through graduate physics courses at universities. Often, I took a physics course while employed. After a year or two, with good grades, and a course professor backing me, I was able to enroll in a graduate program in physics. The lab generously gave me a year leave of absence, (some of my colleagues even got financial support). Taking courses in this manner allowed me to stay sharp, and accumulate letters of recommendation, as I studied. I know this may be impossible for other employees but it is just my experience. If you can get a job in a govt lab, I recommend it.

Likes jasonRF
SeaShanty2 said:
However, due to my substantial lack of coursework in Physics during undergrad I'm not sure what my path even just to a Physics PhD program would look like as I've already graduated with a Bachelors and going back to school to get another undergrad degree seems uneconomical,
I'm assuming you're in the US.

At least some schools will let you take (and pay for) courses as a "non degree seeking student", presumably including research if you register for a "research" or "independent study" course to slot it into. That way, you could take just the courses needed for a physics major, without having to re-do most of the math, or all the other general requirements for a BS which you already have.

I don't know how grad school admissions committees would view such a background, however.

Likes SeaShanty2 and jasonRF
SeaShanty2 said:
what would be the most efficient and also realistic way for me to have a good shot at getting accepted into a grad school to pursue a PhD in Physics?
Let's be realistic. You are 10-12 classes behind where you need to be. You have to make that up somewhere, somehow, and full-time that's 3 semesters (and I wouldn't recommend ta`king such a dense schedule). That's going to cost money, but there's no real way around taking those classes.

Graduate school is intended for people who already have an undergraduate degree.
Graduate school admissions are competitive.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Let's be realistic. You are 10-12 classes behind where you need to be. You have to make that up somewhere, somehow, and full-time that's 3 semesters (and I wouldn't recommend ta`king such a dense schedule). That's going to cost money, but there's no real way around taking those classes.

Graduate school is intended for people who already have an undergraduate degree.
Graduate school admissions are competitive.

Well I have a B.A. in Math, and have also completed the graduate level Abstract Algebra sequence at my school, and a good GPA (3.69 overall and at least 3.9 in my math classes). I'm not necessarily opposed to paying for and taking more classes, especially if it can be done part time because it means I can still work and have an income. If I could take those classes online that might be even better from my point of view.

SeaShanty2 said:
Well I have a B.A. in Math, and have also completed the graduate level Abstract Algebra sequence at my school, and a good GPA (3.69 overall and at least 3.9 in my math classes).
Good for you. But you are still 10-12 courses in physics behind.

Vanadium 50 said:
Good for you. But you are still 10-12 courses in physics behind.
Yes I understand that and I have no problem taking physics courses, I just wanted to clarify that I already have an undergraduate degree. I just wasn't sure if I'd have to start another undergrad degree from scratch or something..

1. How important is it to have a background in math and computer science before pursuing a graduate degree in physics?

Having a strong foundation in math and computer science is essential for success in a physics graduate program. These subjects are the backbone of physics and will be heavily utilized in coursework and research.

2. Can I apply to a physics graduate program with a math or computer science degree?

Yes, many physics graduate programs accept applicants with degrees in related fields such as math and computer science. However, you may be required to take additional physics courses to strengthen your background in the subject.

3. What can I do to prepare for a physics graduate program while still in undergrad?

You can take advanced math and physics courses, participate in research projects, and attend seminars and conferences related to physics. You can also seek out opportunities to work with professors or join a physics club or organization.

4. Is it necessary to have research experience before applying to a physics graduate program?

While research experience is not always required, it is highly recommended. It shows that you have hands-on experience with the scientific process and can handle the demands of graduate-level research.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge that I should have before starting a physics graduate program?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and physics, it is helpful to have knowledge of programming languages, data analysis techniques, and advanced mathematical methods. It is also important to have good critical thinking and problem-solving skills.