Technical question about nucleation of beer?

In summary, the gas in beer is released when the conditions are right- usually when the glass is warm, wet, or dirty. However, if the glass is hot from the glass washer, nucleation may not occur. Bubbles may form when the glass is tapped but will usually dissipate when the glass is put back into the drink.
steve0606
Technical question about nucleation of beer!?

I work as a barman and am also a physics student. But I just can't seem to get my head around something: I understand that beer (referring to lager really) consists of water with CO2 dissolved in it with other, irrelevant, stuff also. You cannot see the gas because it is dissolved; however if the glass it is in contains a nucleation point (a widget) the gas is released as bubbles which float to the top of the beer and stay there. However, sometimes bubbles do not form i.e. you pour the pint and there are no bubbles being formed afterwards. My managers tell me this is because either the glass is warm, wet or dirty. But they cannot tell me WHY.
Surely, if the glass is warm, the gas should be released more readily;
I can't understand why it being wet would have much effect;
If it is dirty, nucleation should still occur.
Also, if you tap the glass the glass a flat pint is in such that it vibrates, bubbles form for a very short moment (presumably whilst the glass is stil vibrating) some bubbles form.
Can somebody please tell me why pouring lager into a widget glass that is warm, dirty or wet somehow 'deactivates' the widget unless you tap it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

steve0606 said:
<snip>I understand that beer (referring to lager really) consists of water with CO2 dissolved in it with other, irrelevant, stuff also. <snip>

Heretic! :)

AFAIK, beer is flat when the CO2/dissolved gas has already come out of solution. If you see an errant bubble or two, most likely you simple was able to coax a little bit of remaining gas out of solution.

Sorry when I say "flat" I actually mean there is no apparent bubble formation. There is gas still in the beer because if I pour a "flat" pint, put into another glass, there is sometimes bubble formation like normal (even if I try this with more than 5 glasses!) Also, if the gas escaped, there is so much gas in beer that you would definately see Effervescence due to lager being a supersaturated liquid and due to Marangoni effect.
I think I've found the answer though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_head
This explains the situations when the glass is dirty or wet and I think I may know why when the glass is hot: The glass is usually hot straight from a glasswasher. Given that a glass is used when the glass hasn't cooled down might mean that it is still wet. So it may appear nucleation is prevented from the heat of glass when really it is because the glass hasn't dried properly! Thanks anyway!

Interesting- I've never noticed that. Time to do some experiments- cheers!

Thank you for your question. The process of nucleation in beer is a complex one and can be affected by various factors, including temperature, surface tension, and impurities on the glass surface. When a beer is poured into a glass, the CO2 gas is released from the solution due to the decrease in pressure and increase in temperature. This process is known as nucleation. However, if the glass is warm, it can cause the CO2 to be released too quickly, resulting in a loss of carbonation and fewer bubbles. Similarly, if the glass is wet or dirty, the surface tension of the liquid is affected, making it harder for bubbles to form. In the case of tapping the glass, the vibration can help to release some of the trapped gas and create bubbles, but this effect is only temporary. The presence of a widget in the glass can also affect nucleation, as it provides a surface for the gas to form bubbles. I hope this helps to clarify the factors that can affect nucleation in beer. Cheers!

1. What is nucleation in beer?

Nucleation in beer refers to the formation of tiny bubbles or gas pockets in the liquid, typically caused by the release of dissolved carbon dioxide. These bubbles are responsible for the foamy head and effervescence of beer.

2. How does nucleation occur in beer?

Nucleation in beer occurs when the dissolved carbon dioxide in the liquid is released, usually due to agitation or changes in pressure. This can happen naturally during the fermentation process or artificially through the use of nucleation points (e.g. rough surfaces on the inside of a glass).

3. Why is nucleation important in beer?

Nucleation is important in beer because it affects its appearance, aroma, and taste. The presence of bubbles and foam can enhance the drinking experience and contribute to the overall mouthfeel of the beer. Additionally, proper nucleation can help maintain the desired level of carbonation in the beer.

4. How does temperature affect nucleation in beer?

Temperature plays a significant role in nucleation of beer. Lower temperatures can slow down the release of carbon dioxide, resulting in smaller and fewer bubbles. On the other hand, warmer temperatures can speed up nucleation and lead to larger and more abundant bubbles, potentially causing excess foam.

5. Can nucleation in beer be controlled?

Yes, nucleation in beer can be controlled to some extent. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and surface roughness can be manipulated to influence the rate and size of nucleation. For example, using a nucleation point in a beer glass can create a steady stream of bubbles and maintain a consistent level of carbonation in the beer.