Techno-scientific terms omitted from translation

In summary, the two terms "visible light interference" and "the non-visible spectrum" were omitted from the translation because they have little impact on radio astronomy and are too general.
louislaolu
TL;DR Summary: Why were the two terms "visible light interference" and "the non-visible spectrum" omitted from the translation?

I am doing a contrastive study of a Chinese sci-fi novel and its English translation.

The following is a more faithful translation of the original:
The initial considerations were purely technical. Unlike traditional astronomy, radio astronomy didn’t have as many demands on atmospheric quality and visible light interference, but required minimal electromagnetic interference on the non-visible spectrum.

The actual English translation is as follows:
The initial considerations were purely technical. Unlike traditional astronomy, radio astronomy didn’t have as many demands on atmospheric quality, but required minimal electromagnetic interference.

Could anyone please tell me why the translator omitted the terms "visible light interference" and "the non-visible spectrum"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Personal choice by the translator, I should think.

Thanks!

The following is an explanation I found:
The translator has omitted "visible light interference" and "non-visible light bands" from translation, as the wavelengths of visible light are several orders of magnitude different from those used in radio astronomical observations, and have almost no impact on the latter. Moreover, "non-visible light bands" has a too broad a scope, being too general, and omitting it has no impact on the relevant scientific descriptions.

Do you think it makes sense?

louislaolu said:
The following is an explanation I found:
The translator has omitted "visible light interference" and "non-visible light bands" from translation, as the wavelengths of visible light are several orders of magnitude different from those used in radio astronomical observations, and have almost no impact on the latter. Moreover, "non-visible light bands" has a too broad a scope, being too general, and omitting it has no impact on the relevant scientific descriptions.
I think the translation is far easier to understand than the "more faithful" translation. At least for someone with a little understanding of the problems of optical and radio astronomy. The bane of (terrestrial) optical astronomy is air turbulence (leading to the "sparkling" of stars and blurred photographic images), whereas in radio astronomy a severe problem is interference from all sorts of electrical devices.

I have no idea of the correct technical terms in Chinese. They may circumscribe something imported from another language. A too "faithful" translation can turn out to be barely intelligible.
louislaolu said:
Do you think it makes sense?
Yes.

WernerQH said:
I think the translation is far easier to understand than the "more faithful" translation. At least for someone with a little understanding of the problems of optical and radio astronomy. The bane of (terrestrial) optical astronomy is air turbulence (leading to the "sparkling" of stars and blurred photographic images), whereas in radio astronomy a severe problem is interference from all sorts of electrical devices.

I have no idea of the correct technical terms in Chinese. They may circumscribe something imported from another language. A too "faithful" translation can turn out to be barely intelligible.

Yes.
Thank you for the very useful reply!

1. What are techno-scientific terms omitted from translation?

Techno-scientific terms omitted from translation refer to words or phrases that are commonly used in the scientific and technological fields, but are not translated or translated poorly in other languages. These terms often have complex meanings and are specific to a particular field of study, making it difficult to find an equivalent translation in another language.

2. Why are techno-scientific terms often omitted from translation?

Techno-scientific terms are often omitted from translation due to the complexity and specificity of their meanings. Many of these terms have no direct equivalent in other languages, making it challenging for translators to accurately convey their intended meaning. Additionally, scientific and technological fields are constantly evolving, and new terms are constantly being introduced, making it difficult for translators to keep up with the latest terminology.

3. What are the consequences of omitting techno-scientific terms from translation?

The consequences of omitting techno-scientific terms from translation can vary depending on the context. In some cases, it may lead to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of important scientific or technological concepts. It can also hinder international communication and collaboration in these fields, as well as limit the accessibility of information to non-native speakers.

4. How can we address the issue of omitted techno-scientific terms in translation?

One way to address this issue is by creating glossaries or databases of techno-scientific terms with their corresponding translations in different languages. This can help translators and researchers find accurate translations for these terms and improve communication and understanding across languages. Additionally, collaboration between scientists, translators, and language experts can also help in finding suitable translations for these terms.

5. Are there any challenges in including techno-scientific terms in translations?

Including techno-scientific terms in translations can be challenging due to the complexity and specificity of their meanings. It requires a deep understanding of the subject matter and the ability to accurately convey the intended meaning in a different language. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, these fields are constantly evolving, making it difficult to keep up with the latest terminology. However, with proper collaboration and resources, these challenges can be overcome.