Teleportation: Scientific research

In summary, the conversation is about the existence of scientific teams or researchers actively working on achieving teleportation and creating objects out of atoms without an existing item, similar to the technology seen in Star Trek. The person speaking has done some research but has primarily found articles and information about this concept in science fiction and fantasy, rather than actual scientific teams or research. They also mention the possibility of NASA researching this technology and question how it would work in terms of creating objects out of thin air.
gordonisnz
Hello.

Further to :- https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=390324

Are there any scientific teams / Researchers actively trying to achieve

a) teleportation

b) creating things via atoms - without an existing item (Ie Star Trek Food producer machines)

I've googled - But find LOTS of articles about it & mainly science fiction / fantasy - But can't find actual scientific teams - RSS feeds / newsletters etc

is NASA researching this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my first reply and my first day to do this. I'm not the person who goes to all the conventions nor would I, but I do pay attention to detail to what I watch.

While watching say, Star Trek Voyager, you will hear them talk about rations and how that making anything (whether it be food, jewelry, ect.) uses your rations. Personally, I believe they have some form of 'stash' of atoms to create things from (Matter nor energy can be created or destroyed but changed from one form to another). Whether that 'stash' is energy or some type of matter (i.e. gas, solid, or liquid), I do not know. So you would need something to create an item out of 'thin air'.

Things brings a question of my own, if you make say a sword out of air, would you not have to more or less compact the atoms in the air? Wouldn't this create some type of vacuum?

Related to Teleportation: Scientific research

1. What is teleportation?

Teleportation is a hypothetical method of transportation that involves instantaneously moving an object or person from one location to another without physically traveling through the space in between.

2. Is teleportation possible?

Currently, teleportation is not possible with our current understanding and technology. However, there have been some successful experiments with quantum teleportation on the subatomic level.

3. Can humans be teleported?

At this time, there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports the teleportation of human beings. The complexity and challenges of teleporting living organisms make it highly unlikely in the near future.

4. What are the potential benefits of teleportation?

The potential benefits of teleportation could include faster and more efficient transportation, reducing carbon emissions from traditional modes of transportation, and the ability to access remote or dangerous locations without risk to human life.

5. What are the ethical concerns surrounding teleportation?

Some ethical concerns surrounding teleportation include the potential for misuse and abuse, the impact on jobs and industries reliant on traditional transportation methods, and the potential for altering the natural order of things. More research and ethical considerations are needed before teleportation can become a reality.