Temperature limits on Debye's Calculationp

In summary: A pedagogical note, which shows nicely how you recover the Dulong-Petit limit by summing over all possible modes.In summary, Debye assumed a sound wave dispersion relation for phonons (ω=vK) which corresponds to acoustic modes in the low frequency limit. This explains the low temperature heat capacity well. However, this same assumption cannot fully explain the high temperature limit (C=3k_B per atom). Debye did consider a cut-off frequency to address this, but the overall calculation is still based on the low temperature dispersion relation. This may not hold true at high temperatures (k_BT>>ħω). The cut-off frequency represents the maximum of the dispersion relation, corresponding to a wavelength equal to twice
cozycoz
Debye assumed sound wave dispersion relation for phonons(##ω=vK##) and this corresponds to acoustic modes in low frequency limits. That's why it explains low temperature heat capacity fairly well.

But how could this also explain high temperature limit(##C=3k_B## per atom)? I know Debye considered cutoff frequency to make this result, but anyway the whole calculation rooted from low temperature dispersion relation, and generally the relation would be absolute value of sine function! I think it should fail at ##k_BT>>ħω##.

could you explain this to me?and plus, is it okay to think that the cutoff frequency represents the maximum of the dispersion relation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cozycoz said:
Debye assumed sound wave dispersion relation for phonons(##ω=vK##) and this corresponds to acoustic modes in low frequency limits. That's why it explains low temperature heat capacity fairly well.

But how could this also explain high temperature limit(##C=3k_B## per atom)? I know Debye considered cutoff frequency to make this result, but anyway the whole calculation rooted from low temperature dispersion relation, and generally the relation would be absolute value of sine function! I think it should fail at ##k_BT>>ħω##.

could you explain this to me?and plus, is it okay to think that the cutoff frequency represents the maximum of the dispersion relation?
The cut-off frequency corresponds to a wavelength equal to twice the atomic spacing, i.e. the minimum wavelength that the atomic chain can support.

The heat capacity of a single harmonic oscillator is always kB in the high temperature limit. In case you have a solid composed of N atoms, you will thus always get 3NkB in the high temperature limit, even if you assume a certain distribution of 3N normal modes of vibration where each has its own frequency. Have a look at [PDF]Einstein and Debye heat capacities of solids

1. What is Debye's calculation of temperature limits?

Debye's calculation is a method used to determine the maximum temperature at which a material can maintain its atomic structure and behave as a solid. It takes into account the specific heat capacity, atomic mass, and Debye temperature of the material.

2. How is Debye temperature related to temperature limits?

Debye temperature is the temperature at which the atomic vibrations of a material reach maximum energy. It is used in Debye's calculation to determine the temperature limit of a material, as it indicates the point at which the material's atomic structure will begin to break down.

3. What materials can Debye's calculation be applied to?

Debye's calculation can be applied to most materials, including metals, insulators, and semiconductors. However, it is most accurate for materials with simple atomic structures.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Debye's calculation?

The accuracy of Debye's calculation can be affected by impurities in the material, defects in the atomic structure, and changes in pressure or composition of the material. It is also less accurate at extremely low or high temperatures.

5. Why is knowing the temperature limits of a material important?

Knowing the temperature limits of a material is important for understanding its behavior and potential applications. It can also help determine the maximum operating temperature for devices made from the material, as well as its stability and durability under different conditions.