Temperature of a spinning and non spinning asteroid

In summary, the problem involves a rapidly rotating asteroid with an albedo of 0.05, orbiting a 3 solar mass star with the same surface temperature as the Sun. The asteroid's semi-major axis is 15 AU and the goal is to find its equilibrium temperature. By using the equations provided, it can be calculated that the star's luminosity is 70.15 solar luminosities and the asteroid's temperature is 205.48 K. However, it is unclear if this temperature is for the spinning or stationary asteroid. Additionally, there is a similar asteroid that is gravitationally locked, which will have a very different average temperature over its surface compared to the spinning asteroid.
eckerm

Homework Statement

Consider a rapidly rotating asteroid with an albedo (reflectivity) averaged over the solar spectrum of 0.05 that orbits around a 3 solar mass star that has the same surface temperature as the Sun. The asteroid’s orbit has a semi-major axis of 15 AU. What is its equilibrium temperature? Consider a similar asteroid that does not rotate. What would the average temperature be on its star-ward side?

Homework Equations

T4=(L(1-A))/(16*pi*sigma*D2)

L/Lsun=1.5*(M/Msun)3.5

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged the mass into the second equation and got that the luminosity of the star in the problem is 70.15 solar luminosities. If I assume the semi-major axis is the average distance from the star, plugging all those numbers into the first equation gives a temperature of 205.48 K. I don't know which temperature this gives me, though, the spinning or stationary. And whichever it gives me, I'm not sure how I should go about finding the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
eckerm said:
I plugged the mass into the second equation
I'm not familiar with that equation, so I do not know how it is applied. Can you post a link? But it seems to me that the star is the same temperature as the sun and has only a slightly larger radius, so its power output should only be slightly more.
eckerm said:
If I assume the semi-major axis is the average distance from the star
That's a bit of an assumption. Won't it spend rather longer at the greater distances? But you are not given the eccentricity, so I guess you have no choice there.
eckerm said:
a similar asteroid that does not rotate.
I think the question means one that is gravitationally locked, so one day=one year.
eckerm said:
I don't know which temperature this gives me, though, the spinning or stationary.
Because the emission law is to the fourth power, the average emission power over the surface will not be the same as the emission power at the average temperature over the surface. In the spinning case you can take the temperature as constant; in the gravitationally locked case it will be very different.

1. What is the difference in temperature between a spinning and non-spinning asteroid?

The temperature of a spinning asteroid can vary significantly depending on its rotation rate and axis, while the temperature of a non-spinning asteroid remains relatively constant.

2. Why does the rotation of an asteroid affect its temperature?

When an asteroid is spinning, different parts of its surface are exposed to sunlight at different times, causing temperature variations. Additionally, the rotation can affect the asteroid's ability to retain heat, depending on its shape and composition.

3. How does the temperature of an asteroid impact its physical characteristics?

The temperature of an asteroid can affect its physical characteristics, such as its surface morphology, composition, and potential for geologic activity. For example, extreme temperatures can cause ice to melt and create features like craters and ridges.

4. Can the temperature of an asteroid be measured accurately from Earth?

Yes, the temperature of an asteroid can be measured using infrared telescopes. However, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by factors such as the asteroid's distance from Earth and its surface reflectivity.

5. How does the temperature of an asteroid impact its potential for hosting life?

The temperature of an asteroid is a crucial factor in determining its potential for hosting life. Extreme temperatures can make it difficult for life to thrive, while a moderate temperature range may be more conducive to supporting life. Additionally, temperature can influence the chemical and physical processes that are necessary for life to develop and thrive.