How Can the Cosmos Be Both 3 Degrees and Extremely Hot?

In summary, the average temperature of the cosmos is about 3 degrees Kelvin, most of the material in the cosmos is in the form of plasma which is extremely hot, and the answer to the question of how much material there is might be difficult to explain to an amateur.
saberjim

Homework Statement

I am taking a course from the Teaching Company called the "Physics of History". Two statements by the teacher seem in conflict to me as an amateur.

1. The average temperature of the cosmos is about 3 degrees K.

2. Most of the material in the cosmos is in the form of plasma which is extremely hot.

I am pretty sure the answer might be difficult to explain to an amateur so a web reference would suffice, Thanks/

Jim Flint

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Most material might be hot but nothing was said about HOW MUCH material there is.

saberjim said:
1. The average temperature of the cosmos is about 3 degrees K.

2. Most of the material in the cosmos is in the form of plasma which is extremely hot.
Both are sort of correct - I suspect the lecturer wanted to make an amusing point.

The temperature of most of the cosmos is 'undefined' empty space is nothing which can't have a temperature.
The 3K is the temperature of the microwave background which fills the universe. If you like this is the temperature of the walls of the room, nothing in space can cool below this.
But most of the visible matter in space is in stars which are very hot.

Thank you for the quick reply. I am an old geezer of 75 and have fallen in love with physics. A little too late for a degree as I already have one in geology but the subject does not soar like cosmology. My wife hit me with the question during the last lesson and will be thrilled with the answer.

We both appreciate your taking time to answer.

Jim Flint

It's like the statistics joke:
Everyone has more than the average number of legs !
(Because a very few people have 1 leg, but nobody has more than 2, the average is 1.99999...)

The TTC lectures are very good - enjoy the physics

1. What is the temperature of the cosmos?

The temperature of the cosmos is not uniform and varies depending on the location and size of the object being measured. However, the average temperature of the observable universe is about 2.73 Kelvin (K), or approximately -270 degrees Celsius.

2. How is the temperature of the cosmos measured?

The temperature of the cosmos is measured using various methods, including observations of electromagnetic radiation emitted by objects in the universe, such as stars and galaxies. Scientists also use advanced telescopes and satellites to gather data on the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and can provide insight into the temperature of the universe.

3. Is the temperature of the cosmos constant?

No, the temperature of the cosmos is not constant. It has been changing since the beginning of the universe due to various factors, such as the expansion of the universe and the formation of stars and galaxies. However, the overall average temperature has remained relatively stable over time.

4. What is the relationship between temperature and the expansion of the universe?

As the universe expands, the temperature of the cosmos decreases. This is because the expansion causes the energy of photons to decrease, resulting in a decrease in temperature. This relationship is known as the cosmological redshift, and it is one of the pieces of evidence supporting the Big Bang theory.

5. Can the temperature of the cosmos be affected by human activities?

No, the temperature of the cosmos is not influenced by human activities. It is a natural phenomenon that is constantly changing and is not affected by human actions. However, our understanding and measurement of the temperature of the cosmos can be improved through scientific advancements and research.