Temperature prediction of a material

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the temperature required to heat a given mass of copper to a specific degree, as well as the time it would take to achieve this. The suggestion is to start with the relationship between specific heat and mass of the object.
curiouskk
I was not sure where to post this question so if anyone has a better home for it please advise.

I am trying calculate how much temperature a given mass is required to be heated to (oven setting) to reach a target temperature on the surface of a metal like copper. I also need to know this setting vs time. For example if I have piece of copper and it is in an oven for 30 seconds and I want to raise it 1,2,3, 10, 20 degree celsius what setting will I need to achieve this in the given time? Also vise versa, how much time at a given set point would be required to change temp by a target 1,2,3, 10, 20 degrees Celsius.

Science news on Phys.org
curiouskk said:
I was not sure where to post this question so if anyone has a better home for it please advise.

hi there :smile:

Since you gave your thread an "A" tag, it assumes you have got a university degree in physics or similar
so you should have a pretty good idea where to start with working something like this out

so where have you go to so far ?
[Mentor's note: The thread tag was changed to 'B' after this was written]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry new to this was asking for upto an A level response. My plan is to just run a bunch of tests then gather data and analyze trend but wanted to see if there was any basic equations that would be related
Best guess is some relationship between the specific heat and mass of the object...

Likes davenn
curiouskk said:
Best guess is some relationship between the specific heat and mass of the object...

Yes start with that. You should know the relationship so get calculating.

1. What factors affect the temperature prediction of a material?

The temperature prediction of a material depends on various factors such as the material's thermal conductivity, specific heat capacity, density, and thermal expansion coefficient. Other factors like external heat sources, boundary conditions, and phase changes can also influence the temperature prediction.

2. How accurate are temperature predictions for materials?

The accuracy of temperature predictions for materials depends on the complexity of the material and the accuracy of the input data. Simple materials with known properties can have more accurate predictions, while complex materials with varying properties may have less accurate predictions.

3. Can temperature predictions be made for all types of materials?

Temperature predictions can be made for most materials, but the accuracy may vary depending on the availability of data and the complexity of the material. Some materials may have unknown or unpredictable properties that make it difficult to accurately predict their temperature.

4. How are temperature predictions of materials calculated?

Temperature predictions of materials are calculated using mathematical models and equations that take into account the material's properties, external factors, and boundary conditions. These models may also incorporate data from experiments or simulations to improve accuracy.

5. How can temperature predictions of materials be used in real-world applications?

Temperature predictions of materials can be used in various real-world applications such as designing and optimizing thermal systems, predicting the behavior of materials in different environments, and ensuring the safety and reliability of materials in extreme conditions.