Tensile and shear stress in 10mm rivet

In summary: I'll take a look and give you my opinion.In summary, the homework statement states that a 3kN load is applied to a tensile member with a 45 degree angle of shear joint. The tensile and shear stresses in a 10mm rivet are calculated.
chris78

Homework Statement

A load P of 3kN is applied to the tensile member shown and is carried at the joint by
a single rivet. The angle of the shear joint is 45 degrees to the axis of the load. Calculate
the tensile and shear stresses in a 10mm diameter rivet

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Work out Shear force:
[/B]
Shear force 3sin45=2.121kn

Work out tensile force:

Tensile force=3cos45=2.12kn

Tensile stress= force/area

=2121.3/7.853x10^-5
=27009236.08 nm/^2
=27 mn/m2

Shear stress will be the same

I have atttached an image of the question and also my workings out. I am being told that this is incorrect by my tutor...but have been racking my brains to why! Is the resolved triangle in my workings wrong?

Any help would be brilliant as I am not sure where/if I am going wrong!

Thanks

Attachments

• answer.jpeg
    answer.jpeg
    17.6 KB · Views: 493
  • question.jpeg
    question.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, post what you have done ! An illegible sunny picture doesn't help.

[aside:] And don't trust the exercise composer: he/she tries to sell you a 45 degree angle that's clearly drawn at 60 degrees :smile:

I have posted my workings...within the post as well as 'illegible' scribblings...the problem states 45 degrees ?

chris78 said:
I have posted my workings...within the post as well as 'illegible' scribblings...the problem states 45 degrees ?
The book solution uses 45 degrees ...answer given is correct for shear and tensile stress. Your answer agrees except be sure to write it properly as 27 MN/m2.

Likes chris78
Hi there

Thankyou for you reply...when I handed this in my tutor said I was wrong..but I have been racking my brains to see why...that's why I posted a picture of my workings with my vector triangle to make sure my method is correct

PhanthomJay said:
The book solution uses 45 degrees ...answer given is correct for shear and tensile stress. Your answer agrees except be sure to write it properly as 27 MN/m2.
Thanks for your help...i have just posted another similar question regarding this subject...is it possible you could have a look at it for me,and tell me if I am on the correct lines? Again,thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

What is tensile stress?

Tensile stress is a measure of the pulling force that is applied to a material. It is the force per unit area that is required to stretch a material.

What is shear stress?

Shear stress is a measure of the force that is applied parallel to the surface of a material. It is the force per unit area that is required to cause the material to slide or deform.

How is tensile stress different from shear stress?

Tensile stress is a pulling force that stretches a material, while shear stress is a parallel force that causes the material to slide or deform.

What is the significance of 10mm in the rivet?

The 10mm measurement in the rivet refers to its diameter. This is important because it determines the strength and load-bearing capacity of the rivet.

What are the factors that affect tensile and shear stress in a 10mm rivet?

The factors that affect tensile and shear stress in a 10mm rivet include the material properties of the rivet, the applied force, and the design and installation of the rivet.