Can Twine Support a 15-N Picture Without Breaking?

In summary: But the problem does not say that. The problem says that the twine will break if the tension exceeds 12 N.
SakuRERE

Homework Statement

you want to hang a 15-N picture as in part (a) using some very fine twine that will break with more than 12 N of tension can you do this? what if you have it as illustrated in part (b) of the figure?
upload_2018-10-6_10-10-29.png

Homework Equations

Σf=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
okay i started with finding the tensions in part (a). using:
Σfx= 0 and so
T2 cos30=T1 cos50
T2=0.74 T1 ---------(1)
Σfy=0
T1sin50 + T2sin30= W
0.76T1+0.5T2 = 15-------(2)

substituting (1) in (2)

0.76T1 +0.5 (0.74 T1)=15
0.76 T1 + 0.37 T1 =15
1.13 T1= 15

T1= 13.27N
and so T2= 9.82 N

Now what i am not sure about, is first how to know if the ceiling is fine with these tensions or not? I mean should I only find the vertical forces of the tensions here (T1sin50 & T2 sin 30) and see if they are larger than 12 ( obviously they are ) or what?

and regarding the part B. I am also hesitated about using the same Tension values computed from the first part (a) in b also!

thanks in advance

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-6_10-10-29.png
    upload_2018-10-6_10-10-29.png
    6 KB · Views: 810
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SakuRERE said:

Homework Statement

you want to hang a 15-N picture as in part (a) using some very fine twine that will break with more than 12 N of tension can you do this? what if you have it as illustrated in part (b) of the figure?
View attachment 231773

Homework Equations

Σf=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
okay i started with finding the tensions in part (a). using:
Σfx= 0 and so
T2 cos30=T1 cos50
T2=0.74 T1 ---------(1)
Σfy=0
T1sin50 + T2sin30= W
0.76T1+0.5T2 = 15-------(2)

substituting (1) in (2)

0.76T1 +0.5 (0.74 T1)=15
0.76 T1 + 0.37 T1 =15
1.13 T1= 15

T1= 13.27N
and so T2= 9.82 N

Now what i am not sure about, is first how to know if the ceiling is fine with these tensions or not? I mean should I only find the vertical forces of the tensions here (T1sin50 & T2 sin 30) and see if they are larger than 12 ( obviously they are not) or what?

and regarding the part B. I am also hesitated about using the same Tension values computed from the first part (a) in b also!

thanks in advance
The string can withstand 12 N tension at maximum. You got more than 13 N tension for one of the strings. What would happen to it?
Case b is entirely different, the tensions are different, too.

Likes SakuRERE
ehild said:
ou got more than 13 N tension for one of the strings
okay, i got what you said, but the point that i want to ask still somehow not clear.
for example if i got for T2=5 N and for T1= 8N, and the ceiling is fine with 12 maximum.
do i say
T2 + T1= 5+8= 13 so no! it's more than the limit
or do i take only vertical components of the tensions like saying:
T2 cos 30 + T1 cos 50 =?
5 cos30 + 8 cos50 = 9.47 so the ceiling is fine with it?
Thanks

SakuRERE said:
okay, i got what you said, but the point that i want to ask still somehow not clear.
for example if i got for T2=5 N and for T1= 8N, and the ceiling is fine with 12 maximum.
do i say
T2 + T1= 5+8= 13 so no! it's more than the limit
or do i take only vertical components of the tensions like saying:
T2 cos 30 + T1 cos 50 =?
5 cos30 + 8 cos50 = 9.47 so the ceiling is fine with it?
Thanks
It is not the ceiling that is critical. The problem days "using some very fine twine that will break with more than 12 N of tension can you do this? " The twine will brake if overloaded! The tension in any of them can not exceed 12 N.
If the problem said that the ceiling can not withstand more than 12 N load, you might use the sum of the vertical components of the tensions.

What is tension?

Tension is a pulling force that occurs when an object is being stretched. It is a reaction force that occurs in response to an applied force.

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no change in motion. In other words, the object is either at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How does tension affect equilibrium?

Tension can affect equilibrium by either contributing to or counteracting other forces acting on an object. For example, in a rope pulling contest, the tension in the rope contributes to the force pulling the object forward, while in a tug-of-war, the tension in the rope is counteracted by the tension in the opposing team's rope, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

What factors can affect tension and equilibrium?

The factors that can affect tension and equilibrium include the magnitude and direction of applied forces, the mass and weight of the object, and the friction present between the object and its surroundings.

How can tension and equilibrium be calculated or measured?

Tension and equilibrium can be calculated or measured using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of statics. This involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining if they are balanced or unbalanced. Tension can also be measured using a tension meter or by using equations involving the properties of the object, such as its length and material properties.