Tension between two cables, not sure what to do.

In summary, the Stryker frame is used to provide tension along the spinal column in treating spinal injuries. In part A, the maximum traction force that can be applied without causing the patient to slide is 686N, calculated using the coefficient of static friction. In part B, the tension in each cable attached to the neck collar is equal and can be found using free body diagrams.
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

In treating spinal injuries, it is often necessary to provide some tension along the spinal column to stretch the backbone. One device for doing this is the Stryker frame, illustrated in part (a) of the figure. A weight is attached to the patient (sometimes around a neck collar, as shown in part (b) of the figure), and friction between the person's body and the bed prevents sliding.

PART A: If the coefficient of static friction between a 96.5kg patient's body and the bed is 0.725, what is the maximum traction force along the spinal column that can provide without causing the patient to slide?

PART B: Under the conditions of maximum traction, what is the tension in each cable attached to the neck collar? [Picture is attached]

Homework Equations

Newtons first law ƩF=0 in equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is for Mastering Physics btw.

I was able to find Part A: with T=Fs=μmg=(.725)(96.5)(9.8)=686N

But I am having trouble with part B. I see that the angles are equal so I assume that they are sharing equal tension. I broke them down by x and y components and found the magnitude but that was incorrect, I also used just the y component and that was incorrect as well. If someone could point me in the right direction that would help so much!

Attachments

• traction.jpg
    traction.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,920
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this look right?

Attachments

• tension061.jpg
    tension061.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 4,260
Definitely! Thanks, I definitely have to start focusing more on the free body diagrams.

Related to Tension between two cables, not sure what to do.

1. What is tension between two cables?

Tension between two cables refers to the force or pulling effect that the cables exert on each other when they are connected at two different points. It is a result of the cables being stretched or pulled in opposite directions.

2. What causes tension between two cables?

Tension between two cables is caused by external forces such as weight, wind, or other objects pulling on the cables. It can also be caused by the cables being attached to different points with varying degrees of resistance or stiffness.

3. How is tension between two cables measured?

Tension between two cables can be measured using a tension meter or a dynamometer, which measures the force or weight exerted on the cables. It can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the length, diameter, and material of the cables.

4. What are the risks of high tension between two cables?

High tension between two cables can put extra stress on the cables and their attachments, increasing the risk of them snapping or breaking. It can also cause the cables to stretch or deform, affecting their performance and potentially causing damage to the objects they are supporting.

5. How can tension between two cables be managed?

Tension between two cables can be managed by ensuring that the cables are properly installed and attached at both ends, with equal amounts of tension on each cable. It is important to regularly check and adjust the tension as needed to prevent any potential risks or damage.