Tension connecting two collinear rotating objects

In summary, the tangential speed of a 4 kg object is 8 m/s. At the top of its trajectory, the object experiences two downward forces: tension of string 2 (T2) and weight. Using the equation F=m.a and W + T2=m.v^2/r, the calculated value for T2 is negative, indicating a mistake in the calculation. The mistake was discovered after further review.
songoku
Homework Statement
Two objects of mass 3 kg and 4 kg are rotating in vertical circle. Mass 3 kg is connected to the center of rotation by string 1 and mass 3 kg and 4 kg are connected by string 2. The length of each string is 0.5 m and the two objects are always collinear when rotating. If the tangential speed of 3 kg object is 4 m/s, find the magnitude of tension in string 2 when they are at the top of the trajectory
Relevant Equations
##v=\omega .r##

##F=m.a##

##a=\frac{v^2}{r}##
Tangential speed of 4 kg object is 8 m/s

At the top of the trajectory, there will be two downwards forces acting on 4 kg object, which are tension of string 2 (T2) and weight

##F=m.a##
##W + T_2=m.\frac{v^2}{r}##

Putting all the values, I get negative value for T2. Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
I get negative value for T2
Strange... I don't. Please fill in the details.

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Strange... I don't. Please fill in the details.
Never mind. I have checked several times before posting and didn't spot the mistake but only from once reading what you wrote I directly see my mistake. My dumbness just has no limit.

Thank you very much haruspex and happy new year

What is tension connecting two collinear rotating objects?

Tension connecting two collinear rotating objects refers to the force that is exerted on both objects as they rotate around a common axis. This force is directed along the line connecting the two objects and is responsible for keeping them in motion.

How is tension calculated in this scenario?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mrω^2, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

What factors affect the tension between two collinear rotating objects?

The tension between two collinear rotating objects is affected by the mass of the objects, the distance between them, and their respective angular velocities. Additionally, external forces such as friction or air resistance can also impact the tension.

Can tension between two collinear rotating objects be negative?

Yes, tension can be negative in this scenario. This occurs when the objects are rotating in opposite directions, causing the tension force to act in the opposite direction of the motion.

How does tension affect the motion of two collinear rotating objects?

Tension plays a crucial role in maintaining the motion of two collinear rotating objects. It provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the objects in circular motion and prevents them from flying off in a straight line.