Tension force in two strings supporting a sign

In summary, the tension in the wires will increase as the angle between the wires and the sign increases.
HareJare
Homework Statement
A sign have the mass 4kg. It will be hung up on a wire that can take a traction force of 35N
How long must the distance h be? (more info in picture)
Relevant Equations
F = mg
1617970750303.png

First i calculated the sign Force which was 4*9.81 = 39.24N
which meant that the force already exceeds the traction force.
What i don t understand in the question is how the distance h will avoid this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
HareJare said:
Homework Statement:: A sign have the mass 4kg. It will be hung up on a wire that can take a traction force of 35N
How long must the distance h be? (more info in picture)
Relevant Equations:: F = mg

First i calculated the sign Force which was 4*9.81 = 39.24N
which meant that the force already exceeds the traction force.
What i don t understand in the question is how the distance h will avoid this?
There are essentially two wires sharing that load, so you are not over the limit if the wires are very long so they are almost vertical.

As the wires are made shorter and shorter, the tension (what you translated as "traction") goes up. Can you write the equation for how much it goes up with the increasing horizontal angles?

Likes Lnewqban and FactChecker
berkeman said:
There are essentially two wires sharing that load, so you are not over the limit if the wires are very long so they are almost vertical.

As the wires are made shorter and shorter, the tension (what you translated as "traction") goes up. Can you write the equation for how much it goes up with the increasing horizontal angles?
Thank your for your reply but i don't really understand yet
2.4.png

Are you saying that when the force F1x is increased the wire will eventually break?
And F1 will always stay the same right? its just the F1y and F1x that will change?

HareJare said:
Are you saying that when the force F1x is increased the wire will eventually break?
And F1 will always stay the same right? its just the F1y and F1x that will change?
The vertical forces will stay the same, and they will each be half of the weight of the sign. The vertical forces and the angles of the wires tell you what the total forces (tensions) are. The total tension in the wires is what will cause them to break if the tension force along the length of each wire gets too big.

Likes Lnewqban and HareJare
berkeman said:
The vertical forces will stay the same, and they will each be half of the weight of the sign. The vertical forces and the angles of the wires tell you what the total forces (tensions) are. The total tension in the wires is what will cause them to break if the tension force along the length of each wire gets too big.
Okay i think i got it now thank you!

Likes berkeman
Great. Can you show us the equation for the tension force in each wire as a function of the angle now?

sin(x) = F1y/F1

HareJare said:
sin(x) = F1y/F1
I'd recommend using θ for the angle, since x and y are already defined as the horizontal and vertical axes.

Also, check your equation to be sure you are using the correct trig function of that angle θ. It would help if you could label the angle θ on your diagram so that it's easier for us to understand what angle you are calling θ.

BTW, the math symbols are now under the 3-dot menu in the middle of the toolbar above the Edit window (click on the little Greek Parthenon symbol, 3rd from the right).

1618165707218.png

Likes Lnewqban
berkeman said:
I'd recommend using θ for the angle, since x and y are already defined as the horizontal and vertical axes.

Also, check your equation to be sure you are using the correct trig function of that angle θ. It would help if you could label the angle θ on your diagram so that it's easier for us to understand what angle you are calling θ.

BTW, the math symbols are now under the 3-dot menu in the middle of the toolbar above the Edit window.

View attachment 281374
Yes okay i will think about this next time! Again thank you for your help

Likes berkeman

1. What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched by opposing forces acting on it.

2. How is tension force measured?

Tension force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a spring scale or a force sensor.

3. What factors affect the tension force in two strings supporting a sign?

The tension force in two strings supporting a sign is affected by the weight of the sign, the angle at which the strings are attached, and the strength and elasticity of the strings themselves.

4. How do you calculate the tension force in two strings supporting a sign?

The tension force in two strings supporting a sign can be calculated using the formula T = (W / cosθ) / 2, where T is the tension force, W is the weight of the sign, and θ is the angle at which the strings are attached.

5. What happens to the tension force if one of the strings supporting a sign breaks?

If one of the strings supporting a sign breaks, the tension force in the remaining string will increase to compensate for the loss of support. This can cause the remaining string to stretch and potentially break as well, leading to the sign falling.