Tension force of block and rope

In summary, the tension force at any point in the system is sum of forces acting at that point. In this scenario, the tension force at point A is 7500 g-m/s^2 because the assembly is accelerating upward at 3.00 m/s^2 and the net force acting on the system is 7.4 N.
Wes Turner

Homework Statement

Block B hangs from Block A by a Rope 1. Rope 2 hangs below Block B.
Each block has a mass of 1.0 kg.
Each rope has a mass of 250 g.
Page 157, prob 44.jpg

The entire assembly is accelerating upward at 3.00 m/s^2 by force F.
A. What is F?
B. What is the tension at the top of Rope 1?
C. What is the tension at the bottom of Rope 1?
D. What is the tension at the top of Rope 2?

Homework Equations

F = ma
T = Sum(forces acting on that point)
The tension force at any point in the system = sum of forces acting at that point.

The Attempt at a Solution

The total mass of the system is 2 x 1000 g + 2 x 250 g = 2500 g
The net acceleration on the entire system = 3.00 m/s^2. So the force at any point is that acceleration x the mass below that point.
A. F = ma = 2500 g x 3.00 m/s^2 = 7500 g-m/s^2 = 7.4 N
B. F = ma = (250 g + 1000 g + 250 g) x 3.00 m/s^2 = 4500 g-m/s^2 = 4.5 N
C. F = ma = (1000 g + 250 g) x 3.00 m/s^2 = 3750 g-m/s^2 = 3.75 N
D. F = ma = 250 g x 3.00 m/s^2 = 750 g-m/s^2 = 0.75 N
And the tension on the bottom of Rope 2 = 0 N.

Did I get that right?

Attachments

• Page 157, prob 44.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 1,408
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this scenario assumed to take place on Earth or in outer space?

stockzahn said:
Is this scenario assumed to take place on Earth or in outer space?
On earth, sorry. g = 9.8 m/s^2.
I also just noticed that I got the answers off by 1 letter. I just edited the original post to fix that (I hope). Sorry

Wes Turner said:
On earth, sorry. g = 9.8 m/s^2.

You didn't take into account all the acting forces. Try to draw a FBD and then apply Newton's 2nd law including all forces: ##ma=\sum F_i##.

stockzahn said:
You didn't take into account all the acting forces. Try to draw a FBD and then apply Newton's 2nd law including all forces: ##ma=\sum F_i##.
I tried to do that, but all of the previous examples in the book made use of massless ropes. I wasn't sure what to do when they asked about a point midway in the system that is has mass both above and below it.

Here's the FBD for the entire system (I think):
Page 157, prob 44 b.jpg

Attachments

• Page 157, prob 44 b.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 b.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,085
Wes Turner said:
I tried to do that, but all of the previous examples in the book made use of massless ropes. I wasn't sure what to do when they asked about a point midway in the system that is has mass both above and below it.

Here's the FBD for the entire system (I think):
View attachment 216566

Looks good. Now the force ##F_{net}## has to accelerate the entire mass with ##a=3\;m/s##, hence ##F_{net}=ma=T-w=\sum F_i##. You have two unknowns (##T,w##) but only one equation. You need another correlation to solve the problem (and since we are on earth...).

Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
Looks good. Now the force ##F_{net}## has to accelerate the entire mass with ##a=3\;m/s##, hence ##F_{net}=ma=T-w=\sum F_i##. You have two unknowns (##T,w##) but only one equation. You need another correlation to solve the problem (and since we are on earth...).
But isn't w just the weight of the system = 2500 g x 9.8 m/s^2 = 24500 g-m/s^2 = 24.5 N.

Wes Turner said:
But isn't w just the weight of the system = 2500 g x 9.8 m/s^2 = 24500 g-m/s^2 = 24.5 N.

It's the weight force. But yes, that's what's necessary to answer the question of point A. Substituting ##w## by ##mg## and inserting it in the balance of forces yields the force ##T##. I suppose you will then see how to calculate the points B-D, where, in your first attempt, you made the same mistake as in point A. The masses you took into account to solve the questions are correct.

Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
It's the weight force. But yes, that's what's necessary to answer the question of point A. Substituting ##w## by ##mg## and inserting it in the balance of forces yields the force ##T##. I suppose you will then see how to calculate the points B-D, where, in your first attempt, you made the same mistake as in point A. The masses you took into account to solve the questions are correct.
I started down that path, but I got stymied when my intuition told me that the forces on the bottom end of Rope 2 should be zero, which they wouldn't by if I have to take into account both the mass below (zero) and above (2500 g) that point.

Does that point at the bottom of Rope 2 feel any tension forces? Intuitively, it seems like it should not. It's a point and points are massless, no?

But then I couldn't reconcile that with what would happen if I considered the whole thing upside down in a place where the up force is g and the down force is whatever it would take to cause the whole thing to accelerate downward at 3.00 m/s^2. But still, it seems like that bottom (now top) point should not feel any tension force.

Wes Turner said:
I started down that path, but I got stymied when my intuition told me that the forces on the bottom end of Rope 2 should be zero, which they wouldn't by if I have to take into account both the mass below (zero) and above (2500 g) that point.

Does that point at the bottom of Rope 2 feel any tension forces? Intuitively, it seems like it should not. It's a point and points are massless, no?

But then I couldn't reconcile that with what would happen if I considered the whole thing upside down in a place where the up force is g and the down force is whatever it would take to cause the whole thing to accelerate downward at 3.00 m/s^2. But still, it seems like that bottom (now top) point should not feel any tension force.

To calculate the force at a certain point of a rope, you mentally cut it and apply forces to fulfill the kinematic conditions. That's what you explained in your first post:

Wes Turner said:
The tension force at any point in the system = sum of forces acting at that point.

You have to take into account all the masses below to obtain the force in this point of the rope. Now what mass you have to accelerate, if you mentally cut the rope at it's very end?

Likes Wes Turner
PS.: Any solution regarding the point A by now?

stockzahn said:
PS.: Any solution regarding the point A by now?
Do you mean the point just below Block A?

I see now that I didn't label the diagram very well. Here's a better version:
Page 157, prob 44 c.jpg

Now, is the net force on point R1a equal to 1000 g x 3.00 m/s^2 + 1500 g x 9.8 m/s^2?

If not, I can't think straight any longer tonight. Off for some sleep.

Attachments

• Page 157, prob 44 c.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 c.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 632
Wes Turner said:
Do you mean the point just below Block A?

Sorry, misunderstanding. By point A, I meant question A (total force).

Wes Turner said:
Now, is the net force on point R1a equal to 1000 g x 3.00 m/s^2 + 1500 g x 9.8 m/s^2?

No, just try to solve question A with

1) ##ma=T-w##
2) ##w=mg##

and I suppose the solution of the questions B-D becomes obvious.

Wes Turner said:
If not, I can't think straight any longer tonight. Off for some sleep.

Good night from CET.

Last edited:
Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
OK, maybe thinking a little more clearly now...

Here's another sketch for part (b), the tension on the top of Rope 1 (point R1a).
Page 157, prob 44 c.jpg
Page 157, prob 44 d.jpg

Fnet
= T - w = ma = 2.5kg x a = T - 1.5kg x g
T
- 1.5kg x 9.8m/s^2 = 2.5kg x 3m/s
T = 2.5kg x 3m/s + 1.5kg x 9.8m/s^2
T = 7.5N + 14.7N = 22.2N

I have to go to class now. I'll check back in later.

Attachments

• Page 157, prob 44 d.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 d.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Page 157, prob 44 c.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 c.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,018
Wes Turner said:
OK, maybe thinking a little more clearly now...

Here's another sketch for part (b), the tension on the top of Rope 1 (point R1a).
View attachment 216594 View attachment 216592

Fnet
= T - w = ma = 2.5kg x a = T - 1.5kg x g
T
- 1.5kg x 9.8m/s^2 = 2.5kg x 3m/s
T = 2.5kg x 3m/s + 1.5kg x 9.8m/s^2
T = 7.5N + 14.7N = 22.2N

I have to go to class now. I'll check back in later.

I'm sorry for the confusion regarding the expression "point". Try to mentally cut the system at the respective spot (as I drew for the four questions in the picture at the and of the post). The corresponding forces ##F_a## to ##F_d## act to accelerate all the masses below. Let's start with a) and solve the force balance for it.

##ma=F_a- \sum m_i g##

Now all the other questions b)-d) can be solved analogously. From the drawing you can see, what masses the forces ##F_b## to ##F_d## have to accelerate.

Attachments

• BoxesRopes_01.jpg
    BoxesRopes_01.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 434
Likes Wes Turner
Let me start over. I'm going to get this right if it kills me.

Let's start by calculating F. In my original post, I had it as 7.4N:
F = ma = 2500 g x 3.00 m/s^2 = 7500 g-m/s^2 = 7.4 N
But this ignores gravity. To get the correct values, I think I first need to calculate Fg, the force due to gravity on the entire system:
Fg = w = 2.5kg x g = 2.5kg x 9.8m/s2 = 24.5N

To calculate F, I need a force that will achieve an acceleration of 3.0 m/s2 plus overcome Fg.
F = ma = 2.5kg x (3.00m/s2 + 9.8m/s2) = 2.5kg x 12.8m/s2 = 32kg-m/s2 = 32N

Please tell me if I have it right so far...

Thanks, WT

Wes Turner said:
Let me start over. I'm going to get this right if it kills me.

Let's start by calculating F. In my original post, I had it as 7.4N:

But this ignores gravity. To get the correct values, I think I first need to calculate Fg, the force due to gravity on the entire system:
Fg = w = 2.5kg x g = 2.5kg x 9.8m/s2 = 24.5N

To calculate F, I need a force that will achieve an acceleration of 3.0 m/s2 plus overcome Fg.
F = ma = 2.5kg x (3.00m/s2 + 9.8m/s2) = 2.5kg x 12.8m/s2 = 32kg-m/s2 = 32N

Please tell me if I have it right so far...

Thanks, WT

That's it! Now for all the other questions it's the same way to calculate the forces by taking into account the correct masses to be accelerated by the forces ##F_b## to ##F_d##.

Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
That's it! Now for all the other questions it's the same way to calculate the forces by taking into account the correct masses to be accelerated by the forces ##F_b## to ##F_d##.
Good. Here's an updated problem diagram and FBD for the entire system:
Pg157, prob44 01 Prob diagram-3.jpg
Pg157, prob44 02 FBD entire system-2.jpg

Do you see any errors here?

I noticed that you posted a thumbnail. Is it better if I post thumbnails instead of the full image?

Attachments

• Pg157, prob44 02 FBD entire system-2.jpg
    Pg157, prob44 02 FBD entire system-2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 732
  • Pg157, prob44 01 Prob diagram-3.jpg
    Pg157, prob44 01 Prob diagram-3.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 833
Wes Turner said:
Good. Here's an updated problem diagram and FBD for the entire system:
View attachment 216670 View attachment 216669
Do you see any errors here?

Well, according to your right picture the force balance yields ##ma=F-F_g=32-24.5=7.5\;N##. The mass ##m=2.5\;kg##, therefore ##a=7.5\;N / 2.5\;kg = 3\;m/s^2##. That's the requested value for the acceleration and the answer of the question a) is obtained (##F_a=32\;N##). So I don't see an error.

Wes Turner said:
I noticed that you posted a thumbnail. Is it better if I post thumbnails instead of the full image?

No, I don't see an advantage. It's just a habit in my case.

Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
Well, according to your right picture the force balance yields ##ma=F-F_g=32-24.5=7.5\;N##. The mass ##m=2.5\;kg##, therefore ##a=7.5\;N / 2.5\;kg = 3\;m/s^2##. That's the requested value for the acceleration and the answer of the question a) is obtained (##F_a=32\;N##). So I don't see an error.
Ok, good. Here's my solution for Part (b):
Pg157, prob44 04 Part b diagram-1.jpg

In b.1 I divide the system at point R1a. The force on the entire system, F, is still 23N. The tension force on R1a is 19.2N, because it does not include the mass of Block A.

T = ma = 1.5kg x 12.8m/s2 = 19.2N

I believe this is correct, but the diagram bothers me, because it does not show Fg, at least not explicitly. I suppose it is included in F, which would otherwise have a = 3.0m/s2.

So how do I then draw the FBD. I thought we were to show all forces.

?

Using this approach, the answer (c) is T = 16N and (d) is T = 3.2N. The tension at R2b = 0N.

Comments?

Off to bed. Goodnight from PT.

Attachments

• Pg157, prob44 04 Part b diagram-1.jpg
    Pg157, prob44 04 Part b diagram-1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 803
Wes Turner said:
In b.1 I divide the system at point R1a. The force on the entire system, F, is still 23N. The tension force on R1a is 19.2N, because it does not include the mass of Block A.
T = ma = 1.5kg x 12.8m/s2 = 19.2N

Be cautious, when setting up the force balance. With the tension force ##T_b## (I called it ##F_b##) it reads ##ma=T_b-mg##.

Wes Turner said:
So how do I then draw the FBD. I thought we were to show all forces.
?
Using this approach, the answer (c) is T = 16N and (d) is T = 3.2N. The tension at R2b = 0N.

Imagine the system in rest (no change of the state of movement (so ##a=0##, static case). Now at the very end of the second rope, the tension force is zero, since below that point there is no mass to hold. Assuming homogeneous bodies and mentally going upwards from the bottommost point (as illustrated in the picture below the post): The tension in the system must increase linearly and at the connections between boxes and ropes there must be a discrete change of the slope (blue arrows). At the top the force holding the entire system must be equal to the weight force. If you want to find the tension force at a certain position, you can find it using the tension force progress (example: red arrows to find the tension force of 4.6 N somewhere in the lower box). The 4.6 N correspond to the weight force of the masses below.

Now, the entire system is accelerated. Like the tension force only has to hold the weight of the masses below in the static case, it only has to accelerate the masses below in the dynamic. If the entire force ##F## would be applied to the partial system, the acceleration would be higher than at the top and the top part would be overtaken by the lower parts of the system. The difference ##F-T## is used to accelerate the masses above.

Wes Turner said:
Goodnight from PT.

Goodnight from CET.

Attachments

• StaticCase_01.jpg
    StaticCase_01.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 349
Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
Imagine the system in rest (no change of the state of movement (so ##a=0##, static case). Now at the very end of the second rope, the tension force is zero, since below that point there is no mass to hold. Assuming homogeneous bodies and mentally going upwards from the bottommost point (as illustrated in the picture below the post): The tension in the system must increase linearly and at the connections between boxes and ropes there must be a discrete change of the slope (blue arrows). At the top the force holding the entire system must be equal to the weight force. If you want to find the tension force at a certain position, you can find it using the tension force progress (example: red arrows to find the tension force of 4.6 N somewhere in the lower box). The 4.6 N correspond to the weight force of the masses below.
Your diagram is very helpful. I think I understand all of it except for the tension of 4.6N at what looks like the midpoint of Block B. I have annotated your drawing to add scales for mass and tension.
Pg157, prob44 05 Tension diagram (stockzahn) annotated.jpg

Did I do the T calculations correctly? If so, then it seems that your 4.6N should be 7.35N. No?

Edit: I keep making typos. I just corrected the last line in this post to say 7.35N, not 2.45N.
In the previous post, I transposed the digits in F and labeled it 23N, when I meant 32N. (sigh)

Attachments

• Pg157, prob44 05 Tension diagram (stockzahn) annotated.jpg
    Pg157, prob44 05 Tension diagram (stockzahn) annotated.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
If I understand it correctly, here are the tension forces for all of the points in the diagram, plus the ones at the top and bottom:
Page 157, prob 44 06 Tension forces, static.jpg

And here's a diagram showing the forces.
Page 157, prob 44 06 Tension diagram, static.jpg

Please let me know if there are any errors.

Now, to get to the dynamic case, all I have to do is add the 3.00 m/s2 acceleration force. Here's that table.
Page 157, prob 44 07 Tension forces, dynamic.jpg

I don't have a diagram for that yet.

Please let me know if any errors.

Thanks

Attachments

• Page 157, prob 44 06 Tension diagram, static.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 06 Tension diagram, static.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,313
  • Page 157, prob 44 06 Tension forces, static.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 06 Tension forces, static.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 451
  • Page 157, prob 44 07 Tension forces, dynamic.jpg
    Page 157, prob 44 07 Tension forces, dynamic.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 481
Likes stockzahn
Wes Turner said:
Did I do the T calculations correctly? If so, then it seems that your 4.6N should be 7.35N. No?

Sorry, that was my bad. You are of course right, the force should be around 7.4 N. Thanks for noticing.

Wes Turner said:
Now, to get to the dynamic case, all I have to do is add the 3.00 m/s2 acceleration force. Here's that table.

That's it, problem solved. Well Done!

Likes Wes Turner
stockzahn said:
That's it, problem solved. Well Done!
Thanks very much for your help. Simplifying it to the static case was the breakthrough. Without that extra force, I was able to visualize it and then it was easy to add that force back in. Without your help, I may well have given up. :frown:

What is tension force?

Tension force is the pulling force that occurs when an object is being stretched or pulled by a rope, string, or cable.

How is tension force calculated?

Tension force can be calculated by using the formula T = F * sinθ, where T is the tension force, F is the magnitude of the applied force, and θ is the angle between the rope and the direction of the applied force.

What factors affect the tension force in a block and rope system?

The tension force in a block and rope system is affected by the weight of the block, the angle of the rope, the friction between the block and the surface it is resting on, and the strength and elasticity of the rope.

How does the tension force change if the angle of the rope is increased?

If the angle of the rope is increased, the tension force will also increase. This is because a larger angle increases the horizontal component of the force, which in turn increases the tension force.

What is the difference between tension force and compression force?

Tension force is a pulling force that occurs when an object is being stretched, while compression force is a pushing force that occurs when an object is being compressed. Tension force acts in the opposite direction of compression force.