Tension in a rope hanging between two trees

In summary, the tension at the end of the rope can be found by splitting it into horizontal and vertical components and using the equation T = W/2cos(theta). For the tension in the middle of the rope, drawing a free-body diagram and considering the forces acting on half of the rope leads to the equation T' = Wtan(theta)/2, where T' is the tension at the middle of the rope.
Buffu

Homework Statement

A uniform rope of weight ##W## hangs between two trees. The ends of the rope are same height, and they each make an angle ##\theta## with the trees. Find :

a): The tension at the either end of the rope.

b): The tension in the middle of the rope.

upload_2017-5-21_19-33-11.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For the tension at the end, We split the tension in horizontal and vertical compoenents. ##T \sin\theta## and ##T \cos \theta## respectively.

Since the vertical forces balance the weight, ##2T \cos\theta = W \iff T = \dfrac{W}{2\cos\theta}##,

I am stuck at second part.
I know the tension would be tangent to the curve. I thought I will integrate over the curve to find the total tension but the curve is not a semi circle instead it is a catenary which has a locus ##y = \alpha \cosh(x/\alpha)##, nevertheless this locus looks a complete mess to.

Is there a way apart from this mess ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you draw a free body diagram of an arbitrary section of the rope, what is the total horizontal force component?

Orodruin said:
If you draw a free body diagram of an arbitrary section of the rope, what is the total horizontal force component?

Ok let me try.

path42016.png
So the total horizontal force would be ##dT \cos(da/2) \cos a## is this correct ? Now should I integrate from ##0 \to \pi/2## ?

It is much (much) simpler than that. You just need to draw the free-body diagram of the correct part of the rope. Hint: Try drawing the free-body diagram for half the rope. What forces act on that half in the different directions?

Orodruin said:
It is much (much) simpler than that. You just need to draw the free-body diagram of the correct part of the rope. Hint: Try drawing the free-body diagram for half the rope. What forces act on that half in the different directions?

Ok I did that, the horizontal force toward right is ##T\sin \theta## and towards left is ##T^\prime##, since rope is at rest, ##T^\prime = T\sin \theta = W\tan\theta /2##.

Is this correct ?

As you move along the rope, how would you expect the vertical component of tension to change? How would you expect horizontal component to change along the rope?

Buffu said:
Ok I did that, the horizontal force toward right is ##T\sin \theta## and towards left is ##T^\prime##, since rope is at rest, ##T^\prime = T\sin \theta = W\tan\theta /2##.

Is this correct ?
Yes.

1. What causes tension in a rope hanging between two trees?

Tension in a rope hanging between two trees is caused by the weight of the rope itself and any additional weight or force applied to it, such as the weight of objects attached to the rope or the force of someone pulling on the rope.

2. How does tension affect the strength of a rope?

Higher levels of tension can increase the strength of a rope, allowing it to bear heavier loads without breaking. However, excessive tension can also weaken a rope over time, causing it to stretch or fray.

3. What factors can impact the amount of tension in a rope?

The amount of tension in a rope can be affected by various factors, including the weight of the rope, the weight of any objects attached to the rope, the distance between the two trees, and the angle at which the rope is hanging.

4. How can tension in a rope be measured?

Tension in a rope can be measured using a device called a tension meter, which can accurately measure the amount of force being applied to the rope. Alternatively, tension can also be estimated by measuring the length of the rope and the angle at which it is hanging.

5. How can tension in a rope be adjusted?

Tension in a rope can be adjusted by changing the weight of the rope itself, adjusting the distance between the two trees, or by adding or removing weight from the rope. Additionally, the angle at which the rope is hanging can also impact the amount of tension in the rope.