Tension in landing cable on an aircraft carrier

In summary, the plane lands on a deck with a tension cable stretched across it. The cable is hydraulically controlled and stops the plane 60 meters from the ground. The tension in the cable is 1387649.215 Newtons.
Alex Thiebes

Homework Statement

[/B]
Keep in mind this is a Top Gun-themed homework assignment.
Cougar comes in for a shaky landing. His 20422 kg airplane traveling at 85 m/s strikes the deck at 3.5 degrees below the horizontal. Cougar's plane snags the landing cable stretched across the deck. The landing cable is a cable which feeds out from beneath the deck of the carrier from two points 15 m apart from each other. The cable is hydraulically controlled so that it maintains a constant tension. The airplane travels forward 60 meters before stopping. Consider the landing cable to be the only thing that stops the aircraft, the wheel brakes are not applied.
Calculate the magnitude of tension in the landing cable.

Homework Equations

[/B]
W = 1/2mv^2 (in this case)
W = ∫Fxdx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since there's no direct way to find tension, I started with W = .5(20422)(85cos3.5)^2, solving for work done by the cable on the plane, which gave me -73499523.13 J. This answer was another part of the question and has been marked as correct.

In order to solve for tension I tried setting 73499523.13 J equal to ∫Tsin(arctan(x/7.5))dx from 0 to 60 meters, or 73499523.13 = T(7.5sqrt(.0177777777(60)^2 + 1)-7.5sqrt(1)).

This gave me T = 73499523.13/(7.5sqrt(65) - 7.5), or 1387649.215 Newtons.

Using my calculator to integrate the tension function and I arrived at the same answer. 1387649.215 N is not the correct answer, so I would like help on this problem, as the rest of my classmates are stumped as well.

I apologize ahead of time for formatting errors and for the lack of illustrations provided in the homework itself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Thiebes said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Keep in mind this is a Top Gun-themed homework assignment.
Cougar comes in for a shaky landing. His 20422 kg airplane traveling at 85 m/s strikes the deck at 3.5 degrees below the horizontal. Cougars plane snags the landing cable stretched across the deck. The landing cable is a cable which feeds out from beneath the deck of the carrier from two points 15 m apart from each other. The cable is hydraulically controlled so that it maintains a constant tension. The airplane travels forward 60 meters before stopping. Consider the landing cable to be the only thing that stops the aircraft, the wheel brakes are not applied.
Calculate the magnitude of tension in the landing cable.

Homework Equations

[/B]
W = 1/2mv^2 (in this case)
W = ∫Fxdx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since there's no direct way to find tension, I started with W = .5(20422)(85cos3.5)^2, solving for work done by the cable on the plane, which gave me -73499523.13 J. This answer was another part of the question and has been marked as correct. In order to solve for tension I tried setting 73499523.13 J equal to ∫Tsin(arctan(x/7.5))dx from 0 to 60 meters, or 73499523.13 = T(7.5sqrt(.0177777777(60)^2 + 1)-7.5sqrt(1)). This gave me T = 73499523.13/(7.5sqrt(65) - 7.5), or 1387649.215 Newtons. Using my calculator to integrate the tension function and I arrived at the same answer. 1387649.215 N is not the correct answer, so I would like help on this problem, as the rest of my classmates are stumped as well.

I apologize ahead of time for formatting errors and for the lack of illustrations provided in the homework itself.

You should draw a sketch of the plane and the arrester cable (that's what it's actually called) looking down on the deck of the carrier. You've assumed in your calculations that there is only one tension you are dealing with. The arrester cable system is actually arranged more like this:
maxresdefault.jpg

Note: Ignore the numbers on the graphic. They are not for this problem.

In the graphic above, the plane has snagged the arrester cable and is moving to the right.

Also, it's a lot easier to follow a string of calculations if they aren't buried in a paragraph of text.

I'll reformat my calculations after this, and I did draw a diagram but I don't have anything to take a picture with at the moment.
I did not know about the pistons as they aren't mentioned anywhere in the problem, but I think I may have only solved for half of the tension. I just wasn't sure if I was correct up until the end.

Alex Thiebes said:
I'll reformat my calculations after this, and I did draw a diagram but I don't have anything to take a picture with at the moment.
I did not know about the pistons as they aren't mentioned anywhere in the problem, but I think I may have only solved for half of the tension. I just wasn't sure if I was correct up until the end.
You don't have to worry how the tension in the arrester cable is maintained, only that it remains constant while slowing the aircraft.

This image was the best one I could find online which showed how the arresting system worked for purposes of illustrating the current problem.

Alex Thiebes said:
I think I may have only solved for half of the tension
Yes, it looks like you forgot there are two instances of the tension, as far as the aircraft is concerned.
You don't need any calculus to solve this. Just think about the work done on the cable.

1. What is tension in landing cable on an aircraft carrier?

Tension in landing cable is the force exerted by the cable on the aircraft during landing on an aircraft carrier. It is responsible for slowing down and stopping the aircraft safely on the deck of the carrier.

2. Why is tension in landing cable important?

Tension in landing cable is important because it ensures the safe landing of the aircraft on the deck of the carrier. It also helps in controlling the speed of the aircraft and preventing it from overshooting the landing area.

3. How is tension in landing cable controlled?

Tension in landing cable is controlled by a system of mechanical devices and hydraulic dampers. These devices work together to adjust the tension in the cable based on the weight and speed of the aircraft, ensuring a smooth and safe landing.

4. What happens if the tension in landing cable is too high?

If the tension in landing cable is too high, it can cause the aircraft to come to a sudden stop, putting excessive stress on the landing gear and potentially damaging the aircraft. It can also lead to a rough landing, making it difficult for the pilot to control the aircraft.

5. How is tension in landing cable measured?

Tension in landing cable is typically measured using strain gauges that are attached to the cable. These gauges measure the amount of strain or stretching in the cable, which is then used to calculate the tension. The measurement is usually displayed on a gauge in the control room for the pilot and landing signal officer to monitor during landings.