Tension in Rope Wrapped Around a Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a physics problem involving masses connected by a rope with friction. The first part of the problem is solved correctly and the second part involves finding the acceleration of the masses after they start to move. The conversation covers using the Capstan equation and the relationship between TA and TB, as well as the relationship between a1 and a2. The correct solution is eventually found with a1 being equal to -a2.
Poetria

Homework Statement

I solved the first part of the problem correctly. Here there is the second part:
assume that m1 is large enough so that the rope starts to slip and the masses start to move. What is a, the magnitude of the acceleration of the masses after sliding has begun?

Hint: Just when the masses start moving, the relationship between T_A

and T_B becomes T_B=T_A*e^(-mu_k*pi), where mu static is replaced by mu kinetic.

m_1>m_2
theta = pi

Homework Equations

I guess I have include the friction force and use the Capstan equation to do so but I am lost.

The Attempt at a Solution

T_1>T_2
T_1 = T_A (from the first part)
T_1 = T_2 + F_f (friction on the contact surface)

m_1*g-T_A=m_1*a_1
T_B-m_2*g = m_2*a_2

I tried to experiment with the moment of inertia but it wasn't covered in the course. Any hint what to do next? I am still left with T_A, when I try to calculate acceleration.

Attachments

• Tension_in_a_rope.jpg
    Tension_in_a_rope.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 782
Physics news on Phys.org
Poetria said:
I am still left with T_A, when I try to calculate acceleration.
I don't see how. You know the relationship between TA and TB, and the relationship between a1 and a2. Four equations, four unknowns.

Likes Poetria
I see.
Is this correct:

for T_A:

m_1*g-T_A=T_A*e^(-mu_k*pi)-m_2*g

since m_1*a_1=m_2*a_2

finally I got:
T_A=(g*m_1+m_2)/(1+e^(-mu_k*pi))a*(m_1+m_2)= m_1*a_1-m_2*a_2

The right side:
T_A-m_1*g-T_B+m_2*g = T_A*(1-e^(-mu_k*pi))+g*(m_2-m_1)

So
a = ((g*(m_1+m_2)/(1+e^(-mu_k*pi)))*(1-e^(-mu_k*pi))+g*(m_2-m_1))/(m_1+m_2)

It looks complicated.

Poetria said:
since m_1*a_1=m_2*a_2
Um, why?

Likes Poetria
haruspex said:
Um, why?

I thought this is because mass 1 and mass 2 are connected.

Poetria said:
I thought this is because mass 1 and mass 2 are connected.
Yes, but by what, exactly?

Likes Poetria
haruspex said:
Yes, but by what, exactly?

By a rope of course. I thought net force for 1 should be equal in magnitude to net force for 2. I guess I don't understand it. :(

Poetria said:
By a rope of course.
Right, not a length of elastic.

haruspex said:
Right, not a length of elastic.

Yes, It won't stretch. It is just like taking derivatives of the length of a rope. Acceleration is its second derivative.
So is just a_1=a_2?

Poetria said:
Yes, It won't stretch. It is just like taking derivatives of the length of a rope. Acceleration is its second derivative.
So is just a_1=a_2?
Right.

Likes Poetria
haruspex said:
Right.

Thanks. I got the right answer. Phew.

haruspex said:
Right.
It should be (a_1 = - a_2). Correct me if i am wrong.

swaqqiali said:
It should be (a_1 = - a_2). Correct me if i am wrong.
If you look at the equations in post #1 you will see that a1 is being defined as positive down while a2 is defined as positive up. a1=a2.

haruspex said:
If you look at the equations in post #1 you will see that a1 is being defined as positive down while a2 is defined as positive up. a1=a2.
yes, i missed that, thank you.

1. What is tension in rope wrapped around a rod?

Tension in rope wrapped around a rod is the force exerted by the rope on the rod when it is pulled or stretched. It is caused by the rope's resistance to being stretched or compressed and is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds.

2. What factors affect tension in rope wrapped around a rod?

The tension in rope wrapped around a rod can be influenced by several factors, including the material and thickness of the rope, the diameter and material of the rod, the amount of weight or force applied to the rope, and the angle at which the rope is wrapped around the rod.

3. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension in rope wrapped around a rod?

The tension in rope wrapped around a rod is directly proportional to the angle at which the rope is wrapped. This means that as the angle increases, the tension also increases. This is because a greater angle of wrap creates a larger surface area of contact between the rope and the rod, increasing the force exerted by the rope on the rod.

4. Can the tension in rope wrapped around a rod be calculated?

Yes, the tension in rope wrapped around a rod can be calculated using the formula T = W * sin(θ), where T is the tension, W is the weight or force applied to the rope, and θ is the angle of wrap. However, this formula assumes that the rope and rod are in a state of equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on them are balanced.

5. How can the tension in rope wrapped around a rod be increased or decreased?

The tension in rope wrapped around a rod can be increased or decreased by adjusting the amount of weight or force applied to the rope or by changing the angle of wrap. Increasing the weight or force will increase the tension, while decreasing it will decrease the tension. Similarly, a smaller angle of wrap will result in less tension, while a larger angle will result in more tension.