Tension in the string and tangential accleration

In summary, the problem involves a particle of mass m whirled on the end of a string of length R in a vertical plane in Earth's gravitational field. The instantaneous speed is v when the string makes angle Ө with the horizontal. To find the tension T in the string and the tangential acceleration, we need to use the formula for centripetal acceleration and substitute for Fc and W (mg) in the equation T= Fc + W sin Ө. Care must be taken with signs and defining the direction of positive and negative values.
Hamza Abbasi

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is whirled on the end of a string of length R. The motion is in vertical plane in Earth's gravitational field . The instantaneous speed is v when the string makes angle Ө with the horizontal. Find the tension T in the string and the tangential acceleration at this instant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my classical mechanics homework problem.
T= Fc+W sin theta .
I have come up with this equation , is this correct . And how to find the tangential acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you come up with it, and what are Fc and W? The final answer should use R, v and Ө only.

Can you show me how ?

mfb said:
How did you come up with it, and what are Fc and W? The final answer should use R, v and Ө only.
m and g also.

Hamza Abbasi said:
Can you show me how ?
Express Fc in terms of m, g, r, v, Ө (you won't need all of them). There's a standard equation you should use (and which should have been listed in the Relevant Equations).
Express W similarly.
Be careful with signs. Define whether up or down is considered positive, and whether the value of g is taken to be positive or negative. (E.g. if up is positive, then you can write gravitational acceleration as g, taking a negative value, or as -g, taking a positive value.)

haruspex said:
Be careful with signs. Define whether up or down is considered positive, and whether the value of g is taken to be positive or negative. (E.g. if up is positive, then you can write gravitational acceleration as g, taking a negative value, or as -g, taking a positive value.)
It's not just signs, you should consider both contributions as vectors, not with their absolute values.
haruspex said:
m and g also.
Right, of course.

mfb said:
It's not just signs, you should consider both contributions as vectors, not with their absolute values.Right, of course.
I am not getting it :(

Then start with the hints haruspex gave.
At least write down the equations you know that could be relevant here, and see if one of those has quantities that are given here.

haruspex said:
Express Fc in terms of m, g, r, v, Ө (you won't need all of them). There's a standard equation you should use (and which should have been listed in the Relevant Equations).
Express W similarly.
And what is that relevant equation from which I should start my assumption?

Hamza Abbasi said:
And what is that relevant equation from which I should start my assumption?
The formula for centripetal acceleration.

haruspex said:
The formula for centripetal acceleration.
mv^2/r , this one? So I should substitute value of Fc in T= Fc+W sin theta? I am sorry , if my silly questions are annoying you :cry:

Hamza Abbasi said:
mv^2/r , this one? So I should substitute value of Fc in T= Fc+W sin theta?
yes. Substitute for W too (mg).

1. What is tension in a string?

Tension in a string refers to the force that is transmitted through the string when it is pulled taut. It is a measure of the stretch or pull on the string.

2. How is tension in a string related to tangential acceleration?

Tension in a string is directly related to tangential acceleration, as it is the force that causes an object to accelerate in a circular or curved path. The greater the tension in the string, the greater the tangential acceleration.

3. How is tension in a string affected by the mass of an object?

The tension in a string is affected by the mass of an object, as a heavier object will require a greater force to accelerate it in a circular path. This will result in a higher tension in the string.

4. What factors affect the tension in a string?

The tension in a string can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object being pulled, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path the object is following. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

5. How can tension in a string be calculated?

Tension in a string can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force (tension) is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is the tangential acceleration, and the mass is the mass of the object. The equation can be written as T = m x a.