Tension is causing me to be tensed

In summary, there are two questions about tension (the force) that the speakers have been struggling to understand. The first question involves two people holding a rope and applying equal forces, and the second question involves one person pulling with a greater force. The expert summarizer provides an explanation for both situations, stating that the tension in the rope is equal to the net force acting on the rope divided by its mass. They also mention that a rope with a small mass and a large net force will accelerate quickly, which could explain why pulling on a rope can result in a fall. The expert also addresses a sub-question about equilibrium and the stability of the system. Overall, the expert emphasizes the importance of understanding all the forces at play in order to fully
Dale said:
He has to hold on.
Yes, I see what you mean.
His muscles in the hand have to be strong enough to either hold on by friction with the rope (enough normal force) or to keep his fingers "hooked" around some handle.
If the acceleration is too high he may not be able to.

But as you said (for the n-th time), this is not relevant for the reaction on the first astronaut. Maybe just indirectly. If he let go then the interaction at the other end changes.

Physics news on Phys.org
nasu said:
His muscles in the hand have to be strong enough to either hold on by friction with the rope (enough normal force) or to keep his fingers "hooked" around some handle.
If the acceleration is too high he may not be able to.
Yes. Your earlier example of the boat and the water skier is very appropriate. I learned that lesson the hard way when I was quite young, much to my embarrassment. The maximum amount of force that the rope could exert on was limited by my grip strength.

nasu said:
But as you said (for the n-th time), this is not relevant for the reaction on the first astronaut. Maybe just indirectly. If he let go then the interaction at the other end changes.
Yes, and if the rope is modeled more realistically (non zero mass and non infinite stiffness) then the disconnect becomes more obvious.

EddiePhy ...u need to consider the free body concept...it'll clear as crystal...