Tension of String in Yo-Yo Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the principle of conservation of energy to find the equation of motion of the centre of mass of a yo-yo. The equation of motion is given as x''=(2a^2g)/(2a^2+R^2) and the tension of the string is determined to be T=2MgR^2/(2a^2+R^2). There is a question about the tension at a specific distance y, which may be the same as the previously calculated tension or could be different. Further clarification or calculations may be needed to determine the exact tension at this distance.
jasony

Homework Statement

A yo-yo consists of two uniform heavy discs, each of mass M and radius R, connected
by a light axle of radius a around which one end of a string is wound. One end of the string is attached to the axle and the other to a fixed point P. The yo-yo is held with its centre of mass vertically below P and then released.

Homework Equations

Assuming that the unwound part of the string is approximately vertical, use the principle of conservation of energy to find the equation of motion of the centre of mass of yo-yo. What is the tension of the string when the centre of mass has fallen a distance y?

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to check if my answer is correct.
My answers are x''=(2a^2g)/(2a^2+R^2) for the equation of motion
and T=2MgR^2/(2a^2+R^2)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's what I get.
But why does the question ask for the tension at a distance y? Surely the tension is the same everywhere? Or have I gone wrong somewhere?

Related to Tension of String in Yo-Yo Motion

1. What is a moment of inertia in yoyo physics?

A moment of inertia refers to the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. In yoyo physics, it is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational speed of a spinning yoyo.

2. How is moment of inertia related to the design of a yoyo?

The moment of inertia of a yoyo is affected by its mass distribution and shape. A yoyo with more mass concentrated towards its center will have a lower moment of inertia, making it easier to change its rotational speed.

3. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia in yoyo physics?

The formula for moment of inertia in yoyo physics is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the yoyo, and r is the distance from the center of the yoyo to the point of rotation.

4. How does moment of inertia affect the performance of a yoyo?

A yoyo with a lower moment of inertia will be easier to accelerate and change direction, making it more responsive and better for tricks that require quick movements. A yoyo with a higher moment of inertia will have more stability and spin time, making it better for longer, more complex tricks.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a yoyo be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a yoyo can be changed by adjusting its weight distribution. This can be done by adding or removing weight from certain parts of the yoyo, or by changing the overall shape of the yoyo.