Tensions, forces, and moments for an A-Frame crane

In summary: The legs are not "light, rigid rods" and they are not really weighty material. They are just very long, thin pieces of metal.

Homework Statement

I have to solve for legs AB, CB, and the tension in DB. The weight of the fish net is 200 kg.
phpYadhkg.png

Homework Equations

Sum of moment = 0
Sum of force in x,y,z directions = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do. I've tried using AB and CB as two force members but this doesn't give me any information. The only thing that I really know is the weight of the fish net, which basically means that I know the tension in DB has to be equal to this weight. I've solved one part of the problem, but have no idea about how to determine the force along the legs of AB and CB

Physics news on Phys.org
One property of this system which is to your advantage is that the problem is symmetric about the y-z plane, which suggests that you can determine certain relationships between the forces acting in legs AB and CB.

As always with these types of problems, a systematic approach to determining the solution is recommended. First, draw a free body diagram which isolates either leg AB or CB, and start writing equations of static equilibrium.

If you need more detailed help, please show your work.

SteamKing said:
One property of this system which is to your advantage is that the problem is symmetric about the y-z plane, which suggests that you can determine certain relationships between the forces acting in legs AB and CB.

As always with these types of problems, a systematic approach to determining the solution is recommended. First, draw a free body diagram which isolates either leg AB or CB, and start writing equations of static equilibrium.

If you need more detailed help, please show your work.

Okay, just one quick question. Is it okay to assume that the legs AB and CB equally contribute to resisting forces? For instance, if the weight causes a -x N force in the +z axis, then can I say AB_z = CB_z so 2 * AB_z = x Newtons?

How would I go about justifying this? Because if I am unable to do this, I don't think I'm able to solve the problem.

x86 said:
Okay, just one quick question. Is it okay to assume that the legs AB and CB equally contribute to resisting forces? For instance, if the weight causes a -x N force in the +z axis, then can I say AB_z = CB_z so 2 * AB_z = x Newtons?

How would I go about justifying this? Because if I am unable to do this, I don't think I'm able to solve the problem.

Well this is Physics, not metaphysics.

There's a big difference between not being able to solve the problem, and not caring to solve the problem because you might have to make an assumption or two. Assumptions are made all the time in the world outside of the classroom, and most of them are not made with certitude beyond epistemological doubt.

If the system has geometric symmetry, it is reasonable to assume that symmetrically applied forces will distribute symmetrically into the system, especially if the system is in static equilibrium, as this one is.

The fish net is hanging over the apex of the A-frame, and it appears to be static, so there will be no side loads generated by the non-existent dynamics of a swinging load, i.e., there is no evidence that the weight of the fishnet is producing any net force in the x-direction, positive or negative.

SteamKing said:
If the system has geometric symmetry, it is reasonable to assume that symmetrically applied forces will distribute symmetrically into the system.
I would go further, and say that symmetry is an entirely valid argument, not just an assumption. Moreover, it is perfectly possible to solve the problem without employing that argument, but unnecessarily complicated.

I notice that no one has asked whether or not the legs AB and CB have mass. So I shall do so :)

Are the legs "light, rigid rods" or real-life weighty material? If so, what's their masses?

1. What is the purpose of a-Frame cranes?

A-Frame cranes are used to lift and move heavy objects, typically in construction or industrial settings. They are designed to provide stability and support for the load being lifted.

2. How do tensions, forces, and moments affect the operation of an A-Frame crane?

Tensions, forces, and moments are all important factors in determining the stability and safety of an A-Frame crane. Tensions refer to the pulling or stretching forces on the crane's cables or ropes, while forces refer to the overall push or pull on the crane. Moments, on the other hand, refer to the rotational forces acting on the crane. All of these must be carefully considered and balanced to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the crane.

3. What are the main components of an A-Frame crane?

The main components of an A-Frame crane include the frame itself, which is typically made of steel or another strong material, the boom, which is the arm that extends out from the frame and holds the load, and the cables or ropes that support and move the load. Other components may include a motor, pulleys, and a control system for operating the crane.

4. How are tensions, forces, and moments calculated for an A-Frame crane?

Tensions, forces, and moments can be calculated using various mathematical formulas and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and the principles of static equilibrium. These calculations take into account the weight and dimensions of the load, the length and angle of the boom, and the strength and stability of the crane's components.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when operating an A-Frame crane?

When operating an A-Frame crane, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and procedures. This may include wearing personal protective equipment, having a trained and experienced operator, performing regular maintenance and inspections, and adhering to weight limits and load capacity. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards in the surrounding area and to use caution when lifting and moving heavy loads.