Tensor Force Operator Between Nucleons: Spin & Position

In summary, the equation for the tensor force between 2 nucleons is S_{12}=6r^{2}-2S^{2}, where r is the distance between the nucleons and S is the spin operator.
kelly0303

Homework Statement

The tensor force operator between 2 nucleons is defined as ##S_{12}=3\sigma_1\cdot r\sigma_2\cdot r - \sigma_1\cdot \sigma_2##. Where r is the distance between the nucleons and ##\sigma_1##and ##\sigma_2## are the Pauli matrices acting on each of the 2 nucleons. Rewrite ##S_{12}## only in terms of the spin operator S and relative position r.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the second part of the equation I tried this. Using the fact that ##S=\sigma_1+\sigma_2## we have ##\sigma_1\sigma_2=(S^2-\sigma_1-\sigma_2)/2=(S^2-6)/2##. For the first part I was thinking to use this expression ##(\sigma\cdot a)(\sigma \cdot b) = a\cdot b + i(a\times b)\sigma## As in my case a and b are both r, the cross product would vanish and the first term would be just ##r^2##. But I am not sure if I can do that, as my ##\sigma## is not the same in both cases. Can someone tell me if I can use that formula or give me some hint or how to approach the first part of the equation? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
kelly0303 said:

Homework Statement

The tensor force operator between 2 nucleons is defined as ##S_{12}=3\sigma_1\cdot r\sigma_2\cdot r - \sigma_1\cdot \sigma_2##. Where r is the distance between the nucleons and ##\sigma_1##and ##\sigma_2## are the Pauli matrices acting on each of the 2 nucleons. Rewrite ##S_{12}## only in terms of the spin operator S and relative position r.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
For the second part of the equation I tried this. Using the fact that ##S=\sigma_1+\sigma_2## we have ##\sigma_1\sigma_2=(S^2-\sigma_1-\sigma_2)/2=(S^2-6)/2##. For the first part I was thinking to use this expression ##(\sigma\cdot a)(\sigma \cdot b) = a\cdot b + i(a\times b)\sigma## As in my case a and b are both r, the cross product would vanish and the first term would be just ##r^2##. But I am not sure if I can do that, as my ##\sigma## is not the same in both cases. Can someone tell me if I can use that formula or give me some hint or how to approach the first part of the equation? Thank you!
[tex]S = \frac{1}{2} (\sigma_{1} + \sigma_{2}) \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ S^{2} = \frac{1}{2} ( 3 + \sigma_{1} \cdot \sigma_{2} ) . \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex][tex]S \cdot r = \frac{1}{2} \left( ( \sigma_{1} \cdot r ) + ( \sigma_{2} \cdot r ) \right) \ \ \Rightarrow \ \ (S \cdot r)^{2} = \frac{1}{2} \left( r^{2} + ( \sigma_{1} \cdot r )(\sigma_{2} \cdot r ) \right) . \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] Substitute (1), (2) in [tex]S_{12} = \frac{3}{r^{2}} ( \sigma_{1} \cdot r )( \sigma_{2} \cdot r ) - \sigma_{1} \cdot \sigma_{2} ,[/tex] to find [tex]S_{12} = \frac{6}{r^{2}} ( S \cdot r )^{2} - 2S^{2} .[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is a tensor force operator?

A tensor force operator is a mathematical representation used in nuclear physics to describe the interactions between nucleons (protons and neutrons) within an atomic nucleus. It takes into account the spin and position of the nucleons, and can be used to calculate the binding energy and stability of a nucleus.

2. How does the tensor force operator affect the stability of a nucleus?

The tensor force operator plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a nucleus. It is responsible for the attractive force that holds nucleons together, but it also introduces repulsive forces between nucleons with certain spin and position combinations. These repulsive forces can destabilize a nucleus, leading to nuclear decay.

3. What is the difference between the tensor force operator and other nuclear force operators?

The tensor force operator is unique in that it takes into account the spin and position of the interacting nucleons, while other nuclear force operators only consider the position. This makes the tensor force operator a more accurate representation of the complex interactions between nucleons within a nucleus.

4. How is the tensor force operator calculated?

The tensor force operator is calculated using a combination of experimental data and theoretical models. It involves complex mathematical equations and requires advanced computational techniques. The resulting values are then used in nuclear structure calculations to predict the properties of nuclei.

5. What are the implications of studying the tensor force operator?

Studying the tensor force operator is important for understanding the behavior of nucleons within atomic nuclei. It can help us predict the stability and properties of different nuclei, and also has applications in fields such as nuclear energy and astrophysics. Additionally, further research on the tensor force operator may lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces that govern the universe.