Tensor indices (proving Lorentz covariance)

In summary, the student was trying to solve for the field derivative over old coordinates, but got stuck because he was thinking of the equation in terms of the Lagrangian density. Once he realized he was doing this, he was able to solve the problem.
VintageGuy

Homework Statement

[/B]
So, I need to show Lorentz covariance of a Proca field E-L equation, conceptually I have no problems with this, I just have to make one final step that I cannot really justify.

Homework Equations

"Proca" (quotation marks because of the minus next to the mass part, I saw on the internet there is also the plus convention) field is defined as:
[tex]{\cal L}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-\frac{1}{2}m^2V_{\mu}V^{\mu}[/tex]
where [itex]V_{\mu}[/itex] is the massive field, and [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] the appropriate analogy to the EM field tensor. This leads to E-L:
[tex]\partial^{\mu}F_{\mu\nu}-m^2V_{\nu}=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So when I transform the equation according to: [itex] V^{\mu}(x) \rightarrow V'^{\mu}(x')=\Lambda^{\mu}_{\,\, \nu}V^{\nu}(x) [/itex], everything turns out okay but this one part that looks like: [itex]-\partial^{\mu}\Lambda_{\nu}^{\,\, \alpha}\partial_{\alpha}V_{\mu}(x)[/itex], and fr the proof to be over I need it to look like:

[tex]-\partial^{\mu}\Lambda_{\nu}^{\,\, \alpha}\partial_{\alpha}V_{\mu}(x)=-\partial^{\mu}\partial_{\nu}V'_{\mu}(x')[/tex]

and I can't seem to wrap my head around it, there must me something I'm not seeing...

EDIT: initialy I transformed the derivatives as well, these are derivatives of the field over the "old" coordinates (x not x')

Physics news on Phys.org
VintageGuy said:
EDIT: initialy I transformed the derivatives as well, these are derivatives of the field over the "old" coordinates (x not x')
You should keep doing that. Otherwise your equations are expressed in some weird combination of frames.

Likes VintageGuy
Orodruin said:
You should keep doing that. Otherwise your equations are expressed in some weird combination of frames.

I just figured it out, for some reason I was approaching the equation as though it was the Lagrangian density... Thanks, solved.

1. What are tensor indices?

Tensor indices are numerical labels used to represent the components of a tensor. They are often denoted by subscripts or superscripts and indicate the position of a particular component within a tensor.

2. How do tensor indices relate to Lorentz covariance?

Lorentz covariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which describe the relationship between different reference frames. Tensor indices are used to prove Lorentz covariance by showing that the components of a tensor transform in a specific way under these transformations.

3. How are tensor indices used in tensor calculus?

In tensor calculus, tensor indices are used to denote the position of components within a tensor and to perform operations on tensors. This allows for the manipulation and transformation of tensors, which are crucial in many areas of physics and mathematics.

4. Can tensor indices be raised or lowered?

Yes, tensor indices can be raised or lowered using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool used to define the inner product of tensors. This process is known as index contraction and is essential in tensor calculus.

5. How do tensor indices differ from vector indices?

Tensor indices and vector indices are similar in that they both represent the components of mathematical objects. However, tensor indices are used to denote the components of tensors, which have more complex properties than vectors, such as multiple dimensions and transformation rules. Vector indices are typically used for one-dimensional vectors.