Tensor product and ultraproduct construction

In summary, the superficial resemblance between the tensor product and the ultraproduct definitions is that they are both completions, using a collection of sequences modulo an equivalence relation. The reason I am asking this is because I seem to recall a discussion about decoherence saying that the information from a state becomes entangled with its environment. But I'm not sure that I see an algebraic reason for the necessity of this entanglement.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I do not know if this is the proper rubric to ask this question, but I picked the one that seemed the most relevant.

I have noticed some superficial resemblance between the tensor product and the ultraproduct definitions. Does this resemblance go any further?

While I am on the subject of tensor products: when there is a physical interaction, is there necessarily entanglement involved, even for a short time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't heard of ultraproducts before and I am not sure whether you mean the same thing, that Wiki means by it.
If so I don't get the "superficial resemblance". Can you elaborate this in more detail?
And - still assuming coincidence - "Logic" might be the appropriate rubric.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, fresh_42. First, the very superficial resemblance goes as follows: tensor products are used for combining Hilbert spaces into a new Hilbert space. A Hilbert space can be viewed as (a theory of) a model. The Ultraproduct construction (yes, as in Wiki) is used to combine models into a new model. More along algebraic lines, the analogy is that both are completions, using a collection of sequences modulo an equivalence relation.

The reason I am keeping this question here is that I realize that my second question has a better chance of being answered than the first one, and is in fact of greater interest. I should have added that I meant physical interaction between two particles (yes, I know that "particle" is just an abbreviation for "a local excitation of a field"); in other words, if two particles interact, is the result at anyone point necessarily a state that cannot be reduced to the tensor product of two separate states? The reason I ask this is that I seem to recall (sorry, I do not have the reference -- I know that this is bad:sorry:) a discussion about decoherence saying that the information from a state becomes entangled with its environment. But I'm not sure that I see an algebraic reason for the necessity of this entanglement. This question would not go over well in the logic rubric.

1. What is the difference between tensor product and ultraproduct construction?

The tensor product and ultraproduct constructions are two different mathematical operations used in various branches of mathematics, such as algebra, topology, and logic. The tensor product is a binary operation on vector spaces, while the ultraproduct is a generalization of the Cartesian product of sets.

2. How is the tensor product calculated?

The tensor product of two vector spaces can be calculated by taking the Cartesian product of the two spaces and then modding out by the subspace generated by the bilinear relations. This generates a new vector space that is the tensor product of the two original spaces.

3. What is the significance of the tensor product in mathematics?

The tensor product is a crucial construction in mathematics, with various applications in different fields. It allows for the creation of new vector spaces with specialized properties, and it helps to simplify calculations in linear algebra, differential geometry, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is the ultraproduct construction used in logic?

In logic, the ultraproduct construction is used to create a new structure from a collection of existing structures. This construction is often used in model theory to prove the existence of models for large theories, as well as in non-standard analysis to create a hyperreal number system.

5. Is there a relationship between the tensor product and ultraproduct constructions?

Yes, there is a connection between the tensor product and ultraproduct constructions. In fact, the ultraproduct of a collection of vector spaces can be seen as a generalization of the tensor product of the same spaces. Additionally, both constructions have similar properties, such as being associative and distributive.