Terror Watch Along US Mexico Border

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary: I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the border is pretty heavily guarded. Canada has a zero-tolerance for terrorism and we have...I'm not sure if you're aware of this but the border is pretty heavily guarded.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The Department of Homeland Security has just issued a terror watch to law enforcement agencies in Texas. A Somali terrorist smuggler residing in Texas (how does that happen?) has been running a "large-scale smuggling operation" recently unsealed Federal court documents reveal. The http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/terror-alert-mexican-border/" states that, "Many of the illegal immigrants, who court records say were given fake IDs, are alleged to have ties to other now-defunct Somalian terror organizations that have merged with active organizations like Al Shabaab, al-Barakat and Al-Ittihad Al-Islami." The subject of the terror watch, a mister Mohamed Ali, is believed to be in Mexico and planning his trip north.

Janet Napolitano was unavailable for comment. Likely she's busy reading Arizona's SB 1070 so that she can speak about it intelligently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eh? Smuggling drugs or what?

Mohamed ali huh?

Last edited:
so now we've got about 200 Somali pirates on the mainland? what will they do, hijack freight trains with grenade launchers?

"A Somali terrorist smuggler residing in Texas" so I assume they're smuggling Somali terrorists?

magpies said:
Eh? Smuggling drugs or what?

Mohamed ali huh?

Smuggling terrorists from Somalia into the US via the Texas-Mexico border. The terrorists are associated with Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations in Somalia.

Yes, Mohamed Ali.

chemisttree said:
Smuggling terrorists from Somalia into the US via the Texas-Mexico border. The terrorists are associated with Al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations in Somalia.

From the Fox News article:
Many of the illegal immigrants, who court records say were given fake IDs, are alleged to have ties to other now-defunct Somalian terror organizations that have merged with active organizations like Al Shabaab, al-Barakat and Al-Ittihad Al-Islami.

In 2008, the U.S. government designated Al Shabaab a terrorist organization. Al Shabaab has said its priority is to impose Sharia, or Islamic law, on Somalia; the group has aligned itself with Al Qaeda and has made statements about its intent to harm the United States.

Illegal immigrant has ties to defunct Somali organizations. Defunct Somali organization has ties to Al Shabaab. Al Shabaab has ties to Al Qaeda. That's 3 degrees of separation from Al Qaeda.

I'm not saying these illegal immigrants are completely harmless, but I think the risks are being overblown here a bit.

Ygggdrasil said:
I'm not saying these illegal immigrants are completely harmless, but I think the risks are being overblown here a bit.
Well I know somebody who used to live next door to a general's mechanic who said there was a big risk.

chemisttree said:
The Department of Homeland Security has just issued a terror watch to law enforcement agencies in Texas. A Somali terrorist smuggler residing in Texas (how does that happen?) has been running a "large-scale smuggling operation" recently unsealed Federal court documents reveal. The http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/terror-alert-mexican-border/" states that, "Many of the illegal immigrants, who court records say were given fake IDs, are alleged to have ties to other now-defunct Somalian terror organizations that have merged with active organizations like Al Shabaab, al-Barakat and Al-Ittihad Al-Islami." The subject of the terror watch, a mister Mohamed Ali, is believed to be in Mexico and planning his trip north..

Why we never got control of the border after 911 is a complete mystery to me. This should have been one of the highest priorities. In my view, this is not only one of the biggest failures of the Bush adminstration [along with attacking the wrong country], but it made a joke of his war on terror. It esp made moot his rationale for trashing the Constitution.

Ever since 911, and long before, any would-be terrorist could just walk here.

Ivan Seeking said:
Why we never got control of the border after 911 is a complete mystery to me. This should have been one of the highest priorities. In my view, this is not only one of the biggest failures of the Bush adminstration [along with attacking the wrong country], but it made a joke of his war on terror.

hasn't been on Obama's agenda, either, 'til this.

We should start with the Canadian border first imo that is if we are really worried about terrorists.

magpies said:
We should start with the Canadian border first imo that is if we are really worried about terrorists.
So should we - remember 1812

Eh not really... I was more hinting at how it is easyer to get into Canada then mexico and also easyer to cross into the US from it.

magpies said:
Eh not really... I was more hinting at how it is easyer to get into Canada then mexico and also easyer to cross into the US from it.

But how easy is it to get into Canada and then get into the USA? After 9/11 Canada pretty much cracked down on terrorist activities, you may not have heard about it but one time it happened pretty much right down the street from me.

Canada has a zero-tolerance for terrorism and we have even passed laws regarding it, what can you say about Mexico? Do they even look into terrorist activities or care about the well being of their own country and their neighbours? No, to both, in my opinion.

This comment actually slightly offended me, I'm not going to lie.

EDIT: I don't even think what you said is factually true at all. You really think it's easier to get into Canada than Mexico? I'd like to see some evidence to support that assertion, cause you're not presenting this as your opinion, your stating it as a 'fact that your attempting to hint at', so prove it.

zomgwtf said:
You really think it's easier to get into Canada than Mexico?
From Afghanistan just cross into Pakistan then India, through the Himalayas into China, across Tibet, Mongolia , Russia, the Bearing straight and Alaska then it's easy to get into Canada.
From there only the eternal vigilance of the TSA will keep them out of Vermont ( http://www.wptz.com/news/22826310/detail.html )

Plus don't forget that some of the 911 hijackers flew into America passing over Canadian airspace - as the nice senator reminded us.

Ok your right I don't know for sure that it's easyer to get into the usa from Canada from iran or some place. But I did live in minnesota and my family/many friends would cross from minnesota into Canada for fishing ect often. Nobody at that time ever really checked anything besides if they had been drinking beer mby. And that's if you crossed at a place where a check point was set up...

Also I find it hard to believe that it's easyer to get on a ship from iran to mexico then it is to Canada but that's also just mostly a guess.

magpies said:
Ok your right I don't know for sure that it's easyer to get into the usa from Canada from iran or some place. But I did live in minnesota and my family/many friends would cross from minnesota into Canada for fishing ect often. Nobody at that time ever really checked anything besides if they had been drinking beer mby. And that's if you crossed at a place where a check point was set up...

Also I find it hard to believe that it's easyer to get on a ship from iran to mexico then it is to Canada but that's also just mostly a guess.

The US I believe has heavier security on the US-Mexico border than the US-Canadian border. I think that Canada is actually probably more concerned about the Canadian-US border than the US is, though I am not too sure about that. As far as entering the US goes I am fairly certain that it is easier from Canada than from Mexico though entering Canada in the first place is probably more difficult than entering Mexico.

I'v heard it's actually really easy to get into Canada even without papers. And that it is easy to get offical papers in Canada.

Does anyone listen to coasttocoast? They talk about this type of stuff about every other week it seems.

TheStatutoryApe said:
The US I believe has heavier security on the US-Mexico border than the US-Canadian border.
Somewhat! The US -Canada border is often difficult to find, that's why people keep getting arrested going for a pizza or picking up a frisbee.

I think that Canada is actually probably more concerned about the Canadian-US border than the US is
Generally guns, hard drugs, tobacco, booze going north - BC-Bud going south.
Of course it depends which politician on either side of the border you listen to that day.

As far as entering the US goes I am fairly certain that it is easier from Canada than from Mexico
True although a terrorist is a lot more likely to land at a major US airport with a false passport and a valid visa than be snowshoeing across a mountain border somewhere in Saskatchewan.

Ygggdrasil said:
Illegal immigrant has ties to defunct Somali organizations. Defunct Somali organization has ties to Al Shabaab.

Not exactly. Now defunct Somali organization merged with organizations like Al Shabaab.

Al Shabaab has ties to Al Qaeda.

Again, not exactly. Al Shabaab aligned itself with Al Qaeda and stated its intent to harm the US.

That's 3 degrees of separation from Al Qaeda.

Who cares how far up the food chain you must go to find a bona fide AQ operative?
A terrorist that goes to summer camp at Al Qaeda's farm is a dangerous terrorist regardless of some alleged 'tie' to the organization... whatever that might mean.

Possibly a pun on your part? The christmas pants bomber also had 'ties' to Al Qaeda. He learned, or almost learned, to make a bomb capable of killing hundreds. I don't want those responsible for stopping these people wasting their time calculating risk levels. I'd rather their hair was on fire and they overestimate the risk.

chemisttree said:
Who cares how far up the food chain you must go to find a bona fide AQ operative?...
is a dangerous terrorist regardless of some alleged 'tie' to the organization... whatever that might mean.
And an American president that campaigned alongside a long time IRA supporter and fundraiser is also a terrorist?

Entirely non sequitur. Did that president announce his intent to harm Britian?

1. What is the purpose of a terror watch along the US-Mexico border?

The purpose of a terror watch along the US-Mexico border is to monitor and prevent any potential threats or illegal activities related to terrorism. This includes tracking suspicious individuals and groups, identifying potential smuggling of weapons or materials, and collaborating with other agencies to ensure the safety and security of the border.

2. Who is responsible for conducting the terror watch along the US-Mexico border?

The Department of Homeland Security, specifically the US Customs and Border Protection agency, is responsible for conducting the terror watch along the US-Mexico border. This agency works closely with other law enforcement and intelligence agencies to gather and analyze information, and take necessary actions to prevent any terror-related activities.

3. How is the terror watch along the US-Mexico border different from regular border patrol operations?

The terror watch along the US-Mexico border is a specialized operation targeting specifically at preventing any potential threats related to terrorism. It involves advanced surveillance techniques, intelligence gathering, and collaboration with other agencies, in addition to regular border patrol duties such as monitoring border crossings and preventing illegal immigration.

4. What measures are in place to ensure the effectiveness of the terror watch along the US-Mexico border?

The terror watch along the US-Mexico border is a multi-layered approach that involves various strategies and technologies. These include physical barriers, surveillance technology, intelligence gathering and analysis, and partnerships with other agencies. Regular evaluations and adjustments are also made to improve the effectiveness of the watch.

5. How does the terror watch along the US-Mexico border impact border communities and residents?

The terror watch along the US-Mexico border aims to enhance the safety and security of border communities and residents. While it may cause some inconvenience due to increased security measures, it ultimately aims to protect these communities from potential terrorist activities. The watch also relies on community engagement and partnerships to gather information and prevent any threats, fostering a sense of collaboration and safety within these communities.

Back