Terrorism & WMD: How Worried Should We Be?

• News
  • Thread starter hammertime
  • Start date
In summary, there is concern about terrorists using WMD's against civilians and it is possible for them to obtain or build these weapons due to their education and access to Soviet-era suitcase nukes. There are also concerns about the ability of the intelligence community to protect us and the ease of making a dirty bomb. However, building a nuclear weapon requires advanced labs, knowledge, and expensive equipment, making it difficult for terrorists to obtain.
hammertime
How afraid should we be regarding terrorists using WMD's against innocent civilians? How likely is it that terrorists will use biological, chemical, or nuclear/radiological weapons against civilians? I've read that these guys are, by and large, educated in the relevant fields and can easily get their hands on or build their own WMD's. For example, I've read reports indicating that they can or already have gotten their hands on multiple Soviet-era suitcase nukes, and that they can get even larger ones if they wanted.

So how worried should we be? I mean, can we trust the intelligence community to protect us?

Physics news on Phys.org
hammertime said:
I mean, can we trust the intelligence community to protect us?
So long as they are limiting the size of toothpaste tubes we can carry and inpounding our Ipods at the airport we are safe.

They actually have very good detectors for radioactivity.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2004300343_danny23.html

But it's still pretty easy to make a dirty bomb. You can find instructions online.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't know yet you are naive or there is some thing wrong in this world terrorist can build nuclear weapons only if:
I) to build a nuclear weapon you need to have a cutting edg labs
II) you need some one who know how to build it

III) you need very expensive lab machine
no one will sell you radioactive material so you need your own nuclear reactor

So i am sorry to say this but you are naive ! so naive

I don't see how anything good can come of this thread.

Related to Terrorism & WMD: How Worried Should We Be?

1. What is the likelihood of a terrorist attack involving a weapon of mass destruction (WMD)?

The likelihood of a terrorist attack involving a WMD is relatively low. According to a study by the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START), only 0.4% of terrorist attacks between 1970 and 2017 involved WMDs.

2. Which countries are most at risk for a terrorist attack involving a WMD?

There is no specific country that is most at risk for a terrorist attack involving a WMD. However, countries that have a history of political instability and violence, as well as access to WMD materials, may be more vulnerable.

3. What types of WMDs are most commonly used in terrorist attacks?

The most commonly used WMDs in terrorist attacks are biological weapons, such as anthrax, and chemical weapons, such as sarin gas. These are easier for terrorists to obtain and use compared to nuclear weapons.

4. How do governments and organizations prevent terrorist attacks involving WMDs?

Governments and organizations use a variety of measures to prevent terrorist attacks involving WMDs, including intelligence gathering, border control, and monitoring of suspicious activities. They also work to prevent the acquisition and production of WMD materials by terrorists.

5. What should individuals do to protect themselves from a terrorist attack involving a WMD?

Individuals can take steps to protect themselves from a terrorist attack involving a WMD by being aware of their surroundings, following emergency response procedures, and reporting any suspicious activities to authorities. They can also stay informed about potential threats and be prepared with emergency supplies.