Tesla starts "full self-driving" beta test

In summary: Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of the test?It's not really about defeating the purpose, but more about reassuring the people who are testing the cars that they are doing so in a safe way. Ideally, the person in the car would not be paying attention to the road at all, but if they are then the light should provide a reminder.
So far it seems to be limited to very few participants. It is SAE level 2 ("hands off"): The car drives itself but a human needs to watch it and needs to be able to take over at any time. Normally the phrase "self-driving" is only used for SAE levels 4 and 5 (you can sleep in the car, or you don't have to be anywhere near the car).
Unlike Tesla's "autopilot" feature (largely for highways) this new feature works on all roads, including intersections and turns.

Apparently using customers as beta testers on roads is legal in the US (discussion), which - not surprisingly - lead to criticism.
Some people are enthusiastic
Here are some more driving videos

As far as I know this is the first level 2 system for all roads that's available to customers (Waymo has a limited taxi service in Phoenix, Arizona, which is level 4 within its area). It follows Tesla's previous strategy: Use the fleet to accumulate real-life driving data quickly. If the system is good they'll be able to demonstrate that soon. The threshold is the average human driver. If the system is not good, we'll also see this soon from accident reports...

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
I kind of feel like self-driving vehicles should have a notification light on somewhere, to let other drivers and pedestrians know that there may or may not be a person paying attention behind the wheel.

But Red is taken (Fire and EMS), Blue is taken (law enforcement), Yellow is taken (tow trucks, trash trucks and other non-emergency vehicles), leaving what? Any other color or strobing lights would likely be a distraction that would cause other accidents that did not have to happen.

Maybe purple?

Level 2 has always scared me. Somehow humans are necessary, but almost always they don't have to do anything. This is in direct conflict with how our brains work; it is nearly impossible for most people to pay attention when their actions don't matter.

When the inevitable crash occurs, which we've already seen multiple times at level 1, I hope the driver doesn't take all the blame. It isn't reasonable for companies and regulators to expect people to do things they usually can't do.

Likes russ_watters, Ibix, 2milehi and 2 others
Going from 2 to 3 is just a matter of error rate. If the error rate is below the rate of a human you might still want a human to pay attention (because the combination will make even fewer errors) but you don't need to have them.
Large training datasets can reduce that error rate, but if they come with accidents that's a problem of course. In the long run self-driving will certainly save many lives, but we generally don't accept killing some people to save more others later.

Likes DaveE
mfb said:
we generally don't accept killing some people to save more others later.
Yes, this is the giant unsolved problem with self-driving cars. People kill people with bad driving all the time, but I don't think computers are allowed to kill anyone, yet.

DaveE said:
but I don't think computers are allowed to kill anyone, yet.

Yep, that's a prerogative we keep to ourselves. At least as long as we ignore Tomahawks.

Likes DaveE
berkeman said:
I kind of feel like self-driving vehicles should have a notification light on somewhere, to let other drivers and pedestrians know that there may or may not be a person paying attention behind the wheel.

But Red is taken (Fire and EMS), Blue is taken (law enforcement), Yellow is taken (tow trucks, trash trucks and other non-emergency vehicles), leaving what? Any other color or strobing lights would likely be a distraction that would cause other accidents that did not have to happen.

Maybe purple?
I like green. :smile:

But seriously, what would it change on your behavior if you crossed a vehicle with such a light? How many will you come across without any incident happening before you do exactly as the "driver" and not pay attention?

It is like wishing for a signaling system telling us how many years of experience or how many infractions every driver we encounter has. Maybe a heart monitor to see if the driver is having a heart attack? I don't know now and can't see how helpful it would be if I knew. If the other vehicle is where it is expected, no problems. If it is not, I'm responsible for watching for it.

jack action said:
But seriously, what would it change on your behavior if you crossed a vehicle with such a light?
I think in a similar way to when I see a sign on a car that says "Student Driver". I definitely give such cars extra room, and avoid being in front of them...

berkeman said:
I think in a similar way to when I see a sign on a car that says "Student Driver". I definitely give such cars extra room, and avoid being in front of them...

Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of the test? All the data is going to say self driving cars are super safe, because no one will get within twenty feet of them.

• Informative
Likes jack action and berkeman
Office_Shredder said:
berkeman said:

Doesn't this kind of defeat the purpose of the test? All the data is going to say self driving cars are super safe, because no one will get within twenty feet of them.
And then I will put a self-driving sign on my car, and everybody will keep 20 ft away! Great!

• Haha
Likes DennisN and berkeman
https://www.wsj.com/articles/teslas...iving-not-all-that-hard-to-achieve-1426624848
Elon Musk, chief executive of Tesla Motors Inc. and Space Exploration Technologies Inc., says autonomous driving isn’t all that difficult to achieve.
“I view it as a solved problem. We know exactly what to do and we will be there in a few years,” Mr. Musk said at the Nvidia Corp. graphical processor conference in San Jose, Calif., on Tuesday.

https://news.yahoo.com/elon-musk-says-making-autonomous-154228504.html
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on Saturday that making a self-driving car was harder than he expected, after the company's timeline for its latest Full Self-Driving (FSD) software slipped again.

Self-driving was a "hard problem" that "requires solving a large part of real-world AI," Musk tweeted.

"Didn't expect it to be so hard, but the difficulty is obvious in retrospect," he said.

• Haha
Likes jack action
So has anyone yet dubbed this the "touring test"?...too easy

• Haha
Likes mfb, gmax137, Borg and 4 others
The "not so difficult" and "in a few years" statement was from 2015, while the "harder than expected" statement is from 2021.
The FSD beta test is some notable progress, at least. Will be interesting to see results from that.

What happens if a cop sees a self-driving car do something illegal and or dangerous? How do you stop a car that has run amok?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
How do you stop a car that has run amok?
That is not the question. The question is to whom do you give the ticket?

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
jack action said:
That is not the question. The question is to who do you give the ticket?
I'd be more worried about stopping the car first. If you give cops a way to disable a self-driving vehicle, no doubt other people will get this and probably stop and then steal the cars!

But then there is the next question: Does Tesla get the ticket?

Likes BillTre
jack action said:
to who do you give the ticket?
whom.

Oh, you meant the real police, not the grammar police.

• Haha
  • Informative
Likes mfb, pbuk, Bystander and 4 others
Vanadium 50 said:
whom.

Oh, you meant the real police, not the grammar police.
I wrote it this way at first! But I wasn't sure and tried the other version and the spell checker Grammarly - which is usually pretty good - did not give an error either way, so I stuck with the last one.

Another proof that we are far from AI destroying the world.

Likes Bystander and hutchphd
jack action said:
O, maybe these kind of errors are part of its plan!

Likes jack action
jack action said:
I wrote it this way at first! But I wasn't sure and tried the other version and the spell checker Grammarly - which is usually pretty good - did not give an error either way, so I stuck with the last one.

Who does it to whom.

• Informative
Likes jack action
It's past due for "whom" to be deprecated. Really, does it serve any useful purpose?
I decided several years ago that I just won't use it; Go ahead and correct me, I don't care.

OTOH, while I've never even been to Texas, I find myself enamored with "y'all". English is a living language and I feel some obligation for it's improvement.

DaveE said:
OTOH, while I've never even been to Texas, I find myself enamored with "y'all". English is a living language and I feel some obligation for it's improvement.

Who do you call if you live in Texas and need to move? Y'all Haul!

Everyone knows true American English is spoken in California. And there is a good reason for it. Movies and television were mostly made in Hollywood. As a result. California English became the standard language.

I was in Houston recently and was surprised at how few people have a Texas accent anymore. They all sound like Californians.

DaveE said:
Go ahead and correct me, I don't care.
Don't you mean "Go ahead and correct I?" Whenever someone makes a mistake like this, I always like to correct they. My wife does this too: the other day when I took she out for dinner the waiter asked if he should bring we some water. My wife was quick to correct he.

Or something.

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, Bystander and DaveE
A level 4 self-driving car will need to detect a police car stopping it.
People will figure out where the ticket goes. I could imagine the company offering self-driving to pay the tickets once they don't require a driver to pay attention any more. It's the logical place. It will be part of the cost of the system, of course.

If I remember correctly, I read a case where the driver was asleep and they stopped the car by getting in front of it and slowing to a stop.

Likes Ivan Seeking and berkeman
Borg said:
If I remember correctly, I read a case where the driver was asleep and they stopped the car by getting in front of it and slowing to a stop.
Of course that system could fail. Note the premise that the car is running wild.

Ivan Seeking said:
Of course that system could fail. Note the premise that the car is running wild.
You don't need a self-driven car to have a car "running wild". Any ordinary car can be "running wild" with the right (wrong?) driver. Police have been dealing with those for years.

PIT maneuver:

Tire deflation:

With straps:

• Love
Likes berkeman and Ivan Seeking
Very cool, I had not seen that Grappler before!

Likes Ivan Seeking
jack action said:
You don't need a self-driven car to have a car "running wild". Any ordinary car can be "running wild" with the right (wrong?) driver. Police have been dealing with those for years.

PIT maneuver:

Tire deflation:

With straps:

I like the Grappler! Great idea.

1. What is "full self-driving" beta test?

"Full self-driving" beta test is a software update for Tesla vehicles that allows them to navigate and drive themselves without any human intervention.

2. How does the full self-driving beta test work?

The full self-driving beta test works by using a combination of cameras, sensors, and advanced algorithms to analyze and interpret the vehicle's surroundings and make decisions on how to navigate and drive safely.

3. Is the full self-driving beta test safe?

While Tesla claims that the full self-driving beta test is safe, it is important to note that it is still in the beta testing phase and has not been fully tested and approved for public use. It is always recommended to stay attentive and ready to take control of the vehicle when using this feature.

4. Can all Tesla vehicles use the full self-driving beta test?

No, not all Tesla vehicles are equipped with the necessary hardware and software to support the full self-driving beta test. Only Tesla vehicles with the "Full Self-Driving" option and Autopilot Hardware 3.0 or newer are eligible for this feature.

5. Can I legally use the full self-driving beta test on public roads?

The legality of using the full self-driving beta test on public roads varies by country and state. In most cases, it is required to have a licensed driver behind the wheel and ready to take control of the vehicle at all times. It is important to check with your local laws and regulations before using this feature on public roads.