Tesla Tower Transmission Question

In summary, Tesla was able to generate massive amplification by using quarter waves within the secondary coils (of the Tesla coil). He was also investigating other advanced uses for quarter waves that may have been over looked by the scientific community.
forex10
Several weeks ago I viewed a PBS program on Tesla - which is always interesting, & I learn new information every time I read or view a program about Tesla. Here is a question that is some what of a mystery - was Tesla trying to transmit power through the ionosphere, the regular (lower) atmosphere, or through the ground? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla

You won't find much interest in Tesla here on PF. There is too much hyperbole and misinformation about his story, much of it about the wireless power transmission you asked about. What a shame, because Tesla did so many other sound engineering things.

Likes russ_watters, m4r35n357, berkeman and 1 other person
forex10 said:
Several weeks ago I viewed a PBS program on Tesla - which is always interesting, & I learn new information every time I read or view a program about Tesla. Here is a question that is some what of a mystery - was Tesla trying to transmit power through the ionosphere, the regular (lower) atmosphere, or through the ground? Thanks in advance for any replies.
I tend to believe the lower atmosphere, based on his patents and the things he built. The following link shows the conditions of atmospheric voltage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_electricity

through atmosphere using ground for return

I always obtain such good responses when I post questions on the forums. So to further expand the discussion I had learned that Tesla had generated massive amplification by using quarter (sine?) waves within the secondary coils (of the Tesla coil). Why is this? How could something as mundane as a quarter wave form be so remarkable? I guess today we could do the same thing with transistors, but what he did was still quite amazing & it is too bad that we could not have made use of it at the time.

I am examining other advanced uses for quarter waves that may have been over looked by the scientific community.

You should not mix Tesla coils and Tesla power tower in the same discussion.

Tesla coils are widely available and often used. The power tower was an impossible dream.

1. What is a Tesla Tower Transmission?

A Tesla Tower Transmission is a proposed method of wireless energy transfer, originally developed by Nikola Tesla. It involves using a large tower to transmit electricity through the Earth's atmosphere, using the principles of electromagnetic induction.

2. How does a Tesla Tower Transmission work?

A Tesla Tower Transmission works by creating a high voltage and high frequency electrical current at the base of the tower. This current creates an oscillating electric field that ionizes the air around the tower. The ionized air then conducts the electricity, allowing it to be transmitted wirelessly to a receiving device.

3. What are the potential benefits of a Tesla Tower Transmission?

The potential benefits of a Tesla Tower Transmission include the ability to transmit electricity over long distances without the need for wires, reducing the cost and environmental impact of traditional power transmission methods. It could also potentially provide a more efficient and reliable way to transmit electricity to remote or hard-to-reach areas.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to a Tesla Tower Transmission?

One potential drawback of a Tesla Tower Transmission is the safety concern of transmitting high voltage electricity through the Earth's atmosphere. There are also concerns about the potential interference with radio communications and the potential environmental impact of the ionized air. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and would require significant investment and infrastructure to be implemented on a large scale.

5. Is a Tesla Tower Transmission currently being used?

No, a Tesla Tower Transmission is not currently being used on a large scale. While some small-scale experiments have been conducted, the technology is still in its early stages and has yet to be proven as a viable method of wireless energy transfer. However, there is ongoing research and development in this area, and it is possible that we may see a Tesla Tower Transmission being used in the future.