Testing String Theory: Exploring the Possibilities

In summary, string theory proposes that an indefinite amount of invisible "strings" vibrating at various frequencies create the sub-atomic particles that make up our world. It may be possible to test this theory by using sound that can be physically felt, but this raises questions about the need for vibration and the role of dark matter. However, it is unlikely that we will be able to directly observe strings due to the small scale and limitations of our instruments. Additionally, string theory still applies in a vacuum and it is possible that dark matter is composed of strings. The suggested experiment does not aim to directly detect strings, but rather to observe the effects of vibrations in a vacuum. Ultimately, it may not be possible to observe strings directly, but they are fundamental
Alex Foyeur
String Theory is basically the idea involving an indefinite amount of invisible "strings" vibrating at a large spectrum of frequencies, thus creating sub-atomic particles that compose everything we experience and ourselves. It would make sense if you could test this theory by creating something with sound that can be felt (i.e. a wall of sound that can be physically felt). But with string theory would something need to vibrate? Without oxygen which vibrates for sound, would string theory apply in a vacuum? Can we attribute that vibration to dark matter? These strings would have to tear themselves apart to create anything (conservation of mass taken into account, of course), unless they were moving dark matter. Then that leaves the question of dark matter. I'm curious to know if the data CERN collected with its Hadron Collider will be able answer anything on dark matter. Give me your opinions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Foyeur said:
String Theory is basically the idea involving an indefinite amount of invisible "strings" vibrating at a large spectrum of frequencies, thus creating sub-atomic particles that compose everything we experience and ourselves. It would make sense if you could test this theory by creating something with sound that can be felt (i.e. a wall of sound that can be physically felt). But with string theory would something need to vibrate? Without oxygen which vibrates for sound, would string theory apply in a vacuum? Can we attribute that vibration to dark matter? These strings would have to tear themselves apart to create anything (conservation of mass taken into account, of course), unless they were moving dark matter. Then that leaves the question of dark matter. I'm curious to know if the data CERN collected with its Hadron Collider will be able answer anything on dark matter. Give me your opinions.

Is it feasible that we can observe strings due to their vibrational qualities? I think this is what you're trying to ask.

In any case, CERN will never directly observe strings, the energy levels (distances) that string theory becomes observable at is far larger then what energies we're looking at with certain. I'm talking about around 18 orders of magnitude smaller.

"Sound" is a longitudinal wave that consists of the transport of energy due to the compression and contraction of groups of air molecules (oscillation). This won't be an observational pursuit for many reasons:

1. A string cannot vibrate anything to create sound since there is "nothing" around it
2. The energy of the strings vibration is far to small to constitute any classical effects.
3. Our instruments aren't precise enough to observe the stringy characteristics of particles.
4. Touching on the above point, the quantized energy of a string is discrete and very small. It would hardly be noticable in comparison to the mess of anti-pair annihilations occurring in the vacuum.

Yes, string theory still holds in the vacuum since the dynamics of it's vibration are governed by basic principles i.e [itex]\alpha'[/itex] (the string tension).

In principle, the dark matter we observe must also be strings.

Or in other words, strings are to sound like what protons and electrons are to tidal waves. There at the fundamental level, but completely irrelevant for all practical purposes.

The experiment suggested did not imply detecting strings directly, but to see if using vibrations in a vacuum can be Physically detected.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) by describing them as vibrations of tiny, one-dimensional strings.

2. How is string theory tested?

String theory cannot currently be tested directly because the energy required to observe the strings is beyond our current technological capabilities. However, scientists use mathematical models and experiments to make predictions based on string theory and test them against existing data.

3. What are the implications of string theory?

String theory has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to a unified theory of everything. It also proposes the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions we experience.

4. What evidence supports string theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for string theory. However, it is supported by mathematical consistency and its ability to provide solutions to some long-standing problems in physics, such as the unification of forces and the existence of gravity.

5. What are the challenges in testing string theory?

The main challenges in testing string theory are the lack of technology to observe strings directly and the complexity of the mathematical models. Additionally, string theory is still a developing theory and has not yet been fully integrated into the existing framework of physics, making it difficult to test against existing data.