Tethered float radiometer

• Thread starter bobred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Float
In summary, the equation relates the change in depth of the float to the change in force on it from the weight of the chains.
bobred

Homework Statement

There is a submerged float which is held in equilibrium by three hanging chains (see attached), a portion of the chain hangs below the float. Ultrasound directed onto the top face of the float (which is concave with angle α) and the float is displaced downward proportional to the ultrasound power. Find the power as a function of displacement.

Homework Equations

Power [itex]W=\frac{Fc}{2\cos^2\alpha}[/itex]

Where F is the force and c is the speed of sound in water

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to relate the distance of the float displacement to the Force.
As it is displaced the weight of the chain decreases. Linear density is mass over length, I know the length of the chains and their masses, all the same.
How do I work out the loss of weight?

Attachments

• float.png
    float.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 357
Physics news on Phys.org
bobred said:

Homework Statement

There is a submerged float which is held in equilibrium by three hanging chains (see attached), a portion of the chain hangs below the float. Ultrasound directed onto the top face of the float (which is concave with angle α) and the float is displaced downward proportional to the ultrasound power. Find the power as a function of displacement.

Homework Equations

Power [itex]W=\frac{Fc}{2\cos^2\alpha}[/itex]

Where F is the force and c is the speed of sound in water

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to relate the distance of the float displacement to the Force.
As it is displaced the weight of the chain decreases. Linear density is mass over length, I know the length of the chains and their masses, all the same.
How do I work out the loss of weight?
The whole set up, and the quoted relevant equation, appear to relate to some relatively obscure branch of physics. Most people on this forum would, like me, have no idea about the application of that equation.

But maybe that's not what you are asking. Are you just asking how to relate the change in depth of the float to the change of force on it from the weight of the chains?
If so, I suggest you approximate each chain as two vertical sections joined by a U-shaped portion of constant size. Otherwise, you can look up 'catenary'.

Likes bobred
Hi, yes I'm asking how to relate the change in depth of the float to the change of force on it from the weight of the chains.

bobred said:
Hi, yes I'm asking how to relate the change in depth of the float to the change of force on it from the weight of the chains.
Did you understand my suggestion?

Looking into it now thanks.

1. What is a tethered float radiometer?

A tethered float radiometer is a device used to measure the amount of solar radiation absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere. It consists of a float that is tethered to a buoy and contains sensors to measure different wavelengths of radiation.

2. How does a tethered float radiometer work?

The tethered float radiometer works by using sensors to measure the amount of solar radiation absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere. The float is tethered to a buoy which keeps it at a fixed position in the ocean. The sensors measure the radiation at different depths and transmit the data back to a receiving station on land.

3. What are the advantages of using a tethered float radiometer?

One of the main advantages of using a tethered float radiometer is its ability to measure solar radiation at different depths. This allows for a more accurate understanding of how radiation is absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, the buoy can withstand harsh ocean conditions and the data can be transmitted in real-time.

4. How is a tethered float radiometer used in scientific research?

Tethered float radiometers are used in a variety of scientific research, particularly in atmospheric and oceanic studies. By measuring the amount of solar radiation absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere, scientists can better understand the Earth's energy balance and climate patterns. They can also be used to monitor changes in radiation over time, such as due to human activities or natural phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to using a tethered float radiometer?

One limitation of using a tethered float radiometer is that it can only measure solar radiation at specific locations in the ocean. This means that the data collected may not be representative of larger areas. Additionally, the float may be affected by ocean currents, which could impact the accuracy of the measurements. However, advancements in technology have helped to minimize these limitations.