Text alignment in Scientific Workplace

In summary, Microsoft Word allows for a certain margin size to be set, while Scientific Workplace does not. It is possible to use two-column layout in Scientific Workplace, but not all packages support it.
PainterGuy
Hi,

I'm having two serious issues with writing a document in Scientific Workplace.

In Microsoft Word one can choose a paper size such as 'Letter' and Word would restrict the written sentences within the defined margins. Is it possible to do in Scientific Workplace?

Is it possible to use two-column layout in Scientific Workplace?

I believe that @Dr.D is one of the persons who could help me with this. I hope it comes to @Dr.D 's attention.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
PainterGuy said:
I'm having two serious issues with writing a document in Scientific Workplace.

In Microsoft Word one can choose a paper size such as 'Letter' and Word would restrict the written sentences within the defined margins. Is it possible to do in Scientific Workplace?

Is it possible to use two-column layout in Scientific Workplace?
What version of Scientific Workplace are you using?

Margins in Scientitific Worplace can be easily user-set starting with version 6.0. I don't think that magins can be set easily in earlier versions. All versions have some styles that support two columns.

Likes PainterGuy
I used to have SW 6.0 but now using 5.5. Will try to get 6.0 version. Could you please elaborate more on how to do two-column layout?

PainterGuy said:
I used to have SW 6.0 but now using 5.5. Will try to get 6.0 version. Could you please elaborate more on how to do two-column layout?
What package are you using? I do not think that all packages support two columns, but some packages do. An example follows.

Click on "File". Click on "New..." Under "Shell Directories", click on "Articles". Under "Shell Files", clock on "Jeep - A General Purpose Vehicle". Click on "OK". Click on "Typeset" (top row of commands}. Click on "Options and Packages..." Click on "Class Options". Click on "Modify". Click on "Columns". Click on "Two Columns". Click on "OK". You will only see two columns when you preview/produce output.

Starting with Click on Typeset, you can try this with any package that you use, but there will not always be a Two Columns option.

Even though they are more flexible in terms of layout, I do not like versions 6.x; I prefer 5.5.

Likes PainterGuy
George Jones said:
You will only see two columns when you preview/produce output.
So, it's not like MS Word where as your text gets arranged in two columns as you type as show below.

1640191488621.png

George Jones said:
Even though they are more flexible in terms of layout, I do not like versions 6.x; I prefer 5.5.

I did try SW 6 for some time but didn't use it enough as I was more comfortable with SW 5.5 as a result of using for years. It was just a matter of comfort and habit that I didn't switch to SW 6. If you don't mind, could you please let me know what you didn't like about SW 6.? To me, layout is becoming important now and I would like something with easier layout configuration. Thank you for the help and time!

What is text alignment in Scientific Workplace?

Text alignment in Scientific Workplace refers to the way in which text is positioned and formatted within a document. It includes features such as left, right, center, and justified alignment, as well as indentation and line spacing.

How do I change the text alignment in Scientific Workplace?

To change the text alignment in Scientific Workplace, select the text you want to modify and click on the "Paragraph" tab. From there, you can choose the desired alignment option from the drop-down menu. You can also use keyboard shortcuts, such as Ctrl + L for left alignment, Ctrl + R for right alignment, and Ctrl + J for justified alignment.

Why is text alignment important in scientific documents?

Text alignment is important in scientific documents because it helps to improve the readability and organization of information. Proper alignment makes the document visually appealing and easier for readers to follow, which is essential in conveying complex scientific concepts and data.

Can I customize the text alignment in Scientific Workplace?

Yes, you can customize the text alignment in Scientific Workplace by selecting the "Custom" option from the alignment drop-down menu. This allows you to set specific values for indentation, spacing, and alignment for a more precise layout.

What is the difference between left and right alignment in Scientific Workplace?

The main difference between left and right alignment in Scientific Workplace is the direction in which the text is aligned. Left alignment is commonly used for the body of text, where the text is aligned along the left margin, while right alignment is often used for headings and titles, where the text is aligned along the right margin.