The 6th Spectral Series: Wavelength & EM Spectrum

In summary: No, they may have some historical significance, or usefulness in some context, such as the Balmer series having visible range. But in terms of the physics, there's nothing significant or interesting.
Sahar ali
we know the five spectral series of Lyman, Balmer, Paschen, bracket, and Pfund their wavelength and also the part of EM spectrum they fall in, my question is why do we neglect the 6th series in the spectrum? and in what part of EM spectrum the 6th series exist and what could be its wavelength (λi and λf)?

Physics news on Phys.org
kuruman said:
thank you
i read the info given the link you shared but still did not get the answer that why this
Humphreys series the 6th series is neglected why it's not included in the textbooks?

I can't speak for the authors of the textbooks, but my guess is that they didn't think that this series is important enough to be mentioned probably because the lines are rare and hard to detect. You have to understand that a textbook cannot include everything and that authors have to exercise good judgment and exclude items that according to their opinion are peripheral.

Sahar ali said:
thank you
i read the info given the link you shared but still did not get the answer that why this
Humphreys series the 6th series is neglected why it's not included in the textbooks?

What would be the reason, pedagogically, to include that in textbooks? Is the physics not clear enough using those series that were covered already?

Your textbooks neglect A LOT of other examples. I can rattle various forms of "photoelectric effect" that most, if not all, undergraduate textbooks omit. These books are meant to introduce you to the physics. They are NOT meant to make you experts in those areas.

Zz.

Likes vanhees71 and Sahar ali
ZapperZ said:
What would be the reason, pedagogically, to include that in textbooks? Is the physics not clear enough using those series that were covered already?

Your textbooks neglect A LOT of other examples. I can rattle various forms of "photoelectric effect" that most, if not all, undergraduate textbooks omit. These books are meant to introduce you to the physics. They are NOT meant to make you experts in those areas.

Zz.
/
I got your point, can you please tell me in which region of the spectrum does it fall? do we use the same empirical formula to calculate its wavelength(λi and λf)?

Sahar ali said:
/
I got your point, can you please tell me in which region of the spectrum does it fall? do we use the same empirical formula to calculate its wavelength(λi and λf)?

Yes, because if you look at the formula, it didn't say "Do not use this for this range", did it?

This is why I asked why you needed to learn about more of the series, since the physics can already be understood using the few that are usually covered. If there is new physics here that is relevant to understanding the topic at this level, then it would have been covered.

Zz.

Likes Sahar ali
ZapperZ said:
Yes, because if you look at the formula, it didn't say "Do not use this for this range", did it?

This is why I asked why you needed to learn more about the series since the physics can already be understood using the few that are usually covered. If there is new physics here that is relevant to understanding the topic at this level, then it would have been covered.

Zz.
I wonder if there is another way to calculate wavelengths.
actually, this question was asked by our teacher during lecture.and I was not sure about my answer so I asked here in the forum

Sahar ali said:
why this Humphreys series the 6th series is neglected why it's not included in the textbooks?

If 6 series were included, the question is "Why not 7?" There's an infinite number - when should we stop?

Likes Sahar ali and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
If 6 series were included, the question is "Why not 7?" There's an infinite number - when should we stop?
each series have its own importance, does not it? if not then why peoples worked on and discovered more series 6 and onward. ?? :confused:

So how many should we list? Ten? A hundred? A million?

Likes Sahar ali
Sahar ali said:
each series have its own importance, does not it? if not then why peoples worked on and discovered more series 6 and onward. ?? :confused:

No, they may have some historical significance, or usefulness in some context, such as the Balmer series having visible range. But in terms of the physics, there's nothing significant or interesting.

Again, I asked for a pedagogical reason for wanting all these series being covered in a textbook. You have only claim that they are there and they must have "its own importance", but you never gave any specific reason for needing them as far as this being part of a lesson. Those are not valid reasons to include them in a textbook.

Zz.

Likes Sahar ali

Related to The 6th Spectral Series: Wavelength & EM Spectrum

1. What exactly is the 6th spectral series and how is it different from other series?

The 6th spectral series refers to a set of spectral lines that appear in the emission or absorption spectra of atoms. These lines are created when electrons in an atom transition from a higher energy level to the 6th energy level. This series is unique because it is the only series that involves the 6th energy level, whereas other series involve different energy levels.

2. How is wavelength related to the 6th spectral series?

Wavelength is directly related to the 6th spectral series because each spectral line in the series corresponds to a specific wavelength of electromagnetic radiation. The wavelength of the spectral lines in this series increases as the energy level decreases, with the longest wavelength corresponding to the transition to the 6th energy level.

3. What is the electromagnetic (EM) spectrum and how does it relate to the 6th spectral series?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. The 6th spectral series is a part of this spectrum, specifically in the visible light region. It is located between the 5th and 7th series, which correspond to shorter and longer wavelengths, respectively.

4. Can the 6th spectral series be observed in all types of atoms?

No, the 6th spectral series can only be observed in atoms that have energy levels high enough to allow electrons to transition to the 6th energy level. This includes elements such as hydrogen, helium, and neon. Other elements may have their own unique spectral series based on their energy levels.

5. How is the 6th spectral series useful in scientific research?

The 6th spectral series is useful in identifying elements and studying their energy levels. By analyzing the wavelengths of the spectral lines, scientists can determine the composition of a substance and gain insight into its atomic structure and behavior. This series is also important in fields such as astronomy, where it is used to study the composition of stars and other celestial bodies.