The applied and friction forces of a particle

In summary, a particle slides along a straight wire in a horizontal plane. The coefficient of dynamic friction is u=0.6. The equation of the line of the wire is y=3√x. At time t=3s, the particle is at A. The acceleration is produced by an applied force P acting parallel to the X-axis.
Edd988

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 14kg, slides along a straight wire in a horizontal plane. The coefficient of dynamic friction u=0.6 The equation of the line of the wire is y=3√x so that the angle between the wire and the X-axis is 60 degrees.

The particle accelerates with a constant acceleration whose magnitude is a=2 At time t=3s the particle is at A. The acceleration is produced by an applied force P acting parallel to the X-axis.

(b) Show that the magnitude of P is P = 220.8 Newtons

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=UR (U is coefficient of dynamic friction and R is R=mgcos(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

P-F=ma
F=UR
P=ma + F
F=0.6*mgcos(theta) = 41.202
P=14*2 + 41.202
P=69.202
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
A few problems there.
P and a are not in the same direction, so P-F=ma is wrong.
The wire is horizontal, so mg cos(theta) is wrong.
What are all the forces on the particle, and in what directions do they act?

The normal force acts perpendicular to the wire, the gravity force acts downward to the particle, the applied force will push the particle, and the friction force will act in the opposite way.
I though the plane was horizontal and the angle between the wire and the plane is 60 degree?

Edd988 said:
The normal force acts perpendicular to the wire, the gravity force acts downward to the particle, the applied force will push the particle, and the friction force will act in the opposite way.
I though the plane was horizontal and the angle between the wire and the plane is 60 degree?

The wire is also horizontal, it makes 60 degree angle with the x axis.

I guess, the wire is at 60 degree from horizontal.

Edd988 said:
The normal force acts perpendicular to the wire
Right, but that leaves a range of possibilities for the direction.
Edd988 said:
the applied force will push the particle
Yes, but in which direction does P act in relation to (a) the horizontal plane and (b) the x-axis (c) the wire?
Edd988 said:
friction force will act in the opposite way
Opposite to what exactly? I.e., which direction is the force of friction in relation to (a) the horizontal plane and (b) the x-axis (c) the wire?

jatin9953 said:
I guess, the wire is at 60 degree from horizontal.
That's not what it says:
Edd988 said:
along a straight wire in a horizontal plane

I tried it, with conservation of energy and got the answer close to 208N

jatin9953 said:
I tried it, with conservation of energy and got the answer close to 208N
I get a rather larger result. The tricky part is calculating the normal force correctly.

The result given in the problem is obtained if friction exist between the ground and the object only. The object slides along the wire, on the ground.

ehild said:
The result given in the problem is obtained if friction exist between the ground and the object only. The object slides along the wire, on the ground.
Hmm... there's nothing in the OP about a ground, and it sounds like the friction is between particle and wire. Edd, have you stated the problem exactly as given to you?

1. What is the difference between applied and friction forces?

Applied force is a force that is exerted on an object by a person or another object, while friction force is a force that resists the motion of an object due to contact with another surface.

2. How do applied and friction forces affect the motion of a particle?

Applied forces can either increase or decrease the speed of a particle, while friction forces always oppose the motion of a particle, causing it to slow down.

3. Can applied and friction forces cancel each other out?

Yes, if an applied force is equal and opposite to the friction force, they will cancel each other out and the particle will remain at a constant speed.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of an applied or friction force?

The magnitude of an applied force can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The magnitude of a friction force can be calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force.

5. How can the direction of an applied or friction force be determined?

The direction of an applied force is determined by the direction in which it is exerted, while the direction of a friction force is always opposite to the direction of motion of the particle.