"The art of problem solving" textbook series

In summary: I want to make my algebra stronger sorry strongest, so I want any book from basic too great advance and I think aops
parshyaa
  • I am a 12th grade student. I am new to this series and i know that these are great books. i am going to buy 3 books.
  • the basics , introduction to algebra, introduction to geometry
  • is it necessary to buy solution manual.
  • is it ok to buy these three books for the beginners
  • what about concept content of these books.

Likes MathWA
Physics news on Phys.org
I done these books before. I recommend going in order because these books get harder and harder. I think what you have is in order.
It is necessary to buy the solution manual. The concept of these books is teaching the basics then going to the competition level like MathCounts or AMC.

MathWA said:
I done these books before. I recommend going in order because these books get harder and harder. I think what you have is in order.
It is necessary to buy the solution manual. The concept of these books is teaching the basics then going to the competition level like MathCounts or AMC.
What about delivery in India , I am planning to order aops books along with solution manual from aops site , is it possible to order it from india.

Likes MathWA
I think it is possible.

Woooohoooo , thanks
MathWA said:
I think it is possible.

Your welcome.

I think it would be more beneficial to get rigorous books on the subjects you want to learn. Ie, for geometry start with Moise, then Planemetry and Stereometry, both of these books are by Kisselev.

For Trig. Learn it from a textbook aimed at college students supplemented with Gelfand. Then move onto Loney.

MidgetDwarf said:
I think it would be more beneficial to get rigorous books on the subjects you want to learn. Ie, for geometry start with Moise, then Planemetry and Stereometry, both of these books are by Kisselev.

For Trig. Learn it from a textbook aimed at college students supplemented with Gelfand. Then move onto Loney.
i have finished sl loney, euclids elements , i need a advance knowledge of algebra , therefore i was thinking of aops algebra textbook both introduction and intermediate

Do you mean finished by: doing every problem, understanding the big picture, and being able to prove on your own every theorem without looking?

No solution manuals, ever.

MidgetDwarf said:
Do you mean finished by: doing every problem, understanding the big picture, and being able to prove on your own every theorem without looking?
yes , i have finished sl loney 3 times and problem also, i am reading euclids element again

parshyaa said:
i have finished sl loney, euclids elements , i need a advance knowledge of algebra , therefore i was thinking of aops algebra textbook both introduction and intermediate

Are you really interested in competitions? If you are, then the aops books are great. If you're not, then there are many better books that you can go through.

I want to make my algebra stronger sorry strongest, so I want any book from basic too great advance and I think aops algebra will be good
micromass said:
Are you really interested in competitions? If you are, then the aops books are great. If you're not, then there are many better books that you can go through.

1. What is the main focus of "The Art of Problem Solving" textbook series?

The main focus of "The Art of Problem Solving" textbook series is to help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills through challenging and engaging math problems.

2. What age group is the "The Art of Problem Solving" textbook series designed for?

The series is designed for students in grades 5-12, although some books may be suitable for advanced students in lower grades.

3. Are there any online resources or support available for "The Art of Problem Solving" textbook series?

Yes, the official website for the series offers online classes, videos, and forums where students can discuss and receive help with the problems in the textbooks.

4. How does "The Art of Problem Solving" textbook series differ from traditional math textbooks?

The series focuses on problem-solving strategies and techniques rather than just teaching rote procedures. It also includes challenging problems that require creative thinking and multiple approaches, rather than just standard practice problems.

5. Can "The Art of Problem Solving" textbook series be used for homeschooling or self-study?

Yes, the textbooks are designed for both classroom use and self-study. The online resources and support make it a great option for homeschooling families or self-motivated students.