The Best Textbook for a Good Understanding of Mathematics

In summary, the individual is looking for an up-to-date mathematics textbook to bridge the gap between high school and university maths, with a focus on physics. They have a high school education in mathematics and have taken basic calculus, but are looking for a book that covers all necessary topics for 1st-2nd year university level studies. The Mary Boas book and Arfken's book are recommended by other users.
CRNS
Hi all,

I'm new here and have been studying Physics in my spare time for a couple of years now, but I always just seem to get by in the area of mathematics. Forgive me if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist or on the other hand is very easy to find as I'm not familiar with any of the current textbooks and what is good at the moment.

What I'm looking for is (with a view to be starting a university course in mathematics and physics quite soon) an up to date mathematics textbook that will cover all the topics that are required for 1st-2nd year university level studies and bridge the gap between high school maths and university maths. Preferably one that is geared towards physics as well.

I have a high school education in mathematics with some things I've picked up over my time doing physics but what I need is a book that lays it all out in front of me so I can work through all the topics I should know for that level at university.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Greg,

Sorry I should have mentioned yeah I did basic calculus in high school, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the US but I got A+ in A level maths in the UK but never took it further.

Cheers

I second the Boas book. At a more advanced level Arfken's book is also used.

1. What makes a textbook the best for understanding mathematics?

The best textbook for understanding mathematics should have a clear and logical structure, comprehensive coverage of topics, and plenty of examples and practice problems for students to apply their knowledge. It should also have clear explanations and visuals to help students grasp concepts.

2. How do I choose the right textbook for my level of understanding?

Choosing the right textbook depends on your current level of understanding. Look for a textbook that is aligned with your curriculum and has a level of difficulty that matches your current understanding. You can also ask for recommendations from your teacher or peers.

3. Are there any specific features that I should look for in a good mathematics textbook?

Yes, a good mathematics textbook should have step-by-step explanations, practice problems with solutions, and real-world applications of concepts. It should also have interactive elements such as online resources or practice quizzes.

4. How can a textbook help me develop my critical thinking skills in mathematics?

A good mathematics textbook should not only focus on teaching formulas and equations, but also on developing critical thinking skills. Look for a textbook that includes challenging problems that require creative thinking and problem-solving strategies.

5. Can digital textbooks be just as effective as traditional print textbooks?

Yes, digital textbooks can be just as effective as traditional print textbooks. In fact, they offer additional features such as interactive elements, multimedia resources, and the ability to access them anytime and anywhere. However, some students may still prefer the tactile experience of using a print textbook.