The best way to liquefy Ammonia

• Thread starter pranj5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ammonia
In summary, the conversation discusses the best and most energy efficient way to liquefy Ammonia vapour at atmospheric pressure and very close to its boiling point of -33°C. Pressurization and expansion methods are mentioned, as well as using a vacuum flask for insulation and a peltier module for cooling. The Linde's and Claude's processes are suggested, along with searching for industrial refrigeration units that use Ammonia as the refrigerant.
pranj5
Suppose, there is an amount of Ammonia vapour at atmospheric pressure and very very close to the boiling point say at -33°C. I want to know what's the best way to liquefy the Ammonia in terms of economy and energy. I know that it can be liquefied with cold fluids like liquid Nitrogen etc., but what's the most economic way?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pressurization.
You increase the gass pressure, at which point gas temperature also rizes - and hence keeps NH3 in gaseous state.
You let the gass cool down and when the pressure/temperature ratio falls to the right ratio the NH3 liquefies.

I can understand, but how to maintain the temperature at such low level.

You said you allready have NH3 at -33°C, i presumed you meant at some high altitude (or polar region) which means you just need to keep the gass there.

If you are in STP conditions, you would need a well made vacuum flask for insulation, and you can keep it cool by circulating liquefied gas at -33°C inside it. To cool that cooling gass/liquid you use expansion.

An alternative would be to use a peltier module but i think efficiency would be lower (i'm not sure though) than with the above method.

Likes bsheikho
The Ammonia is at -33°C doesn't mean that the surrounding temperature is like this. This simply means that the Ammonia to be liquefied is at -33°C i.e. very close to its boiling point at atmospheric pressure. Question is what's the best and energy efficient way to liquefy the Ammonia. Kindly clarify what do you mean by using expansion. Can you suggest some kind of machinery that can do the job?

Check Linde's Process and Claude's Process. You will find patents and blueprints/schematics for both on google.

Expansion - when you increase the volume of a gas while keeping its mass the same its temperature decreases. Return the process for increassing the temperature.
Most modern refridgeration and air conditioning systems work in this manner.

Thanks! But I need machinery and information about what kind of manufacturers can make such machinery.

Ammonia is used as the refrigerant in low temperature chillers. Just google for that.

1. How do you liquefy Ammonia?

The best way to liquefy Ammonia is through compression. Ammonia gas can be compressed at high pressures and low temperatures to convert it into a liquid state.

2. What are the ideal conditions for liquefying Ammonia?

The ideal conditions for liquefying Ammonia include temperatures below -33.3 degrees Celsius and pressures above 8.5 atmospheres. These conditions allow for the efficient conversion of Ammonia gas into liquid form.

3. Can Ammonia be liquefied using chemical reactions?

No, Ammonia cannot be liquefied using chemical reactions. It can only be converted into a liquid state through physical processes such as compression.

4. Why is it important to liquefy Ammonia?

Liquefying Ammonia is important because it allows for easier storage and transportation of this highly useful chemical. Liquid Ammonia takes up less space and is less hazardous to handle compared to its gaseous form.

5. What are the safety precautions when liquefying Ammonia?

When handling Ammonia, safety precautions must be taken to prevent exposure to its toxic fumes. This includes using appropriate protective gear and following proper handling and storage procedures. It is also important to have proper ventilation and emergency protocols in place in case of accidents.