The Cartesian Diver Experiment

In summary, "The Cartesian Diver" is an experiment where a medicine dropper filled with water is placed in a graduated cylinder and covered with a stretched balloon. When pressure is applied to the balloon, the air in the dropper compresses and the diver sinks. This demonstrates Boyle's Law, which states that as air pressure increases, the volume of air decreases. The same process can be seen in scuba diving, where changes in air volume affect buoyancy.
AngelShare
Has anyone ever done an experiment called "The Cartesian Diver"? The instructions are below, just in case...:smile:

1. The medicine dropper is the "diver" which will be put into the water.

2. Fill the graduated cylinder with water to about an inch from the top.

3. Fill the medicine dropper almost the entire way with water. You may need to turn it over and fill it to get enough water into the dropper.

4. Place the diver into the graduated cylinder. It should just float on top of the water. If it sinks, you have too much water in the dropper. Take it out an release one or two drops of water.

5. Cut the balloon in half following the diagram.

6. Stretch the balloon to cover the mouth of the cylinder tightly and wrap the rubber band around the top to hold the balloon tightly in place.

7. Press on the balloon with your thumb. Watch the diver closely. Look at the water level in the diver. The diver should sink to the bottom of the cylinder. IF IT DOES NOT SINK, there is not enough water in the diver. Repeat steps 2-6, putting more water into the dropper.

I've done the experiment so now I have to do the questions.

1. What happens to the air in the top of the graduated cylinder when you press on the balloon?

When I press down on the top of the graduated cylinder, the air is pressed down as well.

2. What does this do to the water level in the diver? Why?

The water in the diver seems to go up to the top of the medicine dropper.

3. What happens to the air in the diver when you press on the balloon?

When I press on the balloon, the air in the diver appears to be going towards the bottom of the medicine dropper.

4. Why does the diver sink?

The diver sinks because the volume of the air decreases.

5. This is a demonstration of "Boyle's Law" which relates pressure and volume. Fill in the blanks below:

When air pressure increases, the volume of the air _______________. [decreases]

When air pressure decreases, the volume of the air ______________. [increases]

Could someone tell me if what I have now is right? I don't know the "why" part for number two and I don't think I have number four right (and/or explained all that well). If someone could explain it to me or give me a link, I would appreciate it.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
ohh man i wrote a huge explanation but after reaing it i became really confused.
1-When water goes inside (because the air was compressed, the divers weighs more, making the density greater.
or
2-When air is compressed the volume of the diver changes and is decreased, making densty greater.
or
3-Both...

I wrote a big explanation on the 2nd one, but then i thought about it, and the i came with the 1st idea i stated above...which makes more sense to me. In other words, i believe the volume is always the same, unless volume = the total space with no particles in it inside an object which would mean both 1st and 2nd idea are true...

Sry i couldn't help you that much except give you some ideas.

though i could help you by giving you this link:
http://physics.about.com/cs/airandfluidexp/a/040703a_2.htm
But makes me unsure of which of my ideas is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done the experiment so now I have to do the questions.
1. What happens to the air in the top of the graduated cylinder when you press on the balloon?
When I press down on the top of the graduated cylinder, the air is pressed down as well.
yes, but what happens to the pressure of that air?

2. What does this do to the water level in the diver? Why?
The water in the diver seems to go up to the top of the medicine dropper.
first part is correct. The why part has to do with what is happening to the pressure in the water
3. What happens to the air in the diver when you press on the balloon?
When I press on the balloon, the air in the diver appears to be going towards the bottom of the medicine dropper.
it may appear so, but does the size of the air bubble stay the same?
4. Why does the diver sink?
The diver sinks because the volume of the air decreases.
that's only a partial answer, why would the diver sink when the volume of air decreases? [hint: has to do with buoyancy]
5. This is a demonstration of "Boyle's Law" which relates pressure and volume. Fill in the blanks below:
When air pressure increases, the volume of the air _______________. [decreases]
correct
When air pressure decreases, the volume of the air ______________. [increases]
correct

Could someone tell me if what I have now is right? I don't know the "why" part for number two and I don't think I have number four right (and/or explained all that well). If someone could explain it to me or give me a link, I would appreciate it.:smile:
btw, this same process occurs if you were a scuba diver and submerged to various depths of water. The air bubble would be the volume of air in your lungs and the pressure changes relative to depth. If you were neutrally buoyant at some depth, you would neither sink nor float. However if you inhaled you increase the air space in your lungs and you float up, if you exhale, you decrease that same air space and sink. That is an important way divers can control their vertical position while submerged.

Last edited:
Thank you, I appreciate the help. ^_^

for question # 1.
what happens the the air pressure?

Related to The Cartesian Diver Experiment

What is the Cartesian Diver Experiment?

The Cartesian Diver Experiment is a simple physics experiment that demonstrates the principles of buoyancy and pressure. It involves creating a small diver figure using a pipette or eyedropper and observing how it sinks or floats in a bottle of water.

How does the Cartesian Diver work?

The Cartesian Diver works based on the principle of buoyancy. When the diver is placed in a bottle filled with water, the air inside the pipette is compressed, causing the diver to sink. When pressure is applied to the bottle, the air inside the pipette expands, making the diver float back up.

What materials do I need for the Cartesian Diver Experiment?

You will need a clear plastic bottle, a pipette or eyedropper, water, and a small weight, such as a paperclip or coin. Optional materials include food coloring and clay to create a diver figure.

What are some variations of the Cartesian Diver Experiment?

Some variations of the Cartesian Diver Experiment include using different shaped bottles, adding more than one diver, changing the weight of the diver, or using different liquids such as oil or saltwater. You can also try creating different shaped diver figures to see how it affects the results.

What scientific concepts can be learned from the Cartesian Diver Experiment?

The Cartesian Diver Experiment teaches students about the principles of buoyancy, pressure, and density. It also demonstrates how changes in pressure can affect the density of an object and cause it to sink or float. This experiment can also be used to discuss the scientific method and how to conduct a controlled experiment.