The CAUSE OF THE MOTION OF A FIRE HOSE

In summary: This is clearly a violation of the forum rules. In summary, this thread discusses the potential cause of motion seen in a fire hose with a water jet coming out of its nozzle. The discussion involves topics such as the inertia law, conservation of energy and momentum, and the specific motion being observed. The original poster also mentions their involvement in the International Young Physicists Tournament and their ability to research and consult experts for the competition. The thread is ultimately locked due to a violation of forum rules.
Shabdar
ok thank you

<< Moderator's Note -- Do NOT delete your posts after you have received help. That is cheating, and it will not be tolerated here. You agreed to the PF rules when you joined here, and the rules are ver explicit about not altering your posts after you have received help. You are temp banned from the PF. When the ban expires, do NOT do this again! I've restored your posts below, in addition to your PMs to me about the thread. >>
1. Homework Statement

suppose we have fire hose with water jet coming out of its nozzle. we'll see a subsequent motion. what is the cause of this motion?

2. Homework Equations

I haven't yet got to calculation past but I know angular velocity is the reason why this phenomenon happens in the first place.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I've so far read a paper about this, in which a group of students had investigated the relevant parameters and found their effect on the phenomenon. I've also seen the phenomenon with different water hoses and different water pressure in them.
I have an idea why the first turning motion happens but I do not know the reason why it happens (turns) in the opposite way.

this is one of the questions of the IYPT (International Young Physicists Tournament).
here is the link that shows we have the permission to research the internet or talk to experts;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...39;_Tournament
(last line in the "The Problems" part)

Also, The name of this website and the name of the expert who helps me will be mentioned in my references part in the tournament.

there is a movie I've recorded in a gas station. I can't upload it here because its too big. I can email it if anyone wants.

Shabdar said:
Consider we have a fire hose with water jet coming out of it's nozzle. When we release the hose, we'll see a subsequent motion. what is the cause of this motion?

Shabdar said:
Dear Berkeman,
This is one of the questions of the IYPT competition, in which students are free to research about the questions in any way they want. I apologize if I didn't know this must go in the homework category.
I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me where the homework part is because I do not know.

Shabdar said:
Dear Berkeman,

I apologize for bothering you again.
I just realized that everyone can see the questions I ask. since I don't want other competitors to know about this, I would appreciate it if you could delete that thread please.

Sincerely Yours,
Shabdar

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
suppose we have fire hose with water jet coming out of its nozzle. we'll see a subsequent motion. what is the cause of this motion?
Inertia law - conservation of energy and momentum - details depend on the particular motion of interest. You mean a coiled fire hose on the wall?

I think we need to see the original question.

Dear Simon Bridge,

Thank you for your reply.
not really. the fire hose is on the floor. how can I show you the video I've recorded?

You can upload the video to some website and link to it.
If you encode it ogg/theora you can use:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ogg-theora/putting-it-online/hosting-sites/
... though youtube is a fave.

note: a random oriented nozzle on the floor will whip back and forth - the cause is similar to how a pendulum goes back and forth. The rest of the coils will move according to how the water moves through them (and the head moves). The water may not be moving at a constant flow rate either.

Last edited by a moderator:
kjjjii

Last edited:
Thread locked

1. What causes a fire hose to move?

The motion of a fire hose is caused by the pressure of the water flowing through it. As the water is forced out of the nozzle, it creates a reaction force in the opposite direction, propelling the hose forward.

2. Is the motion of a fire hose affected by its size or shape?

Yes, the size and shape of a fire hose can impact its motion. A larger or wider hose may have more surface area for the water to push against, resulting in a stronger forward force. Additionally, the shape of the nozzle can also affect the direction and velocity of the water, thus impacting the motion of the hose.

3. Can the material of the fire hose affect its motion?

The material of a fire hose can also play a role in its motion. A more rigid material may result in a straighter and more powerful stream of water, while a more flexible material may cause the hose to bend and move in different directions.

4. Are there other factors that can influence the motion of a fire hose?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the motion of a fire hose. The pressure and flow rate of the water, as well as the angle at which the nozzle is held, can all impact the direction and force of the hose's motion.

5. How does the motion of a fire hose contribute to its effectiveness?

The motion of a fire hose is essential for its effectiveness. The force and direction of the water stream allow firefighters to aim and control where the water is directed, making it easier to extinguish fires and protect surrounding areas.