• Biology
  • Thread starter Darshit Sharma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nervous system
Darshit Sharma
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Homework Statement
The cell bodies of which of the following neurons are present in the grey matter of spinal cord?
(a) Motor neuron and Sensory neuron
(b) Association neuron and Motor neuron
(c) Sensory neuron and Association neuron
(d) Sensory neuron, Motor neuron, Association neuron
Relevant Equations
Locations of neurons
TL;DR Summary: Location of cell bodies of neurons.

***The cell bodies of which of the following neurons are present in the grey matter of the spinal cord?***

*(a) Motor neuron and Sensory neuron
(b) Association neuron and Motor neuron
(c) Sensory neuron and Association neuron
(d) Sensory neuron, Motor neuron, Association neuron*

----------

This was a test question. (But please don't close the question just reading this line)

I was first confused between A and D somehow. But after a glance at my textbook, I was way more confused than before.
Here are some clicks:

1710518921322.png

In this picture, they have depicted that the cell bodies of sensory neurons lie in the dorsal root ganglion. Thus, B seems correct.

1710518935008.png

However, in this picture, they have shown the cell body of sensory neurons (green outline) lies in the grey matter of the spinal cord. Hence D seems correct.

----------

So the final question is where do the cell bodies of the following neurons lie:
1. Sensory -> ______
2. Motor -> ______
3. Association --> _____

----------
I surfed the internet but couldn't find the answer to my confusion about which image is correct. Sorry for English errors.

---------
Edit 1:
1710519620602.jpeg

I've circled out the sensory neuron cell body as depicted in the second image

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The cell bodies of most sensory neurons are in peripheral ganglia and therefore not in the grey matter of the spinal cord.
Therefore all the answers including sensory neurons are wrong.

You've circled an interneuron. The sensory neuron to the right is labeled sensory neuron.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21, Darshit Sharma and berkeman
BillTre said:
The cell bodies of most sensory neurons are in peripheral ganglia and therefore not in the grey matter of the spinal cord.
Therefore all the answers including sensory neurons are wrong.

You've circled an interneuron. The sensory neuron to the right is labeled sensory neuron.
Ohkk they have chosen the wrong colour outline. Thanks sir....

[Mentor Note: the information in this post is not correct. Please see the subsequent replies below for corrections]

The gray matter of the spinal cord contains cell bodies of three types of neurons: Sensory neurons transmit information from receptors to the central nervous system. Motor neurons transmit signals from the central nervous system to effectors, controlling the body's movements and reactions. Association neurons are involved in information processing and signal transmission within the spinal cord.
Thus, all three types of neurons have cell bodies in the gray matter of the spinal cord.

Last edited by a moderator:
AlexisBlackwell said:
The gray matter of the spinal cord contains cell bodies of three types of neurons: Sensory neurons transmit information from receptors to the central nervous system. Motor neurons transmit signals from the central nervous system to effectors, controlling the body's movements and reactions. Association neurons are involved in information processing and signal transmission within the spinal cord.
Thus, all three types of neurons have cell bodies in the gray matter of the spinal cord.
Unless I forgetting some kind of sensory neuron, this is wrong.

To my knowledge, no cell bodies of sensory neurons are found in the spinal cord. Only the axonal endings of sensory cells whose cell bodies are in peripheral ganglia are found in the spinal cord (more dorsal parts).

Likes berkeman
BillTre said:
Unless I forgetting some kind of sensory neuron, this is wrong.

To my knowledge, no cell bodies of sensory neurons are found in the spinal cord. Only the axonal endings of sensory cells whose cell bodies are in peripheral ganglia are found in the spinal cord (more dorsal parts).
I agree with you. From the Khan Academy module, for example:

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...m/a/overview-of-neuron-structure-and-function

The central nervous system (CNS) consists of the brain and the spinal cord. It is in the CNS that all of the analysis of information takes place.

The peripheral nervous system (PNS), which consists of the neurons and parts of neurons found outside of the CNS, includes sensory neurons and motor neurons. Sensory neurons bring signals into the CNS, and motor neurons carry signals out of the CNS.

The cell bodies of some PNS neurons, such as the motor neurons that control skeletal muscle (the type of muscle found in your arm or leg), are located in the CNS. These motor neurons have long extensions (axons) that run from the CNS all the way to the muscles they connect with (innervate). The cell bodies of other PNS neurons, such as the sensory neurons that provide information about touch, position, pain, and temperature, are located outside of the CNS, where they are found in clusters known as ganglia.

Likes DeBangis21
There are a couple of exceptions I can think of:
  • sensory cells in the retina (embryonically derived from the CNS) and
  • possibly pineal sensory cells (I don't really know much about them, but based on location, probably of CNS origin).