How Does the Chain Rule Explain Acceleration in Terms of Distance?

In summary, the chain rule is a method for finding the derivative of a composite function. This is done by breaking down the function into smaller functions and using the derivatives of those smaller functions to find the derivative of the larger function. In the context of acceleration, we can use this rule to find the derivative of velocity with respect to distance, which can be useful in certain situations. However, this may not always be the most practical approach, as it depends on the information available and the specific problem at hand.
christian0710
Hi I'm learning about The chainrule, and I understand how to apply the chain rule on various problems, but there is a problems I don't understand how works: 1) The book I'm reading writes acceleration as

a=v*(dv)/dt

And IT argues that v=ds/dt and a=dv/dt (which i understand)

So therefore by applying the chain rule we get

a=dv/ds*ds/dt =v*dv/ds.

The part i don't understand is: How did we get dv/ds by applying the chain rule? What does the derivative of Velocity with respect to distance even men? Usually it's ds/dv and not dv/ds.

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:
The part i don't understand is: How did we get dv/ds by applying the chain rule?

Yes, s is a function of t and (as long as it is invertible) you can therefore write v as a function of s.

christian0710 said:
What does the derivative of Velocity with respect to distance even men?
What do derivatives usually mean?

Likes christian0710
Orodruin said:
Yes, s is a function of t and (as long as it is invertible) you can therefore write v as a function of s.What do derivatives usually mean?

Thank you for the reply
invertible derivatives is new for me, So i assume it means the change in velocity with respect to distance but don't really see a) how it works out in practice and b) why you can just do that (there was no proof in the book):
if velocity is v=2t then s=1t^2 +Vo so a=v*dv/ds =2t(dv/ds) but how do you find dv/ds?

christian0710 said:
but how do you find dv/ds?
This would depend on the information you have at hand. If you have v as a function of s, you would simply perform the derivative.

Sometimes the relation between ##v## and ##s## is more useful than that between ##v## and ##t,## while the latter is more often used for it illustrates ##a.##

some times you may want to realize that V is a function of S that is of course a function of t

V=V(S(T))
so taking the derivative (with respect to t) you are going to obtain:
a=(dV/dS)V

there is nothing deeper than this! The general chain rule is: having

g=g(h(x))

g'=g'(h(x))h'(x)

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

How is the chain rule used in physics?

The chain rule is used in physics to calculate the acceleration of an object. It is particularly useful when dealing with complex motions, such as circular or elliptical motion, where the acceleration is constantly changing.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity divided by the change in time over a given interval. It represents the overall change in velocity during that interval. Instantaneous acceleration, on the other hand, is the acceleration at a specific point in time. It is found by taking the derivative of the velocity function.

How does the chain rule apply to acceleration?

The chain rule applies to acceleration because acceleration is the derivative of velocity, and velocity is often a composite function. By using the chain rule, we can find the derivative of the composite function and determine the acceleration at any given point in time.

What are some real-life examples of the chain rule and acceleration?

Real-life examples of the chain rule and acceleration include the motion of a pendulum, the trajectory of a projectile, and the orbit of planets around the sun. The chain rule is also used in engineering to design objects that move in a specific way, such as roller coasters or cars.